Star Trek 2 Release Date Announced

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Good news/Bad news and then Good news/Bad news again. The date for the release of Star Trek 2 has been announced. At least, you have something to look forward to now: That’s the good news. The bad news is Star Trek 2 will not be released until May 17th, 2013. Now, this release will be shot in true 3D….that’s both the good news and the bad news according to your feelings on 3D.

Whether Del Toro will come aboard or not, Star Trek 2 is slated to commence (Engage!) shooting on January 15, 2012, with Team Abrams and the gang from his first Trek again ready to go where no man has gone before.

Please don't mess this one up Mr. Abrams... I don't want to see shitty gimmicks like objects pointed at the camera, and more stupid 3D shit that everyone of these directors get tempted to do.

I'm trying to figure out what role Benico Del Toro would play if he were to sign on...

At least it being shot in 3D at least means it won't be a shitty conversion. 3D could could work in the favor of Star Trek depending how they do it. Still I'm amused that they're going to keep trying to push it since 3D ticket sales have slowed dramatically.

Am I the only one shocked by the delay in filming the new one?
The first one was a hit back in 2009. Why 2 1/2 years before starting the next one?

Even the original ones which were the first of their kind were approved for sequels faster than this one.

I, as a Star Trek guy, actually like the reboot. more power to them. Better be good as I could care less (at this point) for the 3D.

Funny, I read the entry and it all seemed like bad news to me. Oh well. May, 2013 is still a ways out, and maybe the world will end on time at the end of 2012...

I loved the reboot...

Did it not do well for them not to start the 2nd one right away?

I loved the reboot...

Did it not do well for them not to start the 2nd one right away?

It did very well, but Abrams is very busy and they wanted to wait until they had something worthy of a sequel or something along those lines. The sequel was announced pretty much right away after the first one was a big hit. It was supposed to release next year but it got delayed.

My problem with the reboot was the destruction of Vulcan, that simply cannot stand. But this is Star Trek and as Spock says "There are always possibilities."

When 3D is done right it can add to the experience and Star Trek is obviously material that can use it in interesting ways.

JJ Abrarms has to be one of the most overrated people in hollywood. The first reboot was utter shit and the story, villain and lore were just terrible. I'll wait for netflix for this.

JJ Abrarms has to be one of the most overrated people in hollywood. The first reboot was utter shit and the story, villain and lore were just terrible. I'll wait for netflix for this.

I'm a Star Trek fan, anything Star Trek I'm there but I do agree with a lot of this. The plot and story in the first Abrarms movie weren't that good but what made this movie was the genesis story. It answers the question of how did Spock, Kirk, Bones, Scotty and the others came together and it had never been told on TV or in the movies before.

Abrarms is going to need a SUBSTANTIALLY better story and plot for his second installment.

I'm also a huge star trek fan and I don't think it was shit. I saw every episode of TOS, Enterprise, Voyager, DS9 (which I wasn't a huge fan of...I know, I know) and I think the movie was great. Granted, I'm not sure how the destruction of Vulcan will fit in but it was a well crafted, well executed movie that appealed to both die hard trekkies and the mass. One nice side benefit was I could go see it with a woman and not feel embarrassed. Better yet, she liked it! The music score was fantastic as well.

Try that with Wrath of Khan.

Try that with Wrath of Khan.

I can agree with you on DS9, my least favorite Star Trek series which means it's still better than any other show except the other Star Trek series.

But Wrath of Khan is one of the best sci-fi movies ever made, it got a great villain , history, plot and what ever good sci-fi movies needs, an ultimate weapon. And the way it ties into Search for Spock, just great stuff.

Oh, and this music in Wrath of Kahn and Search for Spock, WAY better than the other movies, some of the great James Horner's best work.

I wasn't saying Wrath of Khan sucks, I love it.

I'm saying, good luck finding a good looking woman under 30 who:

1. Will even consider watching it with you
2. Actually likes it

I wasn't saying Wrath of Khan sucks, I love it.

I'm saying, good luck finding a good looking woman under 30 who:

1. Will even consider watching it with you
2. Actually likes it

Wrath of Kahn is 30 years old. Kids don't appreciate a lot of older things, like black and white movies, Clark Gable or James Stewart movies, etc. A lot of young people would consider Star Wars just as geeky and stale because of its age, has nothing to do with its quality.

Wrath of Kahn is 30 years old. Kids don't appreciate a lot of older things, like black and white movies, Clark Gable or James Stewart movies, etc. A lot of young people would consider Star Wars just as geeky and stale because of its age, has nothing to do with its quality.

You're not listening to me, as usual. I agree with you that it has nothing to do with quality. I'm simply saying that for multiple reasons, women find the latest star trek approachable.

It's simply a nice bonus.

You're not listening to me, as usual. I agree with you that it has nothing to do with quality. I'm simply saying that for multiple reasons, women find the latest star trek approachable.

It's simply a nice bonus.

I heard you perfectly and what I said is that Wrath of Khan is of a different generation than the latest Star Trek film. That was kind of the WHOLE point of the reboot, to make it hipper for a younger crowd, Abrams even said as much.

I don't know who old you were but in 1982 it wouldn't have been hard or geeky to take a 30 year old women to see Wrath of Khan, indeed women that age in 1982 would have seen the Star Trek TOS on first run network TV.

iPhone is better than Microsoft. iOS shits on Windows Phone 7. The Samsung Slate Tablet blows.

The plot for Star Trek 2: The Wrath of KHAAAAAAAN!: The Vulcan home planet exploded, altering the orbit of Ceti Alpha 5. Hilarity and lens flare ensue...in 3D!

I shall leave JJ as he left me, as he left the franchise: marooned for all eternity at the center of a dead planet. Buried alive, buried alive...

The plot for Star Trek 2: The Wrath of KHAAAAAAAN!: The Vulcan home planet exploded, altering the orbit of Ceti Alpha 5. Hilarity and lens flare ensue...in 3D!

I shall leave JJ as he left me, as he left the franchise: marooned for all eternity at the center of a dead planet. Buried alive, buried alive...

LOL!

Come on... the industry really needs to get off their 3D kick for another 10 years. It doesn't work and no one cares...

As a long time trek fan ... Are you fucking HIGH? the new star trek was great and saved a dying franchise! I love all the old series but lets face it JJ saved trek for all of us if you wanna hate on somebody go hate on Lucas for raping his own creation over and over again!

Come on... the industry really needs to get off their 3D kick for another 10 years. It doesn't work and no one cares...

It does work, but not in all if not most cases these days. The problem is that its utilized for it's own sake to drive profits rather than being used in interesting and effective ways organically But Star Trek, it's PERFECT for 3D, right subject matter, right crowd, and because it's science fiction it can be used for it's own sake and still work with the movie.

As a long time trek fan ... Are you fucking HIGH? the new star trek was great and saved a dying franchise! I love all the old series but lets face it JJ saved trek for all of us if you wanna hate on somebody go hate on Lucas for raping his own creation over and over again!

JJ did what he needed to do, he made the franchise interesting for a younger crowd while actually keeping most of the older crowd happy, not an easy thing to do. I would have been perfectly happy with the movie save for the destruction of Vulcan, that to be was nothing but an up yours to the older crowd, indeed I think the death of Vulcan was a bit of a double entendre, at least least it was to me. Vulcans are my favorite race in the Star Trek universe because they symbolize the conflicted nature of humanity like the little devil and little angle shtick. It's something that I identify with, I am a Gemini after all.

JJ did what he needed to do, he made the franchise interesting for a younger crowd while actually keeping most of the older crowd happy, not an easy thing to do. I would have been perfectly happy with the movie save for the destruction of Vulcan, that to be was nothing but an up yours to the older crowd, indeed I think the death of Vulcan was a bit of a double entendre, at least least it was to me. Vulcans are my favorite race in the Star Trek universe because they symbolize the conflicted nature of humanity like the little devil and little angle shtick. It's something that I identify with, I am a Gemini after all.

Gemini here too.. The great thing about it is it's a time line change and we know that that can be used and undone. Vulcan's destuction was kinda harsh but very dramatic.

Gemini here too.. The great thing about it is it's a time line change and we know that that can be used and undone. Vulcan's destuction was kinda harsh but very dramatic.

The things that makes Star Trek special are its great storytelling, limitless possibilities and boundless hope of the future, and with time travel and parallel universes nothing is set in stone.:D

Im happy as long as they bring Karl Urban back as McCoy. He was awesome in the reboot.

He's been pretty busy. He's been doing Judge Dredd,and is supposed to start doing the sequel to The Chronicles of Riddick.
I can't really say I liked the reboot,too much screwing around with Star Trek lore,and the actors just didn't measure up to their original counterparts. And I never thought of Abrams work as that great,Cloverfield in particular was the worst excuse for a kaiju movie I ever saw. As with Trek,he tried to imitate a classic and failed miserably,Godzilla could beat his laughable monster with both claws tied behind his back!

Back