U2412M corner glow

with

n00b
Anyone else experience severe IPS glow with their U2412M?

It's a deal breaker for Skyrim, which has a lot of dark environments:

WP_001551.jpg

All black screen:

WP_001549.jpg

The location of the glow is relative to the center of your viewing angle. There's always severe glow in all 4 diagonal directions from wherever you position yourself in front of the monitor.

Deciding between playing the exchange game with Dell, or just refunding & moving on to a different display. Either way this glow is a deal breaker.

Last edited:
Looks like glow to me. I only notice it on mine if I look at it from various angles close up. Sitting back a few feet and looking at it straight on I never see it.

Oh ok I think I see what's going on then. My physical distance from the monitor is only like 16", I'm sitting pretty close to it. At this distance my view frustum has pretty steep angles, so toward the edges of my vision it's effectively like viewing those parts of the monitor from the side, which is how you get IPS glow. Crap.

Need to rearrange my desk & see if I can get the display pushed further back...

I guess this seems obvious in hindsight but view frustum isn't highly discussed so I guess I hadn't thought of it until now.

The distance you plan to sit from an IPS panel is a pretty relevant factor. This unscientific sequence of photos demonstrates view frustum effect on IPS glow.

At 1-2 inches the frustum angles are extreme and the optimal viewing area is tiny.

glow1.jpg

then backing up, frustum gets longer / more shallow and the optimal viewing area increases...

glow2.jpg

glow3.jpg

glow4.jpg

finally at around 3 feet away, the entire panel is mostly in the optimal area of the viewer's frustum:

glow5.jpg

Jury is still out now I guess... need to see if I can make this monitor work in my physical space. I'm not used to having the panel so far away.

I have the same problem unfortunately.. a shame because otherwise I love the monitor.

You both may want to stay away from IPS then, as this is pretty much an issue with all of them nowadays. Only IPS screens with the A-TW polarizer don't have this and they cost $2000.00+

You might want to try an MVA or PVA screen but they have bad response time with dark scenes especially, even the newer ones.

This was a surprise for me, I've had a FlexView 15" Thinkpad laptop (IPS panel, loved it for years), and briefly owned that glossy NEC 20WMGX2 which I really liked a lot, gorgeous panel.

I considered myself a die-hard IPS fan until I sat this close to a 24". Too big, too close is a whole nother ball game. Lesson learned I guess.

This was a surprise for me, I've had a FlexView 15" Thinkpad laptop (IPS panel, loved it for years), and briefly owned that glossy NEC 20WMGX2 which I really liked a lot, gorgeous panel.

I considered myself a die-hard IPS fan until I sat this close to a 24". Too big, too close is a whole nother ball game. Lesson learned I guess.

If it's an older S-IPS panel, like that of the NEC, it will have purple/violet or possibly orange glow in the corners instead. My older Dell 2005FPW is S-IPS not H-IPS/eIPS and it has purple glow to blacks.

It's more prevalent than the silver glow on eIPS/H-IPS, but not as bright and obvious.

What you may want to try is lowering the brightness when playing in the dark. It will diminish the white glow to some extent, and since you are playing in the dark anyways you don't need it too bright. It shouldn't remove dark details either like some older screens.

You might want to play with tilting and height of the screen to see if there is an optimal viewing angle too.

It also might be possible that the corner glow at the bottom right is actually back-light bleed. Check with a black screen from www.doihaveadeadpixel.com

Last edited:
I'm going to try that as well. It occurs to me that I did have brightness set to 0 on the 2209WA previously and was thus quite a bit darker than the U2412M - perhaps that coupled with it being 2" smaller made the glow far less noticeable.

I'm going to try that as well. It occurs to me that I did have brightness set to 0 on the 2209WA previously and was thus quite a bit darker than the U2412M - perhaps that coupled with it being 2" smaller made the glow far less noticeable.

The lowest the blacks went on the 2209WA I used to have was 0.10 cdm/2 at zero brightness. The lowest the blacks go on my U2412M is 0.4 cdm/2 which is less than half, so it should be pretty good in comparison.

Sorry, 0.04 cdm/2

Good luck.

Last edited:
Jury is still out now I guess... need to see if I can make this monitor work in my physical space. I'm not used to having the panel so far away.
I sit roughly 3-4 feet from the screen, depending on whether I'm leaning back or slouched in my desk chair. Sometimes I see just a wee bit of glow coming in from the corners, depending on where my head is, but it's never enough to distract me while gaming or watching movies. It's so faint to barely detect it.

You might want to try an MVA or PVA screen but they have bad response time with dark scenes especially, even the newer ones.

I've noticed no response issues at all (dark screen or otherwise) with my Soyo Topaz, which is a P-MVA I believe.

WP_001551.jpg

All black screen:

WP_001549.jpg

The location of the glow is relative to the center of your viewing angle. There's always severe glow in all 4 diagonal directions from wherever you position yourself in front of the monitor.

Deciding between playing the exchange game with Dell, or just refunding & moving on to a different display. Either way this glow is a deal breaker.

This is a very well known issue with the U2412M. The blacks are incredible uneven and I am sad to hear that you found out about this after your purchase.

You should get yourself another model. The U2412M problems will not be less with another one of them. Actually someone bought three of them and all was horrible. Ridicolous amount of back light bleed and white glow.

Last edited:
I find that with three screens it became much easier to relax and sit farther back than I was used to... :p I still lean in like a retard when I'm programming or concentrating on something, I'm sure the myopia doesn't help.

Sitting further back helped a bit, also positioning myself right of center to counteract the stronger glow in the lower-right while playing Skyrim. Probably what helped the most though was increasing the in-game brightness within Skyrim. It's not quite as moody now, but at least I can see.

Still undecided on the U2412M - it's an otherwise ok monitor. It seems to me that compromise is a standard feature at this price range, so don't really know what I'd swap it with anyway.

I've noticed no response issues at all (dark screen or otherwise) with my Soyo Topaz, which is a P-MVA I believe.

These were unique panels. They were A-MVA from AUO, 6-bit + FRC and 99% of buyers never noticed that they weren't true 8-bit. This is why they were actually decently responsive. The newer panels are slower for some reason. I wish they weren't because visually they are a little better.

pva/mva can be very slow (~50ms) or very fast (<8ms)

More PVA than MVA.

This is a very well known issue with the U2412M. The blacks are incredible uneven and I am sad to hear that you found out about this after your purchase.

You should get yourself another model. The U2412M problems will not be less with another one of them. Actually someone bought three of them and all was horrible. Ridicolous amount of back light bleed and white glow.

No, this is a well-known issue with all IPS screens and just as bad on the HP ZR24W, Asus PA246Q, NEC PA241W, U2311H, U2312HM, etc..... ad nauseum. Anything without the A-TW polarizer that is H-IPS or later. You know that.

I don't see why you have such biased hatred against the U2412M both here, and on Overclock.net, LOLed/Hydros.

Yes I remember, it was FunkDancer, who removed his photos of the U2412Ms because you lied and passed them off as yours. He returned two, but said that they were improving over time. Funny that. You should probably just stay out of threads involving the U2412M and any other 16:10 monitor, and not act like a shill.

Welcome back from your ban, LOLED.

Yes, just as IPS. It depends on monitor.

PVA overly strong and heavily buffered overdrive algorithms traditionally caused it to be at the highest of the input lag numbers for a number of years.

Samsung 245T, 275T, Dell 2408WFP, 2709W, all with 40ms or more input lag. All S-PVA panels.

The highest input lag monitors with IPS panels are the NEC PA and WUXI series that are all lower than these and still had superior electronics.

Last edited:

WP_001551.jpg

All black screen:

WP_001549.jpg

I understand you.

Which monitor did you choose instead?

Totally agreed that IPS glow is a deal breaker for me.

Luckily I got a couple of these NEC 24" with the A-TW:

From about 3 inches away:
IMG_4722.JPG

From about 1 foot away:
IMG_4719.JPG

From 2 feet away:
IMG_4720.JPG

The lowest the blacks went on the 2209WA I used to have was 0.10 cdm/2 at zero brightness. The lowest the blacks go on my U2412M is 0.4 cdm/2 which is less than half, so it should be pretty good in comparison.

Sorry, 0.04 cdm/2

Good luck.

0.04 cd/m2 - damn...that's really dark. Is that achieved with dynamic contrast on or something?

edit: Oh I see...reading TFTcentral's review I see the U2412 has a brightness setting that scales very well while maintaining contrast.

Last edited:
0.04 cd/m2 - damn...that's really dark. Is that achieved with dynamic contrast on or something?

edit: Oh I see...reading TFTcentral's review I see the U2412 has a brightness setting that scales very well while maintaining contrast.

My only issue with the WUXi original models was their limited back-light regulation. The Wuxi and PA/P241 series have other gaming advantages though. You can hardware calibrate to different gamma tones to help dark games "lighten up". Alternatively hard core gamers would dislike their input lag.

Right now the only IPS display without white IPS glow is the ST2220T, because it's S-IPS and has a slight blue/violet tint to blacks at extreme angles that is less intrusive than white IPS glow.

It is glossy though.

Last edited:
My only issue with the WUXi original models was their limited back-light regulation. The Wuxi and PA/P241 series have other gaming advantages though. You can hardware calibrate to different gamma tones to help dark games "lighten up". Alternatively hard core gamers would dislike their input lag.

Right now the only IPS display without white IPS glow is the ST2220T, because it's S-IPS and has a slight blue/violet tint to blacks at extreme angles that is less intrusive than white IPS glow.

It is glossy though.

Agreed that I think the purple glow is less intrusive but it kinda gets orangey too? At least my old Dell 2007WFP (S-IPS version) did. See comparison below between my Dell and my 1st 2490WUXI (black level was pretty high on this one; about 0.21 cd/m2).

IMG_2043x.jpg

Back