Half of Adults Believe Social Media Sites Hurt Kids

HardOCP News

[H] News
Name the one thing that is harming children the most in America....and the survey says...social media sites! *DING*

The survey of 1,200 registered voters by Poll Position, conducted Nov. 13 via telephone using Interactive Voice Response technology, asked the loaded question: "Do you think that social media are helpful or harmful to the social development of today's youth?" The results: Fifty-three percent answered "harmful," 20 percent said "helpful," 17 percent said it is "not making a difference," and 11 percent offered no opinion.

The number one thing harming kids today in America is our piss poor education system and the parents unwilling to do anything to fix it and instead would rather bitch about harmless things.

The number one thing harming kids today in America is our piss poor education system and the parents unwilling to do anything to fix it and instead would rather bitch about harmless things.

Agreed but social media sites are not allowed in my home or on my network.

There is hope. Unfortionantly the other half of the parents out there probably find social media sites to be an excellent baby sitter.

I thought the thing hurting kids were PSU coaches ...

Too soon? Eh?

I dont think it is social media sites any more then it is TV, video games, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together and all the other things that have been blamed for the decay of society.

It is parents not willing to spend quality time with their children. I also believe many people who have children drop the ball. It is hard to win bread and come home to deal with the drama associated with teenagers, more people should really think about this before deciding not to use a rubber. I almost believe there should be tests and psychological evaluations before people can reproduce. Not have sex, reproduce. If they cant handle the responsibility then no messing up a child's life.

I refuse to use twitter or myspace. I totally agree with the social media and kids thing though.

I've ponder'ed from time to time removing myself from social media. Although i did just make a page for my side business of PC Repair / Virus Removal. I could always go oldschool and just make a website and pay for a domain.

I'm not 100% for social media but i'm not 100% against it either because i myself use it to keep up with friends.

Parents who do not monitor/restrict their childrens' computer use are the ones doing the harm.

Social media has a lot more capability in affecting children than TV or games, to be fair. Peer pressure and the need to meet social standards are far more influential than playing a game or watching a crummy TV show imo. Does that make social media inherently dangerous? No. Does it mean that if you aren't parenting your children, they are going to learn a whole lot from social media that you never wanted? Yeah.

At that age, can't say it's harmful... but it doesn't really help... Aside from the kid, everyone is to blame. society makes it harder for parents to be the parents, but that's not to say parents shouldn't be more vigilante about these issues.

Does it mean that if you aren't parenting your children, they are going to learn a whole lot from social media that you never wanted? Yeah.

I think the same could be said from any social interaction kids have, I wouldn't restrict that just to the internet.

i agree, our education and the quality of parenting here sucks! i also feel that social media sites not only harm the kids, but they harm everyone.

I think the same could be said from any social interaction kids have, I wouldn't restrict that just to the internet.

But the internet is so deadly and easy to use that the speed, amount, quality, and variety of social interactions are astounding.:cool:

Social media sites does't actually offer anything the internet hasn't offer yet, they just do it all in one place.

If parents are afraid of their kids being expose to indecent pictures, games, profane language, people bitching about their life, well, you can easily see them everywhere else on the internet too.

I the main thing hurting our kids are the parents teaching them that they should expect handouts, if you don't get handouts you are getting screwed.

Oh and jobs are supposed to fall into your lap, don't do anything to try to get one or keep it.

I think they hurt adults too and are an extremely stupid waste of time.

I honestly think the world was better off without mainstream social media. I also agree that the lack of education is going to be one of the root causes of our eventual downfall. Or at least our unwillingness to pursue the problem.

What good comes from Facebook / Google+ / Myspace? Games? A plethora of information about you or other people that nobody should have anyway?

This five fold!

:rolleyes:

Every generation has always spoken of how worthless the future generation is--how poor education has become, how bad parenting has become, that damn rock n' roll and the teleeee-vision rottin' their minds.

Seriously guys, parenting has always sucked, but don't kid yourself into thinking that you or any other parents have that much influence on how children turn out. Children learn basic life skills from parents, after that, they bulk of learning (from parents) involves deception and avoidance of punishment.

so...

social media is making 1/2 the adults taking the survey stupid

am i reading it wrong?

Honestly, the thing harming kids these days is techonology and lack of work ethic. Everyone has become so numb to hard work a traditional sense of "effort". I see it even in the generation right below mine. Social media doesn't help at all...

:rolleyes:

Every generation has always spoken of how worthless the future generation is--how poor education has become, how bad parenting has become, that damn rock n' roll and the teleeee-vision rottin' their minds.

Seriously guys, parenting has always sucked, but don't kid yourself into thinking that you or any other parents have that much influence on how children turn out. Children learn basic life skills from parents, after that, they bulk of learning (from parents) involves deception and avoidance of punishment.

False. Entirely. Not how I was raised. I'm 28, so by no means old. Call me an exception, but I think that's entirely false.

False. Entirely. Not how I was raised. I'm 28, so by no means old. Call me an exception, but I think that's entirely false.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. What's false? That older generations have always said the newer ones suck or that parents don't really have that much influence over their children? In either case, I'm not sure how you were raised is of much relevance. Don't get me wrong, there is some impact parents have (socioeconomic status, for example), but in terms of the worldview and ethics of a child? Society and social circles are a much bigger factor.

-Social media sites...not harming, just changing the way life works.

-My thoughts on piss poor schools: Blame lack of ability to discipline kids at an early age (lawyers and do gooders who do not believe in the belt at school) combined with gov't interference (Dept of education wastes so much money, we have the most spent per child in the world but the govt still screws up the process of actually allowing teachers to be educating kids).

-Real issues with kids: The children of the flower children are raising them with little to no values, combined with having to have two incomes to survive, kids are raising themselves without discipline and pacified with gadgets, leading to the 'I need this and I need that' mentality.

Name the one thing that is harming children the most in America....and the survey says...
Lazy, weak ass parents who should not be breeding in the first place.

Children are not puppies and it is not the governments job to raise your kids.

Remember that before you stick your pecker in some slut and create another convict.

This +1000 :cool:

Lazy, weak ass parents who should not be breeding in the first place.

Children are not puppies and it is not the governments job to raise your kids.

Remember that before you stick your pecker in some slut and create another convict.

Worse wedding speach evar! :p

Social media sites destroy brain matter, whether you are a child or an adult.

I think Adults finally got one mostly right.

I'm not so sure they are good for adults.

Tin Foil Hat Response - Social Media Sites are designed by to slowly erode the human desire for Privacy so when it's finally completely taken away, there won't be a hassle.

I think Adults finally got one mostly right.

I'm not so sure they are good for adults.

Tin Foil Hat Response - Social Media Sites are designed by to slowly erode the human desire for Privacy so when it's finally completely taken away, there won't be a hassle.

Or maybe people should just stop putting such personal information on the internet? I saw someone put their cellphone number in the public Facebook group chat for the NEASG yesterday, rather than just direct messaging the guy.

It used to be common sense to not put a lot of personal information on the internet.

Yeah, I'm going to be that guy.

Shut the FUCK UP with that shit slick, the RAPE of children is NEVER a funny thing.

Way to overreact and read into things, guy. It's obvious you're not mature enough to get the joke when you reply like that. So have a nice day.

Way to overreact and read into things, guy. It's obvious you're not mature enough to get the joke when you reply like that. So have a nice day.

And btw, I would avoid watching the season finale of Southpark if my joke offended you. Just trust me on that one ... they drop about 5 PSU jokes in the first four minutes.

Poor parenting too. Everyone loves to blame something else than themselves. First it was comic books, then television, then the Walkman, then video games, and so on.

WINNER!!!!!!!!

Social media is the dumbest thing ever created.

It's all about moderation, using it every once and a while to keep in touch with friends hardly seems any worse than what they could learn at school from each other, or the internet by itself.

Also to the above comment to the older generation always thinking the younger is worse, I can't speak to too much on that, but when my grandparents learned about my uncle (who is now a VP at AOL/Time Warner) initially ditching college, to essentially become a full blown hippy, I am quite sure the thought at hand came to mind.

Back