Please Help: Looking for a Graphics Card w/ 3 DVI ports and Supports Eyefinity

HKS724

n00b
Hello All,

I am new on this forum. I just want to thank the members and moderators of this community that make this forum such a fun place and a great resource.

I am looking to have a 3 monitor set up with Dell UltraSharp U2212HM monitors that I recently purchased during Black Friday. Please refer to the link here. I am looking for a graphics card that can support 3 Display Ports. I am relatively new at this so I am not sure if there are such cards on the market right now. If not a 2DVI/1 DP would do. I also would like to run Eyefinity on the PC as well. I am not a gamer so a super high performing graphics card is not on the top of my list. I am looking for great quality/performance as well as good value. I figured I ask since Cyber Monday is tomorrow and there may be good deals to be had. Thank you so much and I look forward to your responses.

Hello All,

I am new on this forum. I just want to thank the members and moderators of this community that make this forum such a fun place and a great resource.

I am looking to have a 3 monitor set up with Dell UltraSharp U2212HM monitors that I recently purchased during Black Friday. Please refer to the link here. I am looking for a graphics card that can support 3 Display Ports. I am relatively new at this so I am not sure if there are such cards on the market right now. If not a 2DVI/1 DP would do. I also would like to run Eyefinity on the PC as well. I am not a gamer so a super high performing graphics card is not on the top of my list. I am looking for great quality/performance as well as good value. I figured I ask since Cyber Monday is tomorrow and there may be good deals to be had. Thank you so much and I look forward to your responses.

1 6990 of any brand.

Or an Asus 6950 & 6970 both have 3 display ports on them. (just a warning, the Asus are 3 slots, and can ONLY be crossfired with the exact same Asus card, since they are special)

Asus 6970 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121430

Asus 6950 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121431&Tpk=asus 6950

6990's http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...100006662&isNodeId=1&Description=6990&x=0&y=0

P.S. If you use all 3 with display port, you will not get the horrible sync line bug if you went 2dvi/1dp

P.S. If you use all 3 with display port, you will not get the horrible sync line bug if you went 2dvi/1dp

Thank you so much! Would you mind elaborating on this sync bug?

Also, is there a significant difference in quality between DP and DVI? Will DP in fact render VGA/DVI obsolete?

If performance is not of the essence.......

Look for an older HD 5870 E6 model.
Those had all miniDP ports and if I recall a number of options for connectivity.

If you want performance and the newest card with the least headache, get the HD 6990.:)

Sync line bug? Is that what it is??? Vertical line up the middle of the monitor? Horrible!!

What is the fix? I have the original 2 slot Asus HD6950 reference cards...only 2 mini DP

Sync line bug? Is that what it is??? Vertical line up the middle of the monitor? Horrible!!

What is the fix? I have the original 2 slot Asus HD6950 reference cards...only 2 mini DP

Its a bug with the ATI video cards, something to do with the DVI and the Display ports not playing well with each other. There is no fix for it unless you use all 3 monitors with the same port.

You can google it and check. Numerous people (including me back in the day when i used 1 6970) had it.

Nothing you can do to fix it

It's just really annoying to see a line go across the screen while you game....it really did bother me quite a bit...Just my personal experience

Thank you sirmonkey! What are you guys' views in the quality difference between DVI and Display Port?

Ill be honest I did not notice it. The thing with display port is it has a WAY higher bandwidth, and can pass threw audio as well.

Just another heads up, if you watch a movie, or even move a website to the monitor with the sync issue you will notice it as well. But its not as bad if you were gaming.

But that might not bother some people.

Ill be honest I did not notice it. The thing with display port is it has a WAY higher bandwidth, and can pass threw audio as well.

Just another heads up, if you watch a movie, or even move a website to the monitor with the sync issue you will notice it as well. But its not as bad if you were gaming.

But that might not bother some people.

Hmm..thank you for that. That would bother me a lot! I may just have to drop by a local tech store to see both side by side because I have what may be an uncanny, possibly unwarranted urge to utilize Display Port.

Are there any known issues with utilizing all three ports (DVI, DP, and HDMI with a DP adapter) as I would like to in the recommended card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=3891137&SID=

Last edited:
You can also use all DP with the XFX 6770 Eyefinity5 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150574 $124.99
XFX gives you lifetime warranty, the Sapphire card is maybe quieter due to being dual-slot.

You need additional mDP->DP adapters ($10 each) as the card will probably not ship with a sufficient number of them.

Thank chithanh! Would the 1GB memory be a concern?

If I were to purchase this card, is there any way I can mitigate the tearing issue? i.e. using an mini DP/DVI adapter for one of the connections or would that just be pointless adapting? :confused:

Last edited:
oh yeah, annoying as hell, obvious in DVD playback, sucks

Its a bug with the ATI video cards, something to do with the DVI and the Display ports not playing well with each other. There is no fix for it unless you use all 3 monitors with the same port.

You can google it and check. Numerous people (including me back in the day when i used 1 6970) had it.

Nothing you can do to fix it

It's just really annoying to see a line go across the screen while you game....it really did bother me quite a bit...Just my personal experience

1 6990 of any brand.

Or an Asus 6950 & 6970 both have 3 display ports on them. (just a warning, the Asus are 3 slots, and can ONLY be crossfired with the exact same Asus card, since they are special)

The ASUS EAH6950 DCII can be CrossFire'd with a conventional HD6950 - I'm doing that right now, using a XFX HD6950 as the second card. All six monitor outputs work too as I have a six-monitor rig. I am *NOT* using Eyefinity.

The ASUS EAH6950 DCII can be CrossFire'd with a conventional HD6950 - I'm doing that right now, using a XFX HD6950 as the second card. All six monitor outputs work too as I have a six-monitor rig. I am *NOT* using Eyefinity.

Wow thats great news!

but thats odd. Even Asus support said you could only use the exact same Asus card with 3 displayports for Crossfire. Good to see they changed that.

they did, there a 6970 and 6950 as well.. 6970 is out of stock at newegg though.

Well with those cards, that makes it so people can buy cheaper monitors without display port....and not have to deal with the Sync issue.

Very nice indeed Sapphire!

The rolling tear is a complete non issue as long as your odd monitor (2DP+DVI)

or (2DVI+DP) is not your center monitor. Please ignore the haters.

Wow thats great news!

but thats odd. Even Asus support said you could only use the exact same Asus card with 3 displayports for Crossfire. Good to see they changed that.

I'm not using Eyefinity (as I use an asymetrical monitor layout) so that could be true in Eyefinity, but as you can see I have all six monitors running off the ASUS card and I know CrossFire is working because the beauty of multimonitor is that I can run MSI Afterburner while playing games to watch GPU usage and temps:

5941109279_4280ebcd75_z.jpg

What I did notice is that the ASUS card runs a heck of a lot cooler (30 degrees Celcius less) than the XFX. Overclocking the ASUS card is impossible until I get better cooling on the XFX (probably an Arctic Accelero Xtreme II Plus).

Thank chithanh! Would the 1GB memory be a concern?
Only if you are gaming at resolutions above 1920x1200.

If I were to purchase this card, is there any way I can mitigate the tearing issue?
The tearing happens only if you mix connectors of different types. If you use only DisplayPort connectors, then there will be no tearing. If you use only DVI/HDMI connectors, there will be no tearing either.

Passive DP->DVI adapters count as DVI, active DP->DVI adapters count as DP when it comes to tearing.
Do guys foresee any problems with using this adapter cable to connect one of the monitors' DP to my XPS 17 (HDMI)? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CSRF9M/ref=ox_ya_os_product
You can't connect a DP monitor to a DVI/HDMI graphics card. You need DVI/HDMI input on the monitor or DP output on the graphics card.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The rolling tear is a complete non issue as long as your odd monitor (2DP+DVI)

or (2DVI+DP) is not your center monitor. Please ignore the haters.

haters?

I paid a lot of money for this crap, being disappointed when my friends are over watching a movie and are like "what is that huge line down the screen?" makes me a hater?

Back