Cool Glass Keyboard Concept

I don't see it being useful or effective.

Other than the cool look value, I don't see anyone purchasing one.

Apple is already drafting the lawsuit! :p

Eh, it uses camera to register keystrokes, not capacitive touch. Seems to me everything that's done with camera has a nasty lag to it. If he does that, I hope he address that lag issue.

The lack of (good) tactile feedback is always a killer for input devices like this.

I really fail to see this point other than it looks neat. Outside someone wanting something that is more decor, I see this as extremely cost prohibitive.

while neat in concept (think Star Trek), I don't really see the practicality of it due to the lack of tactile response from individual keys. I mean sure it might be something that one needs to simply get used to, but I have to wonder that the sudden stop of the finger strike, as opposed to the slow deceleration when you hit a physical key with resistance that gives, might pose long term finger problems

Kickstarter rocks. I've supported a few projects at various levels. Some friends of mine just funded for their project on Kickstarter to the tune of US$113,000:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zombieorpheus/journeyquest-season-2

Debating on this glass keyboard one. There's about 6 others that I'm considering supporting at this point - lots of great art projects, games, books, and music that I think are more deserving of my funding.

I can see this being nice for showcase rooms or conference rooms for business offices. May not be practical or desirable for personal use but would add some flare to a conference room.

I think the styling is damn nice.

I'm not too sure about the lack of real keys.....I know for myself, sometimes I don't hit a key perfectly on - and slightly slide my finger over to do a key-stroke. That action is gone without any "feel" on the keyboard.
I'm sure a person who types constantly will get over it fast.

This is the kind of aesthetics we will have in say like.. 250 to 500 years from now.. right? Except that anything can be displayed in the glass/plastic.

One advantage of this is that you are not physically locked to a certain keyboard layout, and using the same physical device you can has anything and everything

I don't mind touch interfaces much. Heck, I typed pretty fast on a Samsung Galaxy tablet display in Best Buy. However, the lack of tactile feedback makes me unable to touch type which I do on the computer. I have to continuously see the keys. At the same time, though, at least the screen is displaying the program I'm typing into along with the on-screen keyboard. For a desktop PC, however, it'll make it a bit more difficult since my keyboard slideout is just below my monitor. Using this will defeat the purpose of touch typing on my computer.

But, the day we can get tactile feedback with pressure-sensitive keys via optical sensing is the day we're probably sending humans to Mars and back and beyond. I think there is a laser-based sensor to determine pressure but I don't believe it's small enough to be practical for something like this. It's a cool idea by Giddings nonetheless just like the [absurdly expensive] Optimus keyboard.

Blackberry Torch has tactile feedback on their touchscreen keyboard. I'm sure it's possible with this glass keyboard as well. Maybe put a little vibrating motor in the palm rest. It doesn't have to be on every key.

there will always be something missing for us old timers, the real feel and noise of the key strocks

for future generation yes it will be nice to have if they can get use to it (like those rubbery keyboards)

i do agree with others that shape is kinda killing for me as well, specially the fact that it is little on high from the surface. mice IDK how will it work cause there was no explanation on that.

The lack of (good) tactile feedback is always a killer for input devices like this.

^This. long term typing on a keyboard that has no 'feel' leads to hurting fingers. Also the fact that touch typists rest their fingers on the home row while typing would lead to a whole bunch of unwanted characters on the screen.

I don't mind touch interfaces much. Heck, I typed pretty fast on a Samsung Galaxy tablet display in Best Buy. However, the lack of tactile feedback makes me unable to touch type which I do on the computer. I have to continuously see the keys. At the same time, though, at least the screen is displaying the program I'm typing into along with the on-screen keyboard. For a desktop PC, however, it'll make it a bit more difficult since my keyboard slideout is just below my monitor. Using this will defeat the purpose of touch typing on my computer.

Not necessarily. As this is a one-purpose device (keyboard), you can do something with it rather impossible to do with a tablet...put a couple of raised bumps on the screen. Most keyboards have little 'nubs' or bumps on the 'F' and 'J' keys for this reason...to help touch typists "find" the home row without looking. Given the wrist rests on the device, a couple nubs where the 'F' and 'J' keys would be (or, changing language, the same spot in whatever-you-are-using-home-row-has) should be perfectly sufficient.

I can see this working if the surface isn't completely smooth and there is a faint tactile outline of each key on the keyboard. That way you can feel where the boundaries for each key are. More than likely though, this will end up relegated to the cool idea but too expensive bin along with that keyboard that had video screen on each key.

No way I could stand typing on that. Maybe I missed it, but is the whole thing pressure sensitive? I just imagine resting my hands like normal and typing a bunch of jibberish or clicking all over the place accidentally.

Hey, what if you broke a glass key? I wonder how much that'd cost to fix, if that was even possible, lol....

Can you say "carpal tunnel" kids?

I knew you could...

Yes CPS exists today with current keyboards, I know. However part of the reason for CPS is because of the lack of 'feedback' with existing keyboards. You finger essentially hits a wall over and over again after a brief bit of natural resistance. This glass keyboard offers no resistance what so ever and will accelerate CPS symptoms. I see this keyboard as a niche product. Sort of like the keyboard that's projected onto a desk. Looks cool but not very functional.

Whoops, can't help right now in that aspect (why pick this time of year for fund raising!)

However if you do make it or do it again here are some freebie of things to try.

1.a Instead of printing the keys, see if you can get a fine enough LCD mesh in it without it being too detectable, I'm talking like those glass digital clocks not a monitor.

1.b That is for step to, programmable keyboard! change the layout, the functions positions. Let people put the keys where they want and what they want and resize.

2 If it doesn't interfere with your pickup system allow the glass to be lit

Uhm, no thank you.

Last thing I want is to bleed out to death after smashing my keyboard in a Call of Duty induced rage.

its been done its called that glass desk from tron 1983. and i woukd buy one to have the hlass desk from tron. fuck tron came up with the touch glas screen idea too.

oh and the glass see through computer stuff has been seen on tons of tv shows already too and that is the only reason yo get one.

Just looking at it makes my finger joints ache. I can't help but think that I'd chuck it out the window after an afternoon of coding or doing research. But, that's probably a consequence of letting 'artists' design things instead of engineers.

No thank you, I'll stick to this fine IBM Model M made in the USA back in 1993, still clickety-clackin' under my (now) pain-free nose pickers. ;)

Seems very similar to the stuff they demoed in microsofts research department.

This. The only distinction that separates tablets and computers for me is tactile feedback. He's adding the novelty of glass and cameras to remove the best part of a keyboard: the keys. Penny wise, pound foolish.

They already raised over 30k and still have 30 or so days to full the 50k. This is definitely going through, whether you like it or not lol.

Back