Malls Cancel Plans To Track Shoppers' Movements

HardOCP News

[H] News
That didn't take long, now did it? All it took was a little political pressure and ta-da! No more shopping mall tracking program.

At a press conference on Sunday, Schumer said the malls should have given shoppers the choice to opt-in, instead of the choice to opt-out, which they could do by turning their cell phones off. In a press release, the senator stated that "Personal cell phones are just that—personal—and should not be used as tracking devices by private companies."

He further added "Next time we'll simply track people and make no mention of it at all"

He further added "Next time we'll simply track people and make no mention of it at all"

Pretty much. I was at a security expo a few months back. There, I heard more than one company referring to how they wanted to implement this tech in their shopping malls.

I think there should be a system phone setting which adds a flag that says 'this signal is private', and tracking companies should be regulated such that they follow the consumer's wishes.

Anyone miss the part where they announced that they cancelled it on a Sunday? Sounds more like "we got everything we need on Black Friday. We can tell everyone we 'caved into public pressure' and cancel the program now"

Honestly. I have no problem with this kind of tracking in principal, but it needs to be opt in. Maybe give people a coupon or something for participating. I'm sure more than enough would participate to gather useful data.

The problem with any type of opt-in statistical survey is that it becomes skewed from the get-go.

Back