League of Legends Surpasses 30 Million Registered Players

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The stats for Riot Game’s League of Legends are impressive to say the least. Not only does the online game list 30 million registered users, it also boasts 11.4 million active monthly users and more than 1.3 million players online at any given point. Take that World of Warcraft :D

My exchange student plays this 24/7 with his buddies. I've tried it out, but I am not so good :p

Played a bit when it first came out, wasn't too interested. Played again about 2 months ago and much more fun now, but takes a lot of practice. Worth a try for those who have not played it yet.

I don't think they should start bragging to WoW until they are charging $15/month to play it.

LoL is the only game I play anymore :\ it's a lot of fun if you a group of friends

in terms of making money, that nurse akali skin was a good example... a 6 day sale where proceeds go to helping japan, and the skin itself was half off... raised over $160,000.

Skins are a goldmine.

i cant stand the graphics in this game, it make me feel like I am playing a web browser flash game.

I play quite bit of the Dominion map these days I just don't have the time for full games like I used to. I mean 40 min to 1 hour is quite a chunk of time to devote. Since I got a DotA2 beta key my LOL time is limited.

I think one reason why LOL has done so well is that none of the cash items affect game play. The person with no money has just as much of a chance of playing the game practicing and getting good as the guy who feeds the game money. The only thing that you can get with cash only is the skins. I buy them. I figure if I'm going to play a game and put hours into it every month I should support the developers. But for the first 4 months or so I played I never put in a dime.

The game is popular because for the most part, the developers understand the game they are creating and the crowd they are catering to.

For the most part, balance issues get fixed within weeks (whereas in WoW it could take a whole f'king season),

#1 Isn't this a free game?
#2 Isn't this not on console? Take that console systems.
#3 Isn't the active members higher then WoW's? WoW is just a little over 10 million.
#5 Aren't the developers for LoL the people who made Diablo from Blizzard?

Does anyone see the irony in all this?

The big negative about LoL is the players' attitudes. Too many trolls, griefers, complainers, reporters, brats, newb-haters and perfectionists. Every game has at least one, and I eventually got so sick of the community that I had to stop playing.

Other than that, it can be a fun game.

The game is popular because for the most part, the developers understand the game they are creating and the crowd they are catering to.

For the most part, balance issues get fixed within weeks (whereas in WoW it could take a whole f'king season),

As it stands, this is how World of Warcraft is working right now.

Mages - extremely powerful in multiplayer, and raids.
Warlocks - meh
Hunters - more meh
Rogues - Powerful in multiplayer, but weak in raids.
Shaman - You play this if you're a sadist
Druids - Powerful in every spec.
DeathKnights - More meh
Warriors - also meh
Paladin - You'd also have to be a sadist, who likes to heal.
Priests - They're powerful as healers and raid dps.

As you can see it sucks to be a WoW player right now. Likely enough, you won't see any changes until 1 year from now, when Pandoria or whatever is about to be released.

The big negative about LoL is the players' attitudes. Too many trolls, griefers, complainers, reporters, brats, newb-haters and perfectionists. Every game has at least one, and I eventually got so sick of the community that I had to stop playing.

I partially agree with this, as soon as you got killed a few times, someone starts to troll

in addition, I think the problem is inevitable for games like this, therefore, the trouble resides in riot's report system, i've reported players who are disrespectful and sometimes stupid, but I never seen them banned or what ever....

Yeah that is a big downside at first.

Slowly I friended people who behaved well and now when I login, it's much more enjoyable to play, and I've only been playing again for a couples months.

Also 8x AA is your friend in this game.

Advice is a pro (meaning better than noob and actually thinking for a change) LoL player. It's also about psychology. You have to troll the other team. While they're busy trying to rebuttal your remarks, you take them out and watch them cry about how they were typing. Rinse and repeat,

Warlocks - meh
Hunters - more meh
DeathKnights - More meh
Warriors - also meh

As you can see it sucks to be a WoW player right now. Likely enough, you won't see any changes until 1 year from now, when Pandoria or whatever is about to be released.

I quit WoW because of the stupidly slow updates to class balances. They pull the same fk'ing line over and over: we need more data. Really? The fact the top raiding guilds stack certain classes or PvP cash tournaments are very heavily class imbalanced doesn't give you a clue? It just goes on to reinforce me belief that the decision makers in WoW have no fk'ing clue what is going on in their game.

At least in LoL if my favorite champ got nerfed, I just select another one.

At least in LoL if my favorite champ got nerfed, I just select another one.

The plethora of updates of LoL is what hooked me. It is made by developers who care and play the game they are working on. Pretty much weekly class balance, bug fixes, and tweaks.

The only downside to LoL is the lack of new content and no updates on the graphical overhaul (last tease was a long time ago).

I'm in the Dota 2 beta and I've played over 1,500 games of LoL, and I can tell you that Dota 2 is far better than LoL.

I'm probably not gonna play LoL even a fraction as much anymore thanks to Dota 2, if at all.

This is one of those games I'd like to get into, but I have heard the community despises newbies. I don't care to be insulted my entire way through the learning curve.

This is one of those games I'd like to get into, but I have heard the community despises newbies. I don't care to be insulted my entire way through the learning curve.

You can play games against bots for practice & fine tuning a champion, people seem generally easier going there. I'll say it's my first time on this champ and it usually goes well.

That seems like a ton of people playing a game I have never even heard of.... Steam rolls through and only has a couple million logged in during the day.

I'm in the Dota 2 beta and I've played over 1,500 games of LoL, and I can tell you that Dota 2 is far better than LoL.

I'm probably not gonna play LoL even a fraction as much anymore thanks to Dota 2, if at all.

Then play hon same game .

My biggest problem with LoL is how low the skill cap is. The game lacks depth imo.

I am in it as well but I don't think ill stop playing LoL for Dota 2.

Dota 2 seems great and I will probably get it but I love leagues.

I can't get into LoL after playing several matches with friends (and random pubbers). Never really been into RTS/tower defense games. Eh.

I have roughly 11 games played and do not see the appeal at all. My gaming friends are addicted but I can't stand it. It's 3 WarCraft III custom maps. That's it. How does it not get old? Learning new heros? Some are just more powerful than others, so people don't use the crappy ones. It's a joke.

40 mins for a losing game where you're insulted the entire time? Doesn't matter that it's free, my spare time is too rare and precious to put up with that.

WOW took PC gaming to its knees and LoL delivered the coupe-de-grace.

Fucking DOTA scrubs. If you want to play a RTS man up and play a real one AKA SC2.

After playing DotA2 for a few days now, LoL and HoN really need to up their game to come close to competing.

Its weird there are so many players yet end up playing many of the same players (atleast 1600+). I wonder how many of those 30 million are ranked below 1500.

Its weird there are so many players yet end up playing many of the same players (atleast 1600+). I wonder how many of those 30 million are ranked below 1500.

Probably about 70 to 80% since that is probably the average player.

Probably about 70 to 80% since that is probably the average player.

I don't think 1500 is the average for solo queue, I would guess more like 1200. I can't get out of elo hell in solo queue because the people I wind up playing with are so bad.

I have really been enjoying arranged 5's and 3's though.

Warlocks - meh
Hunters - more meh
DeathKnights - More meh
Warriors - also meh

Or you could actually use actual empirical data instead of just your view on the subject.

LoL is fun when you are playing it with other people who are excited to be playing it too. Lots of jargon to understand as any multiplayer game is. It can be fun if you have the time and the friends to help motivate you. It's not an instant OMG THIS GAME RAWKS type of game like you'll find in some console action-RPG type games but it certainly is good at what it is trying to be good at.

I am in it as well but I don't think ill stop playing LoL for Dota 2.

Dota 2 seems great and I will probably get it but I love leagues.

LoL is based off of Dota. HoN and LoL are just poor imitations, and I played the original Dota for years before WoW came out, I quit around then.

Dota 2 is made by IceFrog who did a great job of balancing heroes.

LoL just seems to be pumping out heroes and skins lately, and the heros they have been putting out are all similiar, just with variations of the same skill and move set.

All Dota 2 heroes are truly unique, all you have to do is go down the list and look at them for yourself.

If you've never played Dota or HoN, then Dota 2 will take some getting used to, LoL has a learning curve, Dota 2 has a learning cliff, lol.

LoL is just way more casual friendly than HoN or Dota 2.

Anyway, I'm loving Dota 2, 36 hours into it since last Wednesday.

D'oh, forgot to post image

dota2fb.jpg

Back