Copyright Office Will Endorse SOPA Anti-Piracy Bill

HardOCP News

[H] News
Brace yourself for the shocking news that *gasp* the head of the U.S. Copyright Office is backing the Stop Online Piracy Act. I don't think anyone saw this coming! :D

A copy of Pallante's testimony obtained by CNET describes SOPA as "the next step in ensuring that our law keeps pace with infringers." (Part of her job is to provide advice to Congress on copyright law.) "It is my view that if Congress does not continue to provide serious responses to online piracy, the U.S. copyright system will ultimately fail," Pallante's testimony says.

Meanwhile.....

Tens of billions of dollars are lost due to rampant piracy in China. Keep up the good work arresting 14 year old boys downloading Metallica.

I think we should back charge China for all the copies of Windows XP and Microsoft Office they have pirated. Would put a big dent in those trillions we owe them.

So from the article, this bill would basically allow the media conglomerates to shut down any website they see fit, under the guise that said website is enabling piracy without going through due process.

And I wonder why all my thoughts lately involve rope.

Will ultimately fail?

That happened a long time ago.

Constant copyright law without figuring in protections for paying, legal customers is totally farking up everything.

So once this is signed into law we should see a drastic drop in prices, right? :rolleyes: If anything this would confirm a 'problem' with piracy, and give them a reason to charge even more.

I think a more affective approach is better prices and less DRM. Treat pirated software as your competition rather than your enemy. People are not asking for bigger budget films and games, so if they can't turn a profit that's not our problem.

If SOPA passes it will turn into a SOAP opera as people start using 'unlocked' DNS servers and all the mayhem that will follow.

There is no technological answer to digital infringement, only marketplace ones. Big Media is just too lazy, greedy or incompetent to realize that.

Meanwhile.....

Tens of billions of dollars are lost due to rampant piracy in China. Keep up the good work arresting 14 year old boys downloading Metallica.

I think we should back charge China for all the copies of Windows XP and Microsoft Office they have pirated. Would put a big dent in those trillions we owe them.
Well if we set what we can sue them for we can buy there country.:D

Cant lose it when they wouldn't have spent it in the first place.

Yep that's the big fallacy of the "every pirated copy is a lost sale" idea. Each person only has so much money to spend on entertainment, and no amount of legislation and lawsuits will change that. People can't buy a DVD with money they don't have.

Hey, I have no money to spend on gaming right now. If I pirate Skyrim, they aren't loosing a sale! If I pirate it, let a friend play it, and then he buys it, they get a sale.

And F*** yourselves Congress, thats what you're doing to the internet.

If china owed $1T for fake windows/office and all of it was gathered by the US goverment, the debt would still be $1T and microsoft would suddenly have and extra $1T to spend.

Even if all money "lost" to piracy was "repaid" the US goverment would still be massively in debt, because its not theirs or "the peoples" products. Just property of some corporations. This probably does help reduce the debt a little as the goverment gets payed as lackeys, though most of it is probably just "campain donations" (bribes) like usual..

Over 500 million jobs were lost to piracy in the U.S. alone last year

Unemployment is at a staggering 340% due to piracy.

and it funds terrorism!!!
:eek: I swear. The people that make the laws in this country are so out of touch with what the public wants and needs. I think this SOPA or E-Parasite is just one example of how self-absorbed and oblivious our congressmen have gotten to what needs to be done.

Back