Need help choosing an

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finny76

[H]ard|Gawd
Looking to buy a new 27" monitor with a native resolution of 2560x1140

Can anyone help me decide between these?

• DoubleSight DS-277W Black 27" 6ms HDMI Widescreen Wide Screeen LCD Monitor with IPS Panel Techology
  • Dell UltraSharp U2711 Black 27" HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor with PremierColor
  • SAMSUNG S27A850D Matt Black 27" 5ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor
  • DoubleSight DS-275W Black 27" 6ms (GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what i was able to dig up:

The DoubleSight DS-277W has only 1 year Manufactures warranty on Neweggs website BUT 3 years warranty listed on the manufactures website? :confused::confused:

The SAMSUNG S27A850D has a PLS (Plane Line Switching) panel technology. How does that compare to IPS?

The Dell UltraSharp U2711 is an IPS monitor but uses older CCFL technology as compared to LED back lighting.

The HP ZR2740w lacks a OSD menu limiting setup.

Can anyone chime in and share their experiences.?

go for Samsung and maybe you get lucky and find one without excessive bleeding.

PLS is the same as IPS performance and feature wise but made by Samsung. There are only 2 good 1440p displays: The Samsung S27A850D and Apple Cinema Display, the rest use very grainy anti-glare coating and the double sights have poor build quality.

I had to return my U2711 due to the hideous AG, and no, I didn't know anything about AG at the time. I was simply comparing to my old monitor (ironically also a Dell Ultrasharp, a TN from 2005, but with a much cleaner picture by comparison). It was only after getting on here and reading about others' experiences that I even understood what the problem was.

So yeah, I had no formed prejudice, but I couldn't stand it. It was like trying to see the screen through a coating of oil dusted with rainbow sand. Graphics editing is one of my pastimes, and it was so bad I couldn't tell the difference between the coating and actual image artifacts, nor could I be sure of color accuracy. It also gave me headaches looking at it too long.

Dell gave me a hell of a runaround about returning it too. Took months for them to give me my money back. Never again. My plan now is to buy a Samsung SA850. Backlight issues notwithstanding, at least I know it'll have a clear picture.

My Dell U2711 (which I sold) and Dell 3011 at work had a very similar AG coating. It was barely tolerable on the 30" because of the bigger dot pitch, but I just couldn't deal on the 27" with its smaller text. I use the monitors for coding, so I'm staring at text all the time... it was really unacceptable. Sparkles everywhere. I had a Dell 2407WFP, which I think is a PVA panel, and it was not nearly as bad... not bad at all actually. I'm not sure why companies "need" to put such aggressive coatings on these monitors.

I've switched to Apple Cinema Displays because they have extremely good color quality and response time and no horrendous coating. You just need to be a little careful how you position them because of the glare...

I refuse to buy any monitor that uses LG's aggressive AG coating, and I RMAed my POS U3011 for that exact reason. The entire screen looked like it was caked in crystals. Granted, this may not bother some people which is fine, but for me personally a display panel that looks like a mineral farm is absolutely not acceptable. Unfortunately, that disqualifies almost every LG IPS monitor on the market.

All IPS panels are made by LG, the Apple Cinema Display is the only grain free 1440p IPS.

go for Samsung and maybe you get lucky and find one without excessive bleeding.

The odds are not in favor of that though. If you go the Samsung route make sure you can return the monitor for free, Amazon has it for 844.

What are you mainly using this for? Gaming, graphic arts?

My main requirement is that i need a 27" monitor that has a native resolution of 2560x1140 or higher. I currently have a HANNSpree HF-289HJB that is 1920x1080.

I will be doing the following:

1) Graphics
2) Proof reading documents (so i have to stare at the screen for long times which causes headaches due of eyestrain, so i need something that's soft on the eyes)
3) Occasionally watching DVDS (Blu Rays)

Its a BIG investment, so i want to make sure i get the right 27" for my needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would recommend the Samsung, it has a very mind AG coating, text is much easier to read on it versus the DELL and DoubleSight displays.

What about the NEC PA271W. More expensive, but is it more capable than the others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back