Microsoft: Ballmer Didn't Say Windows 8 is Coming to Phones

HardOCP News

[H] News
Calm down people, calm down...Ballmer didn't say Windows 8 was coming to phones. Sheesh, I don't know how many people sent me e-mail saying "Windows 8 is coming to phones everywhere!" ;)

Turns out, that's not how he said it. A Microsoft rep confirmed to us that if transcribed correctly, Ballmer's remarks (documented in the recording below) should read, "We've got broad Windows initiatives driving Windows down to the phone. With Windows 8, you'll..." By "Windows," then, he meant the overarching family of software bearing the Windows name, and not Windows 8 specifically.

People don't change topics/context in the middle of a paragraph like that. There was no transition from one idea to the next; they are mincing words here. I'd rather they say it was a mistake than "Well, if you look carefully..." but I suppose it's better than them saying it after Win 8 mobile came out and looked completely different than Win 8.

sleepeeg3: I believe you are thinking of Win 7 mobile?

It's Windows Phone 7. Windows Mobile is dead.

Windows 8 was never supposed to be for phones and if people paid attention to road-maps they'd know that already. Windows 8 is for PCs and tablets and Windows Phone 8 is supposed to merge some of the coding to help with the aligning of apps and such as well as cross-platform capabilities.

my only Ballmer regret is that he never became the Official Ronald McDonald - he would have been the best ever

People don't change topics/context in the middle of a paragraph like that. There was no transition from one idea to the next; they are mincing words here. I'd rather they say it was a mistake than "Well, if you look carefully..." but I suppose it's better than them saying it after Win 8 mobile came out and looked completely different than Win 8.

Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 are two different things. Of course it will look different to a point. you don't have a desktop on the phone. You will have Metro UI however.

He didn't change topic or anything mid stream. He was discussing the windows family be it on the phone or desktop. He just wasn't doing a very good job with pauses, but was going on more of a ramble.

I was just being facetious. From what has been shown so far, Win 8 = Win Phone 7.

Start menu =/= entire OS.

Have you actually tried Windows 8 yet? I'm still trying to find 1 person that can tell me why they sit on the start menu and don't actually do anything when actually trying to us their computer for day to day task. I've been on the screen for 5 seconds today in the last 6 hours and that was because I needed to start 3 programs that aren't in my task bar.

Back