Skyrim Patches Coming Soon

HardOCP News

[H] News
Those of you experiencing issues with Skyrim should know that help is on the way. According to Bethesda's VP of marketing, patches should be out the week after Thanksgiving. With any luck, there will be fixes for some of the performance issues we saw here.

PS3 & 360 updates have been submitted for certification. PC coming too. Current estimate is they will be live the week after T’giving.

Aww, but I liked those teleporting deer/people/blood/etc. :(

Hopefully it isn't just bug fixes. There are some design issues that I'd like to see updated.

I shouldn't have to use a 360 controller to move around and get things done easier, that's just a damned shame. Just another pc-after thought I guess.

I hope so because suddenly I'm having CTDs from hell out of nowhere today.

I'm waiting on a couple of patches/mods before playing thru Skyrim, it would feel a bit incomplete to play it as it is now. It needs a UI overhaul mod, a better world map, and severe deconsolization.

i was this close [--] and me mean damn close to purchasing this game... untill i thought... HEY! lets read reviews, and found out that it was another damn Console port... i swear, i got EA, Bethesda and any Carmack game off my games list until they go back to basics and develop a proper PC game...

i was this close [--] and me mean damn close to purchasing this game... untill i thought... HEY! lets read reviews, and found out that it was another damn Console port... i swear, i got EA, Bethesda and any Carmack game off my games list until they go back to basics and develop a proper PC game...

Aside from a few wonky control choices it's one of the best console ports you'll ever play. The game is solid.

Aside from a few wonky control choices it's one of the best console ports you'll ever play. The game is solid.

Its one of the best Bethesda games you have ever played, and it may be the absolute best rpg of 2011 except for the Witcher 2.

Not sure what tweaks you may have already tried, but these are a few that I've implemented and my crashing seems nearly gone.

1) Make sure your sound is set to 44.1khz (this is done via Windows control panel)
2) Start game by bypassing Steam. Create a shortcut to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\TESV.exe
3)Use this tool to set Skyrim to be Large Address Aware and use more than 2Gig of memory.
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=202

Hopefully it isn't just bug fixes. There are some design issues that I'd like to see updated.
I don't recall the last time in the history of the video game business where a developer actually fixed major game design flaws and design mistakes (as opposed to "bugs" and "glitches") in a patch. Basically, as much as we PC gamers would like to see Bethsoft themselves revamp the UI to one that isn't an atrocity committed against every principle of UI design, instead of leaving it to modders, I don't think it's gonna happen. The most I would hope for is to make them aware of it enough not to make the same mistake in TESVI.

They sort of spruced up the atrociously disorganized journal in Morrowind with the Bloodmoon expansion, but it was still less than ideal.

Let's hope it includes audio fixes...Either having crappy sound or CTD's on startup or hissing/crackling in the place of some dialog is not what I want to choose from. Yes, I know the "lower your quality" fix, but dammit, I want to leave my sound card settings alone!

(Still an awesome game)

The Large Address Aware mod that lets the game address more then 2 gb ram fixed this for me.

I heard that there was a hotfix to the TESV.exe though and so that mod isn't working at the moment. Not at home to test it right now though.

an EXE patch was released today, to make it so you can't launch Skyrim outside of Steam, if you have any third party things going, like the 4GB memory patch, or any other third party thing that modifies the EXE, it will crash, it breaks those tweaks

Not sure what tweaks you may have already tried, but these are a few that I've implemented and my crashing seems nearly gone.

1) Make sure your sound is set to 44.1khz (this is done via Windows control panel)
2) Start game by bypassing Steam. Create a shortcut to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\TESV.exe
3)Use this tool to set Skyrim to be Large Address Aware and use more than 2Gig of memory.

Pretty sure #2 is not an option anymore, as I'm hearing Steam released a patch today that re-directs the TESV to open Steam and start the game launcher, instead of launching straight to the game itself.

I'll be able to confirm this when I get home though :/

I don't recall the last time in the history of the video game business where a developer actually fixed major game design flaws and design mistakes (as opposed to "bugs" and "glitches") in a patch. Basically, as much as we PC gamers would like to see Bethsoft themselves revamp the UI to one that isn't an atrocity committed against every principle of UI design, instead of leaving it to modders, I don't think it's gonna happen. The most I would hope for is to make them aware of it enough not to make the same mistake in TESVI.

They sort of spruced up the atrociously disorganized journal in Morrowind with the Bloodmoon expansion, but it was still less than ideal.

My Argonian has a human voice. I got to level 7 in the first 2 hours of playing, (no smithing, just combat).

that is the patch that breaks with the new EXE patch that came down today, it was small, but it will make the game crash if you try to use that

an EXE patch was released today, to make it so you can't launch Skyrim outside of Steam, if you have any third party things going, like the 4GB memory patch, or any other third party thing that modifies the EXE, it will crash, it breaks those tweaks

I can confirm this. I'm playing vanilla with just ini tweaks now. Pretty dissapointing.

Steam pushed a patch that supposedly "corrected" the fact that you could run the game without Steam running. That would require them to change or replace the TESV.exe. If you applied the large address patch you will have to do so again. That may solve your CTD's.

Only issue I have is it randomly kicks me back out to the desktop. Otherwise it plays fine.
I hope they fix this.

I hope they fix the CTD issues. Seems every other time I try to fast-travel I get a CTD, lame!

I'm waiting on a couple of patches/mods before playing thru Skyrim, it would feel a bit incomplete to play it as it is now. It needs a UI overhaul mod, a better world map, and severe deconsolization.

Complaining about consolization while simultaneously cheesing the system and using console cheats for free gold? Irony, thy name is... :eek:

4.) Don't use the new .exe that Steam forces on you as of today because it makes the game an unstable mess regardless of all of the above.

LAA no longer works on the new .exe, either, so I'm back to the old one and Steam is shut down when I play this game.

4.) Don't use the new .exe that Steam forces on you as of today because it makes the game an unstable mess regardless of all of the above.

LAA no longer works on the new .exe, either, so I'm back to the old one and Steam is shut down when I play this game.

P.S. Game was awesome for me until that "patch" came through today. Just for the record.

thank god. Skyrims performance on the PS3 is atrocious after getting a few hours into it. Seriously, it's like slideshow at times (I'm not exaggerating). I'd rather have low quality visuals for a steady 60fps, if that's what it takes.

I'm about 52 hours in right now and have only had 3 or 4 crashes, all after 4 or 5 hours of game play. I'm not happy about the UI but the game is excellent. Better than Oblivion by far.

I've run into a few odd things, like one quest npc is stuck in the ground at whiterun while two of his clones stand next to him. A graphics glitch with some light beams that got fixed after restarting the game. Nothing game breaking tho.

Sure do wish they would get a decent UI designer. I'm sure it is fine for the console but it is stupid we have to wait for someone to fix it on the PC. Having said that this is my game of the year.

Id like a patch that made the NPC's smarter.

Being able to beat up on 2 mammoths and a giant at the same time because they wont cross a river is about a moronic as anything. Yet I see goats in the water all the time.

Same with the Frost Trolls. All I did was shoot flames at him from the otherside of a rock because he jump no top of the rock. He kept trying to circle it to get to me.

I prefer the Fallout series to this one hands down. The NPC's were tougher.

I'm about 52 hours in right now and have only had 3 or 4 crashes, all after 4 or 5 hours of game play. I'm not happy about the UI but the game is excellent. Better than Oblivion by far.

I've run into a few odd things, like one quest npc is stuck in the ground at whiterun while two of his clones stand next to him. A graphics glitch with some light beams that got fixed after restarting the game. Nothing game breaking tho.

Sure do wish they would get a decent UI designer. I'm sure it is fine for the console but it is stupid we have to wait for someone to fix it on the PC. Having said that this is my game of the year.

I like the UI on both the console and the PC, but it would of been nice to leave people the option of using either the WSAD keys OR the mouse to do selections with. It's a little clunky to try and get used to.

However, using a gamepad on the PC version is great. I find it a little easier for long sessions as well.

Pretty sure #2 is not an option anymore, as I'm hearing Steam released a patch today that re-directs the TESV to open Steam and start the game launcher, instead of launching straight to the game itself.

I'll be able to confirm this when I get home though :/

Yeah they did. The 4GB patch no longer works. The real question is, why would they do this?

I like the UI on both the console and the PC, but it would of been nice to leave people the option of using either the WSAD keys OR the mouse to do selections with. It's a little clunky to try and get used to.

However, using a gamepad on the PC version is great. I find it a little easier for long sessions as well.

Icons wouldn't hurt. Scrolling at all is pointless.

I had one crash to the desktop today for the first time. However it was also the first time I tried the game with my processor overclocked to 3.8GHz instead of 3.5 so I thought that might have been it. Who knows.

Haven't seen a single crash, though I have been noticing more and more bugs. Not game-breaking, but annoying.

Also, I have been using a shortcut to the skyrim.exe in order to play the game without launching steam. If I don't open up steam, will I still be able to use my shortcut?

Haven't seen a single crash, though I have been noticing more and more bugs. Not game-breaking, but annoying.

Also, I have been using a shortcut to the skyrim.exe in order to play the game without launching steam. If I don't open up steam, will I still be able to use my shortcut?

as some others on here said, you can continue using your shortcut, but it will launch your game through Steam instead of taking you directly to the game.

Don't take my word for it. Just repeating what I saw others say. I haven't bought Skyrim yet, just watching reviews and news on them for now.

The game only kicked me out to desktop once, then it's fine. If it's anything like Brink, the next few patches will gain a few more framerates. Hopefully they'd release a high-res texture fix. Stupid companion AI is stupid (Lydia). Why no hardcore mode offered? Hunger, realistic one-hit-kills (REMOVE THAT FUCKING KILL SCENE), when I play in first-person, keep everything in first-person. Add the ever-changing FOV. Then there's the appearing dragon bones. They should allow more crafting done in the game, add more mini-fun. Other than that, Bethesda, Skyrim rocks my socks off. Refine it, but don't break it.

It takes a bit getting used to, but the UI is worlds better than Oblivion's. Everything else about the game just feels epic. I'm enjoying this more than I've enjoyed a game in years.

There are a few bugs, but no show stoppers.

Why not release the mod tools and let community patches do this for them? ...it's whats going to happen anyway... :D

Back