EB Games Putting New & Used Games Together?

HardOCP News

[H] News
If this rumor is true, I am not sure what EB Games is trying to accomplish other than giving itself a big fat black eye.

I can confirm this 100% we were given instructions last week to start this. We were told that we were to merge all used games with the new games and have them sectioned off by one of four specific genres they gave us. They told us that the new copy must be on the very bottom of the pile and the used ones stacked on top and that we were to change all price stickers to the white ones. They also instructed us to discard all materials advertising used games. Now the stickers do have the words NEW or USED on them but no one looks at that.

Not surprising really since they make much more from used games then new so anything that pushes used copies, over new ones, would be in their best interest.

Personally when new game is $60 and a used copy is only $5 less I'd rather pay the extra and support the developers/publishers.

lol Canadians ... can never believe them. They think dressing up like black guys & saying yo yo yo is cool too. :rolleyes:

Is this to help the publishers make more dosh from the DLC, you normally got provided a free code for...Preying on the dumb consumers out there?

So all you have to do is pay attention to the price tags...

If they started trying to price used games as new and pawn them off as new (which they kind of do anyway from some other shit I've read about Gamestop) then we have a problem.

Can't say I've ever bought a used game. Always thought it's better to get a brand new unplayed copy. Stores are getting pretty shady since they lost a lot of their business to e-tailers.

Wrong. They made money from the inital sale, part of the value of it is being able to resell it. Should Ford get a cut when i sell my used car?

Your rebuttal just further proves him right.

They make nothing off of used game sales the same way Ford makes nothing off of a used car sale.

The difference between the two, you most likely drove your ford for several years before selling it, and the next buyer is aware there has been wear and tear on it, and it is not the same experience as buying it new from ford themselves.

A video game someone beats in 2 days, then sells off the same experience to someone else who beats it in 2 days, who sells the same experience off to someone else who beats it in 2 days, and on and on and on... So several people are getting the same experience that the company spent time and money to create without the company getting any compensation.

Horrible, especially when there is a general knowledge from TV shows/marketing that stuff you want to sell should be at EYE LEVEL, and usually sells more.

They should put the NEW games up top if they were going to be slick, but ebgames here, eh?..... not slick, as always

the only reason I go there is to find a shitty old game walmart or someone doesn't have... and ill only buy it for peanuts in their used game section. I see no reason to buy a new game from those places... AT ALL. It's more money and you get it practically the same time as an online preorder!

I think the attitude of the video game industry (primarily corporations) towards used games is disgusting, and in it's very nature destructive to the market. People should be allowed to chose to buy used games just like you can buy anything used, however this is not what the article is about.

This concept (in the article) isn't just selling used games, this is a dirty marketing trick to sell used games to people who otherwise wouldn't have bought them. Harming both the supplier and the end consumer to the benefit of the middle man. If it is indeed true, there could be bigger problems in the future for EB and Gamestop (they are one and the same).

The difference between the two, you most likely drove your ford for several years before selling it, and the next buyer is aware there has been wear and tear on it, and it is not the same experience as buying it new from ford themselves.

A video game someone beats in 2 days, then sells off the same experience to someone else who beats it in 2 days, who sells the same experience off to someone else who beats it in 2 days, and on and on and on... So several people are getting the same experience that the company spent time and money to create without the company getting any compensation.

Got a problem with used book sales too don't you?

wait this is misleading...we all know Fords don't last years lol

Got a problem with used book sales too don't you?

Nope, books get damaged, pages torn, crease lines, yellowing of age or dampness... a used book is never in 100% condition of new.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against used game sales, I have bought used, and I have sold used. I just dislike when people try and justify the used game market without comparing it apples to apples with something else. There is nothing else out there where you buy a product brand new, then someone else buys it from you at 12% of what you paid ($8 when you paid $60, if you manage to trade it in fast enough) then resells it for $55, and the person saving the $5, gets the exact same experience as the original purchaser because there is no degradation from time or use.

Price the game for 3+ sales then instead of one.

I swear, some of you just want a reason to hate on gamestop, sony, or whatever the flavor of the month is to hate on.

This is marketing..pure and simple.

They make more money off used games, that is their primary business. It makes sense they want to put used games in the spotlight to encourage people to buy them. They aren't denying people who want to buy new that ability. Walk in, request new game, receive new game..go home and shaddup. They are marketing at the casual browsers who don't care on the level that we do. People who in most cases will appreciate saving a few $ and don't really care if it is new or used.

Now if they were trying to sell used as new, then that would be a problem. This is just simple marketing. If you honestly think you aren't being marketed too in Every single store you walk into, you are already sold and didn't even know it. Heck a simple trip to the grocery store is a hugely marketed deal.

Some of you...I swear. :rolleyes:

To be fair even buying "new" at these places might be used what with the whole "remove the DVD and store it in a CD case behind the counter, oh and employees might 'rent' it a few days before you buy it" thing.

Yeah, hatin' on that back-handed, low down, dirty selling used stuff as new thing. How dare we :)

The problem lies with how GS resells used games, not the reselling itself.

No one minds GS selling a used game and making profit. What's wrong is selling the game for $5 less than new. That's not even a 10% discount. Used games -- to be fair and competitive at least -- should be at 30-40% off, always. The only way I could justify selling a used game that expensive would be if Konami, Capcom, etc got a cut from the revenue -- not like 50% or anything -- 20-30% would suffice.

Also, this is old news. In the US, GameStop did this years ago -- I'm honestly surprised that EB Games did the sticker changeup this late in the game. (Pun intended)

I swear, some of you just want a reason to hate on gamestop, sony, or whatever the flavor of the month is to hate on.

This is marketing..pure and simple.
Complaining gets things done. Meekly accepting whatever gets thrown your way when you're spending hard-earned money on it gets you screwed.

And if you think complaining is bad, shouldn't you also think that complaining about complaining brings asinine to a whole new level?

I hate when game shops open all of the copies and empty the contents into a draw and then sell you an opened copy. It pretty much feels second hand already. Buy online and it has nice shrink wrap! :D

I hate when game shops open all of the copies and empty the contents into a draw and then sell you an opened copy. It pretty much feels second hand already. Buy online and it has nice shrink wrap! :D

Exactly! It's like they're to point out "Hey, might as well buy used because we already opened the new ones and took them home to try them out!"

Their new copies are basically used anyways because of their employees' ability to test them.

This is irrelevant though - who actually buys games from Gamestop?

Nope, books get damaged, pages torn, crease lines, yellowing of age or dampness... a used book is never in 100% condition of new.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against used game sales, I have bought used, and I have sold used. I just dislike when people try and justify the used game market without comparing it apples to apples with something else. There is nothing else out there where you buy a product brand new, then someone else buys it from you at 12% of what you paid ($8 when you paid $60, if you manage to trade it in fast enough) then resells it for $55, and the person saving the $5, gets the exact same experience as the original purchaser because there is no degradation from time or use.

It is called capitalism. Your example about how a used book can be apples to a video game. Generally people care more about the condition of video games and things like shelf ware and scratches to the disc can impact the value.

Here is your car example.

I have a 2009 Ford Fusion with a private party value of 15,000 and a trade in value of 11,500.

Obviously if game stop wants to give you 20 dollars trade in for a 50 dollar game I should harbor the same hatred for used car salesmen.

Do you hate real estate agents too? Any time you add a middle man to the equation it is to fuck the source of the sale for the benefit of the next sale.

Exactly! It's like they're to point out "Hey, might as well buy used because we already opened the new ones and took them home to try them out!"

Their new copies are basically used anyways because of their employees' ability to test them.

This is irrelevant though - who actually buys games from Gamestop?

You see while I hear this it isn't common practice. We were only allowed to take home used games per our manager and when our dipshit coworker lost a game that perk was removed for the store.

I worked there like 7 years ago though when it was still called EBgames.

Your rebuttal just further proves him right.

They make nothing off of used game sales the same way Ford makes nothing off of a used car sale.

Ford continues to make money on that car through thing like licensed mechanic and replacement parts manufacturing due to wear and tear. There is no wear and tear on a video game, DLC goes some way to fixing this problem but probably not far enough.

In a number of ways used games are in some respect worse than piracy from the developers point of view, because in the case of used games someone else is making money off their work. At least when someone pirates something nobody else is making money (doesn't really redeem piracy though).

It's a complex issue that can't really be summed up, especially with the old 'used car' analogy.

Stop pumping out 2 day crap then?

Complaining gets things done. Meekly accepting whatever gets thrown your way when you're spending hard-earned money on it gets you screwed.

And if you think complaining is bad, shouldn't you also think that complaining about complaining brings asinine to a whole new level?

There is a difference between complaining about something valid and complaining about retarded shit. This is complaining about retarded shit.

As I said and note that some of you completely ignored. If gamestop is attempting to sell used titles as NEW, that is worth complaining about as that is fraud. However they are Not attempting to sell used titles as new and thus this is just a marketing move. Get over yourselves.

I purchase new unopened titles from GS all the time without issue. Mostly because the staff at mine are actually pretty decent people and actually interact with their customers. I don't care about GS one way or the other, price of the game outside sales is exactly the same. I go where the customer service is the best and in my area that is where it is.

I am trying to get a law passed that makes it a misdemeanor to resell hammers, screwdrivers, & wrenches. I wanted to go with felony but my lawyers said it might be viewed as too harsh....whatever. People just take it for granted that they can sell "their" hammer to someone down the line when they decide they they want another. What they don't realize is that the buyer will get a product that still does its job 100% yet the original manufacturer gets no compensation. You see a wrench or hammer can be used over and over again for years and years and still deliver the same function as when it was bought brand new.

We have tried several times over the years to implement patches, updates & upgrades to hammers, wrenches & screwdrivers. But we have found that generally the people who are buying these products second hand are just to selfish to think about the developers. We have even heard that some people, and I don't want to accuse anyone here, but some people use things like stones or other hard objects they find in place of hammers because they can't be bothered to support the developers who build real purpose built products. These people say the free version is "good enough". I have even heard some reports of people using anything from keys to fingernails as screw drivers and it just really makes me loose all faith in the world.

I am trying to get a law passed that makes it a misdemeanor to resell hammers, screwdrivers, & wrenches. I wanted to go with felony but my lawyers said it might be viewed as too harsh....whatever. People just take it for granted that they can sell "their" hammer to someone down the line when they decide they they want another. What they don't realize is that the buyer will get a product that still does its job 100% yet the original manufacturer gets no compensation. You see a wrench or hammer can be used over and over again for years and years and still deliver the same function as when it was bought brand new.

We have tried several times over the years to implement patches, updates & upgrades to hammers, wrenches & screwdrivers. But we have found that generally the people who are buying these products second hand are just to selfish to think about the developers. We have even heard that some people, and I don't want to accuse anyone here, but some people use things like stones or other hard objects they find in place of hammers because they can't be bothered to support the developers who build real purpose built products. These people say the free version is "good enough". I have even heard some reports of people using anything from keys to fingernails as screw drivers and it just really makes me loose all faith in the world.

you forget to add that most people would steal a hammer they seen laying around, but then would bitch when that person bought a second hand hammer to replace their stolen one.

I don't see the problem here... Big Deal if its new or used, Its all about what you are willing to pay for. If you buy the game used at whatever price, its your money. Also if the used game plays without problem. whats the difference?

Besides... who buys from EB?

I don't see the problem here... Big Deal if its new or used, Its all about what you are willing to pay for. If you buy the game used at whatever price, its your money. Also if the used game plays without problem. whats the difference?

Besides... who buys from EB?

The real problem isn't if somebody wants to buy used or not. it is them 'tricking' people into buying used making it seem as if they are new, in some cases for the same price or more than the new copy.

Problem with most used vs new analogies, is they get applied to real-life tools or items. Any RL tool/item will invariably gain wear and tear over time, it's quality and longevity is limited, and there's no telling what kind of impact it's previous use had on it's performance. For PC games, there's no wear and tear, the quality consistently stays 100%, and even if the game had 1000 previous users, the game itself would still be 100% the same.

However, it's all fairly moot. If you want to support a developer for a quality game they've made, send your money to them and buy the product. If you don't care about the developers, do whatever you want (just don't complain too loudly when they refuse to support you) ;)

Back