Rambus Loses Antitrust Case, Shares Plunge

HardOCP News

[H] News
Not only did Rambus lose its $4 billion anti-trust lawsuit against Micron and Hynix, the company's stocks dropped 60% after news of the ruling hit the street. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch. :)

Rambus Inc lost a $4 billion antitrust lawsuit against Micron Technology Inc and Hynix Semiconductor Inc, erasing more than half of the chipmaker's value as investors abandoned its stock. The verdict, which sent Rambus shares tumbling by 60.6 percent and boosted those of Micron by 23.4 percent, came on Wednesday after a three-month trial in state court and more than eight weeks of jury deliberations.

YAYYYY !!!!

Steve how can I power my pentium4 if Rambus can't compete in today's market?

Nice! Now Rambus needs to go the way of the Dodo and Mammoth.

Yeah but don't you need rambus to power up your sweet rig? who uses ddr2 and ddr3 these days?

Eventually they have to plummet so much that they fail for good. Why should we protect them with bankruptcy laws?

I get that Rambus is/was a "technology licensing company" at one time, but who the hell has licensed their technology in the past decade? And their stock was still actively being traded? They have been a litigation machine longer than they were a real company, they seriously need to go the fuck away now.

I usually wouldn't comment on this but.... Hopefully Rambus decides to stop litigating everyone and get back to making memory related products for income. It was overpriced memory for an already overpriced chip maker. The market beat their performance soon after introduction and was less than 1/3 the price. I've got gig's of rambus sitting here collecting dust. C'mon, by the time this crap was affordable the platforms were too dated to be practical except for restorative usage.

I get that Rambus is/was a "technology licensing company" at one time, but who the hell has licensed their technology in the past decade? And their stock was still actively being traded? They have been a litigation machine longer than they were a real company, they seriously need to go the fuck away now.

If you believe the rumors, AMD may use XDR2 DRAM for 7900 series

I get that Rambus is/was a "technology licensing company" at one time, but who the hell has licensed their technology in the past decade?

Sony uses XDR DRAM on the PS3.

Also AMD plans on using it on the 7xxx series graphics cards.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-HD-7900-XDR2-Rambus-Memory,13408.html

But they're fabless and the stuff apparently is not well liked by Tiawan Fab plants due to the complexity it seems. I'm guessing its a combination of cost due to lack of availability and different manufacturing than SDRAM.

i hated building systems with rambus back in the day..having to populate all 4 slots was so stupid just to get 1 gb of ram

They exist to sue others for patent infringment: ddr stealing their tech etc. Our patent/copyright laws need to be updated for 2011 and instead are going to continue to favor this type of behavior from Rambus, Apple, and other major corps. VIVID COME ON MAN YOU GUYS BEEN NAMING PRON AFTER REAL MOVIES SINCE THE BEGINNING OF VHS lol.

Finally these patent trolls are starting to get what they deserve... I still don't see how they could sit in on a JEDEC specification meeting, then go out and amend an earlier patent to cover something then use that to claim SDRAM and DDR was infringing on them. Seriously if they had whatever technology would it not have been patented or in process of being patented on its own before the meeting or say we might have a conflict here so other memories could have been in the clear from day 1? No, it was intended to screw all other makers.

This made the front page back in the day on the news page here at HardOCP, you can search the old news and find it to verify and read the articles.

Let me sum it up for those who dont know.

Rambus went to JEDEC, an open forum to figure out the next path of RAM (DDR2 I think). In that forum, spacifics of DDR was agreed on. Rambus RAN too the patent office and patented those spacifics they learned about at JEDEC, thus insuring everyone who makes DDR2 would violate there patents. Once DDR2 hit, Rambus swooped in and started suing everyone who made DDR2, even though those idea's were developed in an "open" forum.

Nobody really uses there RAM anymore. It was crap back in the day, and even RANBUS knew it. They still make money extorting RAM makers like a typical patent troll does. Finally someone stood up against this, and won. This should help the overall price of RAM if they dont need to pay RAMBUS the extiotion money anymore.

one's approval or disapproval of the decision aside, how the hell can anyone sanction "more than eight weeks of jury deliberations"? :confused:

I've kept their stock chart in my favorites for almost 10 years, waiting to see them die.
They were trading at around $20 all week, now they're at $7.10, ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

I've kept their stock chart in my favorites for almost 10 years, waiting to see them die.
They were trading at around $20 all week, now they're at $7.10, ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

That is still way too high for them. They should be a penny stock.

I don't follow stocks at all. I had been asked about thin clients back in about '98 and could not give a recommendation. Then when RAMBUS pulled out their lawyers I knew I had a great stock tip, Dump It! I just didn't know anyone that actually owned RAMBUS stock to sell.

Firstly, they'd lose because what they did was wrong. Secondly, if they did win it would repress the entire computer industry since everything uses RAM covered under those patents. It would damn near give RAMBUS a monopoly, and I didn't see the government doing that. I also didn't see the industry accepting that.

I do not own a PS3, and if AMD switches their next graphics chips to XDR, I will switch back to Nvidia. If you continue to do business with assholes, they contiue being assholes.

Can we finally start ringing the death bell for this GD company? I wonder if the other memory makers are going to file suits against RAMBUS now?

Hopefully Rambus decides to stop litigating everyone and get back to making memory related products for income.

NEVER going to happen.

After the crap they pulled, nobody in the industry will work with them again. They won't even get the time of day.

Intel and AMD won't talk to them because they won't have their product held hostage to RAMBUS.

The standards bodies won't allow them in anymore because they've been shown to be manipulative and untrustworthy.

The memory manufacturers won't touch them with a 10 foot pole held by someone they really really hate. They have no reason to produce for RAMBUS since memory standards won't incorporate their tech and the major markets they're worried about won't implement RAMBUS tech.

Not to mention the fact that the technology dead-ended roughly a decade ago and hasn't advanced at all. RAMBUS pretty much burned their war chest of cash. They couldn't put a credible R&D setup together now if they tried. And because of the things I mentioned above, there's no reason to.

Talk about lucky, my sharebuilder auto investment bought Micron Technologies at $5.40/share Tuesday. Time to put in a limit SELL order at double the price to catch the short squeeze.

If RAMBUS goes down then anyone who worked for the company will have a very, very tough time finding a job in the tech industry.

If RAMBUS goes down then anyone who worked for the company will have a very, very tough time finding a job in the tech industry.

I don't think that's true, you could be a great engineer stuck at a crap company. Just cause some execs changed the course of the business from making ram to suing people doesn't mean there weren't good engineers working there. Hell, engineers don't really get to determine what to make nearly as much as execs, they just give them the data, execs decide what they want, and engineers make it happen, hoping to steer it all in the best direction they can, with the limited control they have over the product they are developing...

I don't think that company has had engineers in like 5 years, just lawers and execs. They haven't MADE anything since the P4 days!

Back