Dell SAS backplane power cable

JinNjuicE

n00b
I am trying to salvage a Dell PE2900 8 x 3.5" SAS Backplane board (Dell Part# KU482), but it has a funky 22-pin power connector.

KU482-1.jpg
KU482-2.jpg

Does anyone here know the pinout of Dell SAS Backplane power cable (Dell Part# HC073)?

HC073.jpg

As you can see...it has 3 different color coded cables, but since I don't have a working unit, I cannot use a volt meter to see what they are.

As you can see...it has 3 different color coded cables, but since I don't have a working unit, I cannot use a volt meter to see what they are.
I only see two colors in that picture (yellow and black), what colors do you see?

plugwash, I am not sure if dashpuppy answered your question or not. The connector has yellow, gray, and black wires.

dashpuppy,

I need the pinout of SAS backplane power connector....Pin 1 through 22...
SAS-Power.jpg

I don't think you can help me unless you have a working PE2900 system and a multimeter handy.

dashpuppy,

I need the pinout of SAS backplane power connector....Pin 1 through 22...
SAS-Power.jpg

I don't think you can help me unless you have a working PE2900 system and a multimeter handy.

Are you trying to make the cable ?

Sort of. I have that particular cable, but I am trying to mate it to a standard PSU.

Do you have a working PE2900 system?

Sort of. I have that particular cable, but I am trying to mate it to a standard PSU.

Do you have a working PE2900 system?

thats just asking for problems. and the cable that goes from the backplane goes to the main board, adapting a different psu to work with the server is going to be a pain in ass, along with possibly blowing it up.

@JinNjuicE:

Try this: From the picture that dashpuppy posted above, you can see the 'Power cable to floppy drive' and it's colors. Since this is a well known connector, you know what voltage levels are on what pins of the FDD connector. Use a continuity tester (e.g. multimeter in continuity mode) and trace back the +5V (red wire), +12V (yellow wire) and GND (black wire) connections to the 22pin backplane power connector.

It also appears that there might be a switching power supply on the backplane right between the FDD and CDROM power connectors (you can see the large caps and inductor in the picture above). This may supply an additional voltage not supplied via the backplane connector to either one of the other power connectors or the actual HDD connectors. You could trace it out and see where this power supply is connected to. I guess if this is a switching power supply, that it is a buck converter that is either powered by the +5V or +12V rail.

You can also trace back the voltages from the HDD connectors (the section with the 15pins) to the 22pin backplane connector.

Hope this helps...

dashpuppy, I understand your pov, but I am willing to take a shot.

treadstone, thanks for your suggestion. I will try that.

dashpuppy, I understand your pov, but I am willing to take a shot.

treadstone, thanks for your suggestion. I will try that.

i'm still confused on what you are trying to do, are you trying to get a working psu to power this server up or just the back plane ?

Back