BF3 Console Vs PC

heatthegreat

Limp Gawd
How far off are they visually ? I friend just let me borrow it for 360 and since I don't have my rig for 4 months, I thought I'd at least play the single player a lil bit. Is it as bad as people are saying? Just curious

Visually....

Theres a major difference, its very noticable.

PC just looks more incredible than the console version to me, I have the PC and the 360 versions.

Personally, I feel it's a big difference. I bought it for the PS3 at first and found it graphically lacking. Not to mention the dumbed down multiplayer, as console do not support 64 player maps (24 I believe).

Soon after release I bought it for the PC and have been happy ever since. Never again will I make the console mistake :)

After my PS3 experience I have felt like such a n00b... Despite how many showers I take, I can't get the feeling of console off me. I feel so dirty :-(

Last edited:
I bought both a PC version and a PS3 version. I enjoy both but the PS3 is lacking in several areas:

1. 24 player max
2. In-game voice chat is buggy and you can't understand anyone you're playing with. This is the biggest negative imo because when you play with friends you can't communicate. It really kills the teamwork experience.
3. Graphics are on "low" when compared to PC graphic settings
4. Max fps is set to 30
5. When I use the quickplay feature for multiplayer, I usually get into a server with 12 people. To get around this I only join by server browser now.

I also bought both the PC and ps3. Version. Only play the ps3 when I feel like a couch potato. However I find it more challenging playing on the console. Maybe because I suck as fps using analog stick however it does feel good when I manage to kill someone lol. I have been playing on the console version more and more these day. Think I'm getting the hang of it. I agree that they need to patch the voice chat as soon as possible. Because of this I find that the console players lack a lot of team play compare to the PC version. The graphics doesn't really bother me that much.

if you have the rig to push the eye candy up, the difference is night and day. the console versions are more convenient i guess

Sometimes u just wanna sit on the couch in front of the big tv to play games. That's where its nice to play on console.

Sometimes u just wanna sit on the couch in front of the big tv to play games. That's where its nice to play on console.

Or, when you have the best of both worlds and use a 360 pad to play on your PC, which is hooked up to your big screen :)

If I need to, I can swap to mouse/kb (requires moving a table).

Or, when you have the best of both worlds and use a 360 pad to play on your PC, which is hooked up to your big screen :)

Lol and enjoy getting raped even more so online by everyone else using KB&M. Unless you're just playing single player, in which case you're doing it wrong :p. Definitely get a table or something for the KB&M unless you like being at a disadvantage ;).

I use my computer on my TV screen (actually a 106' 1080p projector) and my monitor. I play mostly Single Player on my screen using a 360 Controller, when i play multiplayer, i use my Monitor and KEYB/MOUSE.

I remember somebody saying (on this forum), that if PC version of BF3 had a video option setting that would equal what you get on the console, it would be called "Looks like ass!!!!..."
I totally agree... I play on PC and have all settings at "LOW" (due to my old 460GTX 768MB), but it still looks a million times better than consoles...

Lol and enjoy getting raped even more so online by everyone else using KB&M. Unless you're just playing single player, in which case you're doing it wrong :p. Definitely get a table or something for the KB&M unless you like being at a disadvantage ;).

I use mouse/KB for BF3... Unless it's a vehicle. But you'd be surprised, the gamepad isn't as bad as you think.

Skyrim is a perfect example on why it's best on PC with a 360 gamepad.

BF3 on Consoles:
50919-guerrilla-war-nes-screenshot-starting-the-games.jpg

BF3 on PC:
bf3_pc_screenshot_ultra_setting_2.jpg

I remember somebody saying (on this forum), that if PC version of BF3 had a video option setting that would equal what you get on the console, it would be called "Looks like ass!!!!..."
I totally agree... I play on PC and have all settings at "LOW" (due to my old 460GTX 768MB), but it still looks a million times better than consoles...

You're playing on all low settings with an 460GTX??? WOW.

that first screen shot of the Console VS PC where the console is an 8bit game....your PC screen shot looks about as bad as the Console version of the game.

I run low setting at 2650x1600 and it looks far better than the screen shot you just posted.

Visual differences aside, in my experience the Xbox 360 version ran decent and was certainly playable, and somewhat fun.

The 24 player cap was the big killer though. On about half the maps (the larger ones), a large portion of the players were in vehicles. On a 12 player team with 5 vehicles on the map (2 tanks, 2 jets, 1 helicopter) that puts 5-8 players in a vehicle most of the time. This leaves only 4 people playing as infantry on the ground going after the capture points. I found that these maps are far too large for this, making defending these points extremely stale.

I borrowed my copy for Xbox 360; I can't justify buying it and plan to stick to the PC version.

I use mouse/KB for BF3... Unless it's a vehicle. But you'd be surprised, the gamepad isn't as bad as you think.

Skyrim is a perfect example on why it's best on PC with a 360 gamepad.

Well of course a game like Skyrim is perfect for the game pad. It doesn't rely on quick reflexes/turnarounds like a faster paced game (like BF3) does. I actually played Oblivion and the fallout games with my 360 pad on PC and preferred it over the KB&M setup just for ergonomic reasons and aiming isn't early as important, esp. in Fallout with VATS or if you just using melee weapons.

My point was though; that you're not going to be as competitive online on PC if you use a game pad over KB&M. You essentially have to trade accuracy for sensitivity and that is much less so on KB&M (though still true to a certain extent).

I played bf3 on both pc and ps3 and i have to say the console version feels dumbed down and i feel like i'm only getting half the experience of the game. 24 player limit makes the games feel very small. I recommend getting it on pc, i have it on ps3 and i'm not really enjoying it that much.

that first screen shot of the Console VS PC where the console is an 8bit game....your PC screen shot looks about as bad as the Console version of the game.

I run low setting at 2650x1600 and it looks far better than the screen shot you just posted.

Seriously? I think I am running everything on ultra but with the blur turned off. I think I shall check my settings tonight when I get home.

Seriously? I think I am running everything on ultra but with the blur turned off. I think I shall check my settings tonight when I get home.

No not yours l00segravel's blurry one. Your's looks better than mine for sure.

I get 5-10 FPS on ultra at 2650x1600 on just 1 460gtx.

To give a non snarky PC ROOLZ/CONSOLES DROOL response, for all intents and purposes the console version looks fine, for what it is.

Sure, compared to the PC version on Ultra it doesn't hold a candle, but it represents a graphical upgrade from BC2, and it plays fine. I have complaints about the light sourcing, and while I wish there was a slightly higher player cap, say 32, I never liked 64 player maps in the BF series anyway so I don't miss that. Infantry only BF2 stuff was fine, but I found it too chaotic on BC2 on most of the maps.

I only have two friends who do any gaming on the PC any more, and they also own a 360. So when it comes to playing basically by myself online with the PC, or with 8 people on my gaming nights on the 360, I choose that option.

That matters more to me than the graphics. Taking only graphics into account, the PC wins hands down.

To give a non snarky PC ROOLZ/CONSOLES DROOL response, for all intents and purposes the console version looks fine, for what it is.

Sure, compared to the PC version on Ultra it doesn't hold a candle, but it represents a graphical upgrade from BC2, and it plays fine. I have complaints about the light sourcing, and while I wish there was a slightly higher player cap, say 32, I never liked 64 player maps in the BF series anyway so I don't miss that. Infantry only BF2 stuff was fine, but I found it too chaotic on BC2 on most of the maps.

I only have two friends who do any gaming on the PC any more, and they also own a 360. So when it comes to playing basically by myself online with the PC, or with 8 people on my gaming nights on the 360, I choose that option.

That matters more to me than the graphics. Taking only graphics into account, the PC wins hands down.

Fire your friends and get new ones.

I kid I kid. But that does suck I have no friends so PC is fine with me. But in my youth golden eye on N64 with all my friends was all the rage.

My nephew has the 360...and I watched him play, and the game looks good; and he seems to have fun. But I prefer the K&Mouse, w/ 64 players, etc.

It looks like crap because he's being shot at. Suppression effect otherwise known as, "someone smeared vaseline on my gaming goggles".

The first pic may look blurry because it is a compressed image. It is only 560 or so pixel high and I am sure he is not running that. So it may just be that whatever program or website compressed it did a bad job. He probably also has his gamma all the way up to help him see people. Nothing you can do about that in BF3 you have to sacrifice some graphics so it is easier to see people.

BF3 on console. Funniest joke I've herd all week.

Does it bother you that it will sell probably 2 or 3 times as much on the console? Because, it will be a far greater success on that platform.

note : I own the PC version, but I dont care how people play games. Platforms, graphics, pixel counting means dick to me. Gaming is about fun not putting down other gamers. It does nothing to help your 'cause' by insulting other gamers.. just FYI.

Does it bother you that it will sell probably 2 or 3 times as much on the console? Because, it will be a far greater success on that platform.

note : I own the PC version, but I dont care how people play games. Platforms, graphics, pixel counting means dick to me. Gaming is about fun not putting down other gamers. It does nothing to help your 'cause' by insulting other gamers.. just FYI.

It does bother me, a bit. Consoles set the bar low and ultimately hurting gaming in general. The PC is a great platform that should be the staple in gaming and dumbed down for the console counterpart. I know I'm beating a dead horse with this post, as the industry will never change. But it still bothers me.

I'm in the same boat. I have BF3 for the PC and 360. Have one friend who plays on the PC and have 6 others who play it in the 360. If I want to play the PC it is mostly by myself too. While the graphics are worse on the Xbox the game-play is about the same for me between the 360 and PC. The MP experience (finding servers and playing with friends) is a lot more seamless on the 360 then the PC too. I can get into a game in a matter of seconds on the 360, sometimes it takes a minutes on the PC. The Origin web interface just blows IMHO. I also am getting to the point that I prefer using a controller now as I find myself getting frustrated remembering what keys are for what when playing BF3 on the PC using a keyboard. You can't go wrong with either platform. If you want better graphics and you have the machine to utilize what the PC has to offer then I would go for the PC. However, if you are getting BF3 for the MP and have more friends who play it on the 360 then I'd go for that version. In terms of GAMEPLAY, not graphics, the two are similar.

It does bother me, a bit. Consoles set the bar low and ultimately hurting gaming in general. The PC is a great platform that should be the staple in gaming and dumbed down for the console counterpart. I know I'm beating a dead horse with this post, as the industry will never change. But it still bothers me.

Jesus fucking christ. Do I have to type this out again.

Consoles are so commonplace now that the expanded market doesn't hurt the gaming industry it brings more competition into the market looking for that slice of pie.

I agree and while graphics look great there are things people point out in PC games that are not even noticeable to most people.

Consoles are so commonplace now that the expanded market doesn't hurt the gaming industry it brings more competition into the market looking for that slice of pie.

So in the last 5 years of gaming I have not seen this, I am waiting for that to materialize. So far all I have seen is various games go console only, the average price of new AAA titles increase from $50 to $60. Games like crysis go from pinnacle graphics in one version meant for PC to mediocre cross platform tiles. The overall quality drecrease and bugs increase as developers are splitting their efforts between typically 3 and as many as 5 platforms. I have seen acceptable framerates in games go from 100 down to 30. I guess the competition is good for someone but it's not me.

Also the major selling point of a game like BF3 is realism. A big part of realism is graphics. So ya graphics are important. I mean there is a reason people have gravitated toward modern warefare and it aint the gameplay.

So in the last 5 years of gaming I have not seen this, I am waiting for that to materialize. So far all I have seen is various games go console only, the average price of new AAA titles increase from $50 to $60. Games like crysis go from pinnacle graphics in one version meant for PC to mediocre cross platform tiles. The overall quality drecrease and bugs increase as developers are splitting their efforts between typically 3 and as many as 5 platforms. I have seen acceptable framerates in games go from 100 down to 30. I guess the competition is good for someone but it's not me.

Also the major selling point of a game like BF3 is realism. A big part of realism is graphics. So ya graphics are important. I mean there is a reason people have gravitated toward modern warefare and it aint the gameplay.

Good post Rudy. You summed it up nicely.

The overall gaming industry is fine b/c consoles have expanded the market and everyone between 10yrs old to 80yrs old has access to it.

The PC gaming industry is crap b/c consoles are it weighing down.

Lots of very high settings...

1680x1050
4xMSAA
16xAF
Everything Ultra

EDIT: Just in case you're confused, this is not an Xbox. ;)

Last edited:
Back