MSI's All-new X79 Series Mainboards Deliver Superior Stability

HardOCP News

[H] News
Leading international mainboard and graphics card manufacturer MSI today announces the official release of its X79A-GD65 (8D), X79A-GD65, X79A-GD45, and X79MA-GD45 mainboards. The new mainboards are based on Intel's latest X79 chipset and uses the LGA 2011 socket supporting the 2nd generation Core i7 processors. The X79A-GD65 (8D) features with 8 memory DIMMs, supports 16GB DDR3 memory modules, bringing maximum capacity up to a staggering 128GB! For superior quality and stability, MSI X79 series mainboards adopts Military Class III components.

With DrMOS II - the next generation of DrMOS with improved double thermal protection - the lifetime of components is maximized, even in warmer environments or when the machine is heavily overclocked. MSI X79 series mainboards also feature the latest PCI Express Gen 3 bus and MSI's proprietary Click BIOS II for maximum performance and user convenience. When taking into account all of the other advanced technologies supported such as 3-Way NVIDIA SLI and 4-way AMD CrossFireX multi-GPU processing technology, THX TruStudio PRO sound, Multi-BIOS II, Control Center II, and Super Charger, MSI X79-series mainboards are simply the best choice for enthusiasts!

Of course they said they are the best, what else would they say - "MSI, an okay choice for motherboards"?

Or, "MSI, we're probably just as good as everyone else".

And is there really a Military Class III?

the msi board i have right now sucks. I have nothing but random issues. This is the only reason why i got the 3930k but now i can't find a damn mother board that I want.

They are behind ASUS but ahead of Gigabyte

Funny. Because I dumped an ASUS board after unresolvable issues and went with an MSI. Everything's working great now. As I've said before, there's signs pointing to that ASUS seem to be coasting by on their reputations now instead of maintaining it.

Funny. Because I dumped an ASUS board after unresolvable issues and went with an MSI. Everything's working great now. As I've said before, there's signs pointing to that ASUS seem to be coasting by on their reputations now instead of maintaining it.

Asus seems to have had a bad P67 release, but I haven't heard too many complaints about their Z68 boards (on the Intel side, haven't been following AMD stuff much). I also think that it is also in part due to the other manufacturers raising their game and making better quality stuff - the playing field seems a lot more level than it used to. Or maybe that is just due to the fact that more and more of the core functions are being integrated, so there is less to screw up on the board side.

I wouldn't buy anything from MSI without a positive in depth OC review.

Last edited:
That's a funny opinion, because after years of doing repairs I would say they are the worst (As in, behind everyone)

They had some problems a few years ago with poor quality control of their VRM's, but since then it really seems like they learned from their mistakes.

Every MSI product I have had lately has been REALLY solid.

I - too - would rank them as:

ASUS > MSI > Gigabyte > all other brands

(oh, and I don't include AsRock with ASUS. They may e owned by the same company, but they DO NOT make the same grade of products)

At least when it comes to motherboards. When it comes to video cards, I'd have ASUS and MSI roughly tied, and Gigabyte somewhere WAY WAY behind, with the rest of the brands. I have had nothing but trouble with Gigabyte video cards.

Last edited:
I just wish they would work on their driver updates and bios update software. It's only worked once for me.

+1

I can totally relate. I bought a ASUS P8P67 Pro MB and it was having all sorts of issues, so i exchanged it when the Rev B 3.0 came out. Well is was not any better then the first, so being super frustrated I ent back and got it exchanged for a MSI MB and have had zero issues since then!

MSI are doing a good job :)

They are behind ASUS but ahead of Gigabyte

I would say Gigabyte has stepped it up a lot since the release of Sandy Bridge. And with their new X79 lineup they've improved things like a new digital PWM like ASUS's, Intel NIC's and Killer NIC's for the LAN, higher quality integrated audio solutions, an add-on card that supports Bluetooth 4.0 and Wi-FI, and even a 5 year warranty. Gigabyte's boards are also built with a thicker PCB and just feel higher quality when you hold them and compare them to other board manufacturers.

Last edited:
MSI ain't the best. Gigabyte and Asus are far better. I have a X79A-GD45 motherboard, cause it was the only one that would not block my top cover fan in my computer case and accept my dual slot 580GTX card without a sata-port blocking it. Other designs just did not fit well, else i would never had chosen MSI. MSI is very slow with their firmware. I got a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200 tuner card which used to work in any Gigabyte motherboard, but now is totally not being seen on the MSI board. Been messaging support of Hauppauge and MSI. MSI replies just like i am out of luck if the card still not works with their beta firmware. Just unacceptable. The cheaper Gigabyte's all can detect the card, but MSI can't. Worst brand ever really. All pci-e cards are not detected in Windows device manager...so strange...but if you install the drivers, some might show up in device manager, except the Hauppauge card. I have ordered another Hauppauge model now to see if i will get the same problem..else its really the first and last time i ever buy a MSI again. A highend board that can't recognize a pci-e card...better do your job better MSI.

UPDATE:
A new bios version 1.4 was released recently. After update, my Hauppauge was finally detected and it is working now with Hauppauge's driver. Thank god, they finally got things working. Don't understand why they released an unfinished product before it was 100% working. Is there no organization that can prevent this? Anyways, lesson learned...not to buy new products as soon they are released, wait until they are matured. Found out my cpu C1 revision doesn't have VT-D fixed until C2...time for the next problem.

Last edited:
Back