Interlagos has landed

Last edited:
No doubt there are many of us subscribing now to your new thread. :)

Very much so Linden, this will be interesting to find out how these fold!

System in question is currently running about 45 min/frame on a 6903 (84000 ppd), so hopefully sometime early next week these will be installed and I'll have some numbers.

Last edited:
Looking forward to some numbers.
2012 might be the year of the G34 as 2011 was for 2600k

I am not optimistic about the results.

The SPEC benches show that the a 2.2ghz 48 core 6174 system is only 25% slower than a top of the line 64 core 6282 SE rig. This is despite the 6282 having a 36% clockspeed advantage (after all core turbo) AND a 33% core count increase.
http://www.spec.org/cpu2006/results/res2011q4/

About the only thing that has increased clock for clock with IL is power draw. :(

I am not optimistic about the results.

The SPEC benches show that the a 2.2ghz 48 core 6174 system is only 25% slower than a top of the line 64 core 6282 SE rig. This is despite the 6282 having a 36% clockspeed advantage (after all core turbo) AND a 33% core count increase.
http://www.spec.org/cpu2006/results/res2011q4/

About the only thing that has increased clock for clock with IL is power draw. :(

true but 25% in F@H is HUGE. but at the same time F@H is its own beast and outside of running it theres no other applications that are all that similar to it since its cpu and memory bandwidth heavy where as most test programs are one or the other but not both.

props to you SatTech for being the guinea pig.

and not to mention the die shrink! There is something very wrong with these, I do hope they can fix it [fast!].

The only thing they have going for them is the relativity cheap cost of 4 socket servers (if per socket software licensing isn't a factor) Otherwise I don't see what they offer.

Anandtech did a review on these chips. Not looking to good at all.

CPU-Z shows these chips as 8 core, 16 thread which I am thrilled for. If F@H is FP intensive (I believe it is) I don't see these chips being better than the 6100 series at all for F@H or any other DC project.

will the 2p or 4p boards work right out of the box or will have to get a different chip to do a bios up date first?

will the 2p or 4p boards work right out of the box or will have to get a different chip to do a bios up date first?

Probably depends on how new the board/bios is. I'm pretty sure most will require a bios flash.

I had high hopes for the 32W 2.5 GHz 8-core C32 Valencia chips to be used as a decent low-wattage SMP cruncher in a 2P config. However, as I have been playing with a desktop Bulldozer for the past 24 hours, I shudder to think what the F@H performance of Interlagos/Valencia will be. For F@H, I am extremely unimpressed with Bulldozer.

It seems like we F@H people didn't really get anything out of this round. Bulldozer and SB-E both have ridiculous power consumption (and bulldozer doesn't have performance to back it up), and you could probably get equivalent or better performance to a 2p SB-E (when those become available) with a good 2p or 4p Magny dodeca setup.

true but 25% in F@H is HUGE
When the performance increase should be north of 60% given the increase in clock and cores, 25% is HUGEly embarassing...

Moot point, buying used magny cour dodeca's from Ebay will be cheaper and give you better performance per watt. Sattech will be able to say for sure soon but if I were building a new G34 system, it certainly wouldn't be with Interlagos.

When the performance increase should be north of 60% given the increase in clock and cores, 25% is HUGEly embarassing...

Moot point, buying used magny cour dodeca's from Ebay will be cheaper and give you better performance per watt. Sattech will be able to say for sure soon but if I were building a new G34 system, it certainly wouldn't be with Interlagos.

if i get a 4p board. can i run 1 cpu then upgrade to 2 and so on? ( granted ill have to reload) but the board will run 1 cpu? and i really want to go with 16 core chips

if i get a 4p board. can i run 1 cpu then upgrade to 2 and so on? ( granted ill have to reload) but the board will run 1 cpu? and i really want to go with 16 core chips

yes.

doesn't matter if its embarrassing or not the 25% is still a huge point gain in F@H. something you damn well won't get out of anything using an intel processor unless you plan on dropping 8+ grand on a 2p lga-2011 xeon system. interlagos is priced exactly where it should be for the performance.

Last edited:

The 16 core chips are barely equivalent to the 12 core magny cours at the same speed, plus they make more heat and use more power. Again SatTech will be able to confirm shortly, but there is no reason to want those 16 core chips aside from e-peen. Even then, the bragging rights are worthless when the whole world knows they underperform.

The 16 core chips are barely equivalent to the 12 core magny cours at the same speed, plus they make more heat and use more power. Again SatTech will be able to confirm shortly, but there is no reason to want those 16 core chips aside from e-peen. Even then, the bragging rights are worthless when the whole world knows they underperform.

16 core is cheaper new then the 12 core.

16 core is cheaper new then the 12 core.

It is cheaper for a reason, and it's not because AMD was feeling generous...

Inferior products have to be sold at a lower price.

It is cheaper for a reason, and it's not because AMD was feeling generous...

Inferior products have to be sold at a lower price.
+ :(

the truth hurts. such high hopes from SB-E and Interlagos and all we get is heat, noise and high power bills! Oh well, at least the SB-E architecture should be a respectable alternative to SR-2's with X56xx chips, whereas interlagos makes a piss-poor case for itself vs Magny-Cours

This thread is breaking my heart. One of the reasons I went to G34 exclusively was an upgrade path. Now it is looking like that won't happen. It is really disappointing...

This thread is breaking my heart. One of the reasons I went to G34 exclusively was an upgrade path. Now it is looking like that won't happen. It is really disappointing...

I'm thinking that a a REV II of the chips comes out, just like with Phenom.

I'm thinking that a a REV II of the chips comes out, just like with Phenom.

That ship has already sailed and is at the point of no return. Expect modest clock increases and support a few new instruction sets. The biggest changes in Piledriver and trinity cores will be improved turbo and power management. I hope I am wrong though.

That ship has already sailed and is at the point of no return. Expect modest clock increases and support a few new instruction sets. The biggest changes in Piledriver and trinity cores will be improved turbo and power management. I hope I am wrong though.

I fully expect piledriver to fix the scheduler issue, AMD knew BD had issues at least 2 years before launch and would have rolled fixes too large for late point design on BD into piledriver. If this happens like Phenom II did for Phenom I, then combined with a mature 32nm process it may be a very viable product.

Shipping notice from NewEgg has these delivered monday night. I'll have some numbers tuesday as long as everything goes fine.

Shipping notice from NewEgg has these delivered monday night. I'll have some numbers tuesday as long as everything goes fine.
have you checked for new BIOS for your board? Which board are you using?

have you checked for new BIOS for your board? Which board are you using?

ASUS KGPE-D16. I actually just flashed the BIOS about an hour ago in preparation. Newest BIOS adds support for 62xx series chips, so I should be good to go.

You arn't the only one as I still lurk around hoping for someone to finally upgrade to the new 16 core chips. I am just curious, but at least AMD has literally bargain basement priced the Interlagos chips. I suppose AMD fans have no choice but to wait around for Piledriver sometime next year which AMD "predicts" will yield 10-15% greater performance.

I think this is the first time i've seen where a new architecture comes out and the previous generation is selling for higher prices than the new architecture. Magny 12 cores are still over $1000 each.

I have 4 6274 scheduled for delivery sometime next week.
I just need to find the right bios for the Supermicro board.

ASUS KGPE-D16. I actually just flashed the BIOS about an hour ago in preparation. Newest BIOS adds support for 62xx series chips, so I should be good to go.

oh....I hope that works for you...
I am going to send tj my es IL chips and see if its just my board... looks like all three of us have the kgpe-d16...
IL on my board isn't the least bit stable...
MC on my board with the 2005 bios is...mostly stable...

What board were they able to get a slight OC out of on the optys? (how much?)

What factor is that board? Can you run it with just 2 (of 4) chips in place?

I'm thinking this may make a good low power replacement to my 2 SR2s and an i7 once I get home, I can't afford that much power now a days

I'm another Asus KGPE-D16 Folder running BIOS 2005. I just put this system together a week ago, so I'm not in a position to even think about upgrading(?) the CPUs to Interlagos. In Windows 7 Pro with 2 X Magny Cours 6136 CPUs, Folding is rock solid stable. (yeah, I know, I need to go Linux...probably this weekend when I have time)

I'll let the brave and the bold....and those with an upgrade budget not yet depleted be the first to test IL on their G34 boards. :)

What board were they able to get a slight OC out of on the optys? (how much?)

What factor is that board? Can you run it with just 2 (of 4) chips in place?

I'm thinking this may make a good low power replacement to my 2 SR2s and an i7 once I get home, I can't afford that much power now a days

If you're asking about the KGPE-D16 boards, they're 2P.

I flashed to the latest BIOS this morning, and it's still running fine. It's got a few days left with the MC chips so hopefully no problems crop up.

Back