Apple Reportedly Has No Plans to Bring Siri to Older Devices

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you’ve tried out Siri, like it and want to install it on your older Apple device, you had better forget about it. In an email conversation it was unofficially revealed that Apple has no plans to offer Siri support for older devices. But who knows for sure? Apple is a savvy company and if there is enough demand, supply will follow.

“Siri only works on iPhone 4S and we currently have no plans to support older devices,” Apple’s engineering department reportedly responded.”

Only works on the 4S?

That is actually true.

Because they made it that way.
It was an app that worked on earlier iPhones that Apple pulled from the market when the 4S was released to force people to upgrade. It is a lie and a scumbag move.

Do they really think they're fooling anyone?

There's no reason this wouldn't work on iPhone 2G.

They're just trying to up iPhone 4S sales because, frankly, it's disappointing.

You're doing Steve proud, Apple.

If you’ve tried out Siri, like it and want to install it on your older Apple device, you had better forget about it. In an email conversation it was unofficially revealed that Apple has no plans to offer Siri support for older devices. But who knows for sure? Apple is a savvy company and if there is enough demand, supply will follow.

OK.

What is an "older" device? Anything pre 4s? I dont see why an Ipad 1/2 couldnt easily run Siri. Or for that matter the current Ipod Touch.

Just typical Apple bullshit to try and get people to upgrade.

its a feature that makes the iphone 4s less of a comodity compared to the 4 and the 3gs thus they have it locked to the 4s which makes sense: how else are they going to keep people upgrading?

OMG a capitalistic company is trying to make profits?!?! HOW DARE THEY!!! GET THE TORCHES AND PITCHFORKS!!!

I smell bullshit but hey other companies are known to do similar moves..

As a 4s owner, I can tell you, you're not missing anything. It's cool for setting reminders and alarms, but other than that, it's really just a gimmick.

Do they really think they're fooling anyone?

There's no reason this wouldn't work on iPhone 2G.

They're just trying to up iPhone 4S sales because, frankly, it's disappointing.

You're doing Steve proud, Apple.

Link to POOR 4S sales please.

OMG a capitalistic company is trying to make profits?!?! HOW DARE THEY!!! GET THE TORCHES AND PITCHFORKS!!!

I'm not a fan of greed winning over customer support and service. I understand the motivations, but Apple is supposed to be a "#1 customer service" type business in the tech world, so it seems a little stretchy to alienate customers who are still under contract for buying a perfectly capable device from YOU a year ago. If the hardware isn't able (like facetime on older models) that's one thing, but this is just a darn app.

had siri installed for quite a while on my 3GS back when it was a stand alone app... i find it amusing that they are forcing people to upgrade to a 4s for software than ran fine on a phone 2 generations behind

siri...just another take on several android apps that have been doing the same thing for years.

True lie...

Truth, but the the statement is missing the automagically inferred:
"Siri only *magically* works on iPhone 4S": they allegedly calibrated the voice recognition to only properly work with the new microphone in the 4S. http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/11/apple-siri-4
And we all know how Apple's QC team demands perfection!
*cough* almost every OS update; iOS 5 battery, lion, final cut *cough*

Lie: Just as the same Siri app ran on older devices so can this one. It is not a processor or data speed issue and has nothin to do with new chips but an intentional lockout to force upgrades... which we recognize as standard practice per corporate greed...
it's their dogmatic RDF misinformation that makes us *hate*

Doesn't Apple know that no doesn't always mean no. For Hackers it means YES!

As a 4s owner, I can tell you, you're not missing anything. It's cool for setting reminders and alarms, but other than that, it's really just a gimmick.

+1 , also if its past 12:00AM (the next day) you end up asking your phone to set you an alarm for "today" how stupid does that sound? I also think its barely if at all faster than punching through with your phone. Thats assuming Siri understands you the first time.

Although the 4s has a beautiful camera. Luckily I'm on the "good" upgrade cycle. 3G, 4, I'll catch the 5 relatively soon after it comes out.

Luckily I'm on the "good" upgrade cycle. 3G, 4, I'll catch the 5 relatively soon after it comes out.

This is disturbing.

I buy a tool to do a job. If it breaks, I'll replace it.

I've got this nice set of screwdrivers with ergonomic rubber handles. Still work, but next year I'm going to waste money upgrading to the new set with textured rubber handles.

First world problems bro.

its a feature that makes the iphone 4s less of a comodity compared to the 4 and the 3gs thus they have it locked to the 4s which makes sense: how else are they going to keep people upgrading?

I am not thinking older Iphones so much as my Ipad 2. No question I have the cpu power etc to run Siri.

This is disturbing.

I've got this nice set of screwdrivers with ergonomic rubber handles. Still work, but next year I'm going to waste money upgrading to the new set with textured rubber handles.

Don't see the big problem in upgrade Cell Phones on your plan's cycle? You may not see any difference in upgrading your tools but a Smart Phone is something COMPLETELY different.

This is disturbing.

If he is going to be paying for a contractual cell plan, why not at least take advantage of subsidized upgrades? At $200 for the new phone, I'm sure he can sell his 3g for a decent amount and get a nice upgrade... and yeah the difference in performance in smart phones even a year old is pretty staggering.

This is disturbing.

umadbro?

Why wouldn't someone upgrade every two years? My Blackberry two+ years ago was night and day compared to my Droid Charge I got several months back. In two more years, I can't wait to see what they have when it's time to upgrade. Enjoy your flip phone.

Siri is already ported to the 3Gs via jailbreak. That alone proves you don't need a powerful phone to access the cloud for information.

Back