Windows 8 To Revamp Windows Update

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft says it is improving the automatic update process in Windows 8 and, among other things, is minimizing the amount of restarts needed during an update.

The obvious question to ask first is why does the installation of updates even require a restart at all? Ideally, we would like all update installations to happen seamlessly in the background without a restart. But, in reality, there are situations where the installer is not able to update files because they are in use. In these cases, we need to restart your machine to complete the installation. The automatic updating experience thus needs to be able to handle cases where restarts are required.

I'd say the more annoying part of automatic updates is finding your sleep button changed into a update-and-turn-off button. I'd be satisfied if they made it a update-and-restart-then-go-to-sleep button.

But what's a minute waiting for everything to start? :-P

I don't know if people will disagree with me, but I use Windows Update as much as I use Windows Defender or an Anti-Virus.

I don't know if people will disagree with me, but I use Windows Update as much as I use Windows Defender or an Anti-Virus.

I can't say I know enough about you to disagree with you. Do you use Windows Defender or an Anti-Virus? :D

lol, indeed... but you would think someone that's tech savvy would do both....

I don't use Windows Defender or an Anti-Virus either, but I install updates as often as possible.

I can't say I know enough about you to disagree with you. Do you use Windows Defender or an Anti-Virus? :D

That's a good point. I suppose I didn't make myself clear.

No, I don't use any of the following:

Windows Update
Windows Defender
Windows Firewall
Action Center
etc.

They are about as useful to me as User Account Control.

That is why I spent weeks figuring out how many Windows "features" I could remove via RT 7 Lite without the installation crashing.

I use windows update and defender and have had good experiences with both. Rebooting my PC once in a while is not a big deal for me.

Windows Update
Windows Defender
Windows Firewall
Action Center
etc.

That is why I spent weeks figuring out how many Windows "features" I could remove via RT 7 Lite without the installation crashing.

I hope this PC is not connected to the Internet. If it is, and you don't update, use an antivirus or UAC, that's simply retarded. No bones about it.

Windows Update
Windows Defender
Windows Firewall
Action Center
etc.

You're a very silly man. Also, you may be part of a botnet.

Windows Update
Windows Defender
Windows Firewall
Action Center
etc.

Why? I really have no idea what could make someone do this on a modern hardware, there's just no need. Windows 7 runs great on systems with 2GB of memory and anything other than an Atom CPU. My Series 7 Slate boots in about 15 seconds to a useable and responsive desktop, MSE, Windows Update, the works.

I've yet to see any evidence that people who slice and dice Windows 7 are improving their experience and without updates and anti-virus, more than likely you're just making things harder than they need to be.

Windows Update
Windows Defender
Windows Firewall
Action Center
etc.

you did this to save time or... hehe yeah this is silly since a ton of windows updates are just them patching holes in their laughable security. to opt out of these is ridiculous and just inviting spyware and malware into your home.

Why? I really have no idea what could make someone do this on a modern hardware, there's just no need. Windows 7 runs great on systems with 2GB of memory and anything other than an Atom CPU. My Series 7 Slate boots in about 15 seconds to a useable and responsive desktop, MSE, Windows Update, the works.

I've yet to see any evidence that people who slice and dice Windows 7 are improving their experience and without updates and anti-virus, more than likely you're just making things harder than they need to be.

People do it out of habits, based on their understanding of older operating systems.

Windows Update
Windows Defender
Windows Firewall
Action Center
etc.

I don't use them either. I will occasionally run update manually and apply some patches but generally I don't
I also don't use any anti-virus at all.

Machine runs great! Call me crazy! Woot!

I don't use them either. I will occasionally run update manually and apply some patches but generally I don't

You ARE crazy. Just because your system "runs great" doesn't mean you haven't been infected by malware or some other nasty. Windows is notoriously full of security holes and not protecting yourself is just asking for trouble. Do you do any online banking, shopping or otherwise deal with sensitive data on this machine? If so, are you comfortable with the fact that you could be sharing that info and not even be aware of it?

There's more to Internet security than just keeping your system "running great".

Crazy. And Stupid.

Honestly. You have to either be a troll or simply not understand that drive-by attacks are real (on all platforms, not just Windows). And a compromised machine easily becomes a Botnet Club Card holder in no time at all. If you're not running at least an antivirus, turn in your [H] cred now and replace it with [D] for dumb.

I hate how my laptop will upadte itself, i tell it to restart later, i close my laptop for lunch. Come back to open it back up and its restarting itself.. I always lick 4hours but it seems to want to restart after been asleep. This feature looks cool

I hate how my laptop will upadte itself, i tell it to restart later, i close my laptop for lunch. Come back to open it back up and its restarting itself.. I always lick 4hours but it seems to want to restart after been asleep. This feature looks cool

In Control Panel > Power Options > Choose What Closing the Lid Does, change When I Close the Lid to Do Nothing.

In Control Panel > Power Options > Choose What Closing the Lid Does, change When I Close the Lid to Do Nothing.

if you do, make sure you have your normal sleep after 30 mins or whatever your preference is enabled or your computer will drain battery like a mofo.

Windows Update
Windows Defender
Windows Firewall
Action Center
etc.

You're the kind of schmuck who picks the onions off a supreme pizza aren't you?

I use windows update and defender and have had good experiences with both. Rebooting my PC once in a while is not a big deal for me.

The big deal is when your PC reboots itself, especially when you're using it. I don't know if Windows 7 does this anymore, cause I set updates to manual. I rarely run Windows Update, cause there's usually nothing worth a damn to get from it. Plus, I've been burned a few times in the past for running it. Reboot my PC, and some stuff isn't working anymore.

I also hate how it decided to start downloading updates, when I'm using my PC. Couldn't the damn thing wait until the PC was idle?

Linux and Mac OS X have the right idea with updates. Pops up a message for you to install updates, it's up to you if want to. This is by default. Enter a password if you decided to go ahead with it. No auto download, install, and reboot my PC.

What Windows Update really needs is something similar to a Linux package manager where ALL software you have installed is included, not just Windows components.

A system is only as secure as its weakest link, and if you are not updating your browser, plugins etc. you are still leaving yourself open to exploits.

Having one uniform interface through which to remind you about and update all of your software would REALLY help Windows security.

Zarathustra[H];1038024151 said:
What Windows Update really needs is something similar to a Linux package manager where ALL software you have installed is included, not just Windows components.

A system is only as secure as its weakest link, and if you are not updating your browser, plugins etc. you are still leaving yourself open to exploits.

Having one uniform interface through which to remind you about and update all of your software would REALLY help Windows security.

Do you have any idea how many thousands of software applications run on windows? That's easy to do on Linux but would be crippling on Windows if MS has to do it all.

Crazy. And Stupid.

Honestly. You have to either be a troll or simply not understand that drive-by attacks are real (on all platforms, not just Windows). And a compromised machine easily becomes a Botnet Club Card holder in no time at all. If you're not running at least an antivirus, turn in your [H] cred now and replace it with [D] for dumb.

I'll only respond to you since everyone is spewing crap.

I use my machine for gaming and media center pretty mch exclusively.
Since I don't put it in danger I don't need or want all that crap running on my machine.

I would say you guys are bigger dumbasses running all that shit and *thinking* you are safe while you are surfing pron all night.

I don't do online banking and I don't assume that ANY email or online account is EVER safe EVER.

Go ahead and patch forever and ever and ever and ever....see if I care.

I will say this, that I do have a seperate computer that does run AV software etc, and that is the "safe" computer where bills get paid etc. But on my workstation I don't bother.

You guys are paranoid little babies.

Since I don't put it in danger I don't need or want all that crap running on my machine.

I would say you guys are bigger dumbasses running all that shit and *thinking* you are safe while you are surfing pron all night.

I don't do online banking and I don't assume that ANY email or online account is EVER safe EVER.

I will say this, that I do have a seperate computer that does run AV software etc, and that is the "safe" computer where bills get paid etc. But on my workstation I don't bother.

And you guys say Mac users are like this, lol.

So wait, you're too paranoid to bank online, but on the other hand you don't patch or run any type of AV or firewall? What is this, I don't even...

Its possible to get infected from the ads on top of this website, without ever clicking them. Not saying they are infected (don't ban me Kyle :D ), but many legit websites have had infected advertisements.

I would like to be able to keep all the updates locally forever to save me time when doing reinstalls. Just point to the updates on my network. For everything, not just service packs.That is what i would like to see.

Every version they have said they are minimizing restarts. I ain't seen it yet.

MS has been selling the "less restarts" feature since NT 4. I don't hold out much hope that they will be significantly reduced now.

I still don't understand why the kernal can't simply unload and reload without totally rebooting all the hardware, but I'm no OS programmer.

I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials for anti-virus/maleware for win7/XP...it'll be implemented in windows 8 natively I think

Back