Anyone know how to force 0-255 RGB range through an AV receiver using HDMI

Kor

2[H]4U
A seemingly simple question with no easy answer from what I can find. I've recently switched HT receivers from a Yamaha RVX-1800b to a Marantz 6005 and have run into a problem with the Nvidia cards I've been using in my HTPC.

On both the 460 SE and the 560 Ti I have I am seemingly unable to force a full RGB colour range running HDMI despite the fact that the receiver and the display full support it. This causes some pretty big grief when gaming on the couch as the games still render as if a full range connection is present, the result is a large amount of crushed out detail on the dark and light ends of the scale. This isn't a problem with AMD cards as they allow you to choose the desktop color range inside CCC but Nvidia lacks this functionality.

I've tried the old trick of creating an identical 1920x1080 custom res however Nvidia appear to have broken this trick in recent releases (it now tells you that said PC resolution already exists even though it only shows up under the HDTV list). Does anyone know of a method for forcing the OS/Cards to out put the correct range?

buy an ati card? i'll sell you a HIS 6950 for $200 +shipping

a little more helpful though, is it only the most recent nvidia drivers that don't let you make the custom res? what if you go to beta or install forceware or something?

From what I can gather it's been a problem for the last few production and beta releases, you can still create custom resolutions, just apparently not 1080p 32-bit 60hz ones from some insane reason.

I guess I should also explain why the receiver change has made this problem more apparent. It seems that the Yamaha had a less complex method of image process (i.e very little beyond a scaling unit) as such a much large proportion of the displays EDID information was passed to the HDMI device at the other end of the link. With the new receiver the image processor is significantly more complex (allowing for thins like contrast/hue/Chroma Levels) and as such a the displays reported color range is not passed along to the PC in it's entirety. It would seem that the EDID info stored in the new receiver does not succesfully report it's 0-255 colour range support (despite being an option you can physically enable under the HDMI settings).

I've also found that on occasion you can goose the output into full range by flicking between resolutions and 16-bit/32-bit colour, but this is hardly ideal and can end up causing sync issues.

Back