Rumor: Galaxy Nexus U.S. Launch is December 8?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The rumor mill has gone into overdrive over the soon-to-be release of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Educated guesses on the release date have gone from the upcoming Black Friday to every day past that date, but a new bit of information has placed the date on Thursday December 8th. Droid Life is the latest to fuel the fires of rumor, but it has indisputable unconfirmed new information from an anonymous source to set the record straight. :D

The description goes on to discuss Galaxy Nexus accessories that "have begun to ship to stores this week," which matches some of the rumormongering from last week that Galaxy Nexus accessories were beginning to pop up in Verizon stores and on Samsung's site.

Something I don't quite understand about phones, and this one in particular, is why they're so damn expensive. How much is this going to cost unsubsidized? $750? That's as much as a full-blown desktop. I mean I understand a 720p screen that's that small is serious business, but I thought having an SoC had to count for something.

If the newest smartphones weren't "subsidized" by wireless carriers who didn't reap the entire subsidy over the life of the contract I can't imagine phones like this one being as popular as they are.

indisputable unconfirmed new information from an anonymous source

LOL. :D

Something I don't quite understand about phones, and this one in particular, is why they're so damn expensive. How much is this going to cost unsubsidized? $750? That's as much as a full-blown desktop. I mean I understand a 720p screen that's that small is serious business, but I thought having an SoC had to count for something.

If the newest smartphones weren't "subsidized" by wireless carriers who didn't reap the entire subsidy over the life of the contract I can't imagine phones like this one being as popular as they are.

They would release fewer uberphones and more mid-range phones (still $200-$300). There would be a stronger second hand market as well, since there would be no subsidized prices to compete with. I expect there would be much more demand for last season's top smart phone models.

I would probably upgrade my phone more often than I do currently since there wouldn't be a benefit to waiting until my 2yr contract expires.

Something I don't quite understand about phones, and this one in particular, is why they're so damn expensive.

You and me both brother....

Its possible to buy certain prepaid phones like the Moto Triumph (which isn't a low end phone *at all*), for $300 bucks unsubsidized....

Honestly, I think the uber phones get priced sky high people there are simply people that will pay for them...

Something I don't quite understand about phones, and this one in particular, is why they're so damn expensive. How much is this going to cost unsubsidized? $750? That's as much as a full-blown desktop.

You can also buy smart phones for 300 or even 150 like the samsung gio(seen it as low as 99 when its on sale). Every single bit of higher spec of cpu/gpu/memory/storage/screen size/resolution/modem speed/modem bands/thickness you're paying extra for, and it adds up rather quickly.

Im sure people say the same thing about alienwares ,ect. You want the best you pay.

Yeah, if phones weren't subsidized (and it isn't just US carriers, European carriers for example offer payment plans where the plan is cheaper than anything we have here with roaming for all of Europe but then they add another $10-20 on a month so you pay off your phone month by month) I don't think they'd cost as much as they do.

As you said, for as much as a phone has, a laptop has more at a cheaper price. More memory, bigger screen that uses more materials to make, a heck of a lot more die space for CPU/chipset (which is what translates into chip costs). Yet the laptop is cheaper.

Plus, look what happens when a carrier tries to subsidy a laptop or a tablet. Suddenly that netbook isn't $200-300 anymore, now it's $619.99 with a 2 year contract bringing it down to $449.99. Or tablets - Motorola Xoom got subsidized by Verizon, suddenly that $500 iPad competitor is $799 unsubsidized. Whenever somebody tries to subsidize something to hide the true cost the price of it just goes up, up, up.

Expensive or not this release has ended up being nightmare and a black eye for Google. A lot of customers have lost patience and ended up with different phones at this point

Expensive or not this release has ended up being nightmare and a black eye for Google. A lot of customers have lost patience and ended up with different phones at this point

They should have just opened it up for any and all carriers to sell. Some people would have switched carriers, if necessary.

Yeah, by this point I don't really care about the new nexus. I'm going to wait a few more months and see what come out first quarter of 2012. It looks like htc has a pretty sweet quad core phone coming out. And htc phone have excellent xda developer support.

That's what Verizon wanted. To sell a ton of Razr's to those who had been waiting for the Galaxy, and got pissed from the delays.

You and me both brother....

Its possible to buy certain prepaid phones like the Moto Triumph (which isn't a low end phone *at all*), for $300 bucks unsubsidized....

Honestly, I think the uber phones get priced sky high people there are simply people that will pay for them...

Or that the carriers want to punish (new and existing) post-paid customers for not signing a new contract.

Or that the carriers want to punish (new and existing) post-paid customers for not signing a new contract.

well, they could only do it with the help from the manufacturers, because, as perfectly pointed out so perfectly by Ualdayan above, it really is quite magical how expensive devices become once they are subsidized somewhere....

bleh, it doesnt matter anyway, cell phones are getting "fast enough", Core 2 Duo style, and pretty soon I really do think we'll be able to keep our phones for 2 years with no real problem with speed and such....

except that they are nearly desktop replacements. i use my phone for almost everything, with my laptop being used for any serious work with word or excel. i would much rather pick up my phone to surf a few pages than to fire up a laptop or desktop, so much so that i broke down and sold my desktop, have no use for it anymore, phone and laptop cover it all

That's a pretty bad analogy.. It's not like people have the option of building their own phone for 2/3 the price.

That would be ridiculous. If it was possible I would have done so a long time ago :D.

I'll be satisfied with my HTC Sensation long after the new nexus goes out of style. Support for ICS 4.0 in the future, excellent overclockability with a great dual core chip and a thriving developer community will allow me to save $750 ;).

I've waiting for this phone to find out if it's the one I want.

Most importantly, I'm going to want to know battery life and if it's easy to set up a widget to turn LTE on/off quickly so I can save battery (only a portion of my day is spent in a 4G coverage zone).

Back