Google, Facebook, Zynga Oppose New SOPA Copyright Bill

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google, Facebook and a laundry list of other tech companies have voiced opposition to the Stop Online Piracy Act. I thought that whole "strongly worded letter" stuff was a joke. Apparently not. :D

They sent a letter (PDF) last night to key members of the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives, saying the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA, "pose a serious risk to our industry's continued track record of innovation and job creation, as well as to our nation's cybersecurity." The protest was designed to raise objections in advance of a hearing before the full House Judiciary committee tomorrow at 10 a.m. ET (7 a.m. PT). The letter, also signed by eBay, Mozilla, Yahoo, AOL, and LinkedIn, asks politicians to "consider more targeted ways to combat foreign 'rogue' Web sites."

Sounds like the guy who is suppose to be listening has already made up his mind, quote: "House Judiciary Chairman Lamar Smith (R-Texas) has invited five supporters of SOPA to testify tomorrow, but only one opponent."

And it seems there's little lawmaker opposition, except for a handful of Democrats and Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul, quote: "Members of Congress opposed to SOPA have circulated their own letter (PDF), which was signed by Zoe Lofgren and Anna Eshoo, both California Democrats, and Ron Paul, the Republican presidential candidate from Texas, among others."

amen to that!

they should of sent a written letter, no way can they figure out pdfs.

designed to make allegedly copyright-infringing Web sites, sometimes called "rogue" Web sites, virtually disappear from the Internet.

Good for them. After they tackle this problem, they can go after SPAM, virus/malware and CP.

I have a strong feeling they'll succeed in this...............................................

Good for them. After they tackle this problem, they can go after SPAM, virus/malware and CP.

I have a strong feeling they'll succeed in this...............................................

this can be done without them. its called filtering. problem is how do you classify stuff? OpenDNS and the rest work off a person submitting a site to a category and then it being filtered for everyone using that service. Same goes for SPAM, filters are in place for that.

But you can't ever catch 100% of spam, sites or anything like that.

Why is it that the words "facebook" and "zynga" made me pretty sure I was against this before id even read it?

Against the opposition that is facebook and zynga or against the bill they are trying to stop? :confused:

Whatever position facebook and zynga have, I am almost always automatically against it (cant think of any times when I haven't been).

The policy itself is just BS and uses words like "cybersecurity" and "forieign" to look like some big "agree with us or you are a traitor that isn't interested in the nations security! :eek:" crap. It isn't the job of a goverment to enforce corporations policies, nor be their servants. Especially in foreign countries.

This is pretty telling. Someone has someone's hand in their pocket...

"House Judiciary Chairman Lamar Smith (R-Texas) has invited five supporters of SOPA to testify tomorrow, but only one opponent. (Credit: U.S. House of Representatives)"

I would bet that most of congress has no idea what this bill is about except that the idea is that it gives them more control. Since they like control, this bill must be good. I don't think we will get to Australia level internet morality control but only because there will be enough of an uproar to stop it. And hate facebook as much as you want, the sheeple can't live without it and if it was suddenly censored because someone posted a clip from a movie the backlash would get the attention of DC pretty damn fast.

designed to make allegedly copyright-infringing Web sites, sometimes called "rogue" Web sites, virtually disappear from the Internet.

Here's the problem with this garbage. It avoids due process of proving that a website is enaging in piracy, and gives groups like the RIAA the ability to shut down a website on an accusation alone.

so, basically: someone accuses you of a crime, and you are instantly guilty of it and punished accordingly without any proof, or any way to defend yourself.

Old people created the technology.

Morons shouldn't regulate technology.

Haha, a handful of the older generation created what we know today. I've actually had a FEW older people describe the internet as the "E" on the desktop and can't for the life of them understand why with the only the power cord it doesn't work... Spend even a week in a old folks home or a Best Buy and it will become all to clear. I'd sooner trust a 14 year old girl than any of the standard older generation to technology.

They need to have a whole separate board/committee making technology decisions that have proved they know it in and out.

Haha, a handful of the older generation created what we know today. I've actually had a FEW older people describe the internet as the "E" on the desktop and can't for the life of them understand why with the only the power cord it doesn't work... Spend even a week in a old folks home or a Best Buy and it will become all to clear. I'd sooner trust a 14 year old girl than any of the standard older generation to technology.

They need to have a whole separate board/committee making technology decisions that have proved they know it in and out.

That would be a start. Maybe bring in a technology translator, like they do when a witness doesn't speak English.

I hope Apple, Microsoft, and IBM get up with Google and Facebook as well to oppose this shit. I will say, considering what some people in the government (both sides) are trying to do is really, really making this country worse. Fuck these people who make this bullshit bill go anywhere.

Back