Apple Admits iOS 5.0.1 did Not Fix All Battery Issues

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The just-released iOS 5.0.1 from Apple that was supposed to fix the poor battery performance on the iPhone 4S does, and does not. The fix did just that in many iPhones, but left many out in the cold with the same problem. Apple said it will be continue to investigate the problems.

The recent round of complaints suggests, however, that not all iPhone 4S owners are having software-related problems. Some of the more serious cases — particularly those that haven’t been improved by the iOS 5.0.1. update — could stem from hardware issues

It gave mine the issue....full charge to 44% in less than 4 hours. Phone not in use during that time.

wow pretty freaking sad when you control both the hardware and the software running on it and you cant fix it.

I can confirm it doesn't work. I got the update this morning, and my battery life still sucks. They better get it figured out soon, or this thing is going back before my 30 days is up.

I can confirm it doesn't work. I got the update this morning, and my battery life still sucks. They better get it figured out soon, or this thing is going back before my 30 days is up.

Have you tried disabling the "setting time zone" feature?

You must not be upgrading it right :)

Agreed. That would be the only possible explanation.

It gave mine the issue....full charge to 44% in less than 4 hours. Phone not in use during that time.

You are a pretender! Do not tarnish the Apple faith with your wavering beliefs! Stop your blasphemy!

wow pretty freaking sad when you control both the hardware and the software running on it and you cant fix it.

Silence, infidel! Spreading your lies would not do you any good, heathen.

IT JUST WORKS GUYS

Quoted for truth.

I like iOS 5.0.1. iPad gestures are nice.

Bless you, Apple faithful. May the light of the Holy Apple shine upon you always.

:D

I love Apple and all their products and nothing is wrong with them. lol
Am I reading the article right, 5.0.1 now causes the battery drain? Say I'm reading that wrong, please.

I love Apple and all their products and nothing is wrong with them. lol
Am I reading the article right, 5.0.1 now causes the battery drain? Say I'm reading that wrong, please.

If you had the issue before this might of fixed it....if you didnt have the issue before...this might of caused it....

All I know is that my ipod touch went from not being charged except once a week to being charged DAILY...and thats with zero wifi use, zero game use, just playing music in my car...

Paging mobusta1 to this thread. Paging mobusta1 to this thread. Apple needs you to defend them! Overlord Cook demands it!

When Apple constantly tracks your location information for reselling the data and you normally are not in an area the GPS works, your GPS cycles on and off all the time...hence, killing battery. Then again, even if the GPS gets a signal, the phone still connects to update apple on your position all the time.

The update did something. I am noticing a significant savings in battery, esp overnight.

Eh. I got a 4s. I had similar battery life to my 3gs when the 3gs was new. On average about 60% charge by bedtime, which means charge it daily. Play certain games, and you can drain it REALLY fast, and more often than not those games that do aren't that graphically impressive. My wife put iOS 5 on her circa april 2011 ipod touch, and has seen slightly shorter battery life.

I did the 5.01 OTA upgrade, and so far it looks to have done nothing of note to my phone.

My android experience with my samsung galaxy S for work was that unless I turned wi-fi and GPS off, I could get stuck in loops of trying to do something not user initiated and have the battery drain in about an hour while trying to brand my leg with it's logo. Most of my friends have gone android for various reasons, and about half of them have had very disapointing battery life and have had to use manual intervention to make sure the phone part worked over the course of a day like I have had to.

SO arguing that the iphone is shit because of a less than perfect update is pretty silly given that a large number of android devices come out the gate with similar or worse problems. I will point out that my iphone 4s got an update to try to fix the problem some people were having with battery life in less than 30 days, and it was an OTA update. My samsung didn't have a fix available for over 6 months, didn't have an officially supported fix for the better part of a year. That fix is well hidden on the manufacturers site, and still isn't on my phone because the application to put the fix onto the phone (despite android supporting OTA updates) requires a 32 bit windows computer to install, which I do not currently have access to.

Once you weed out the folksliving in fantasy land who would like smartphones to be able to work at 100% load for days on end without a recharge, you aren't talking about huge differences in hardware or software. Although I'd give iOS about a year head start in refinement and bug squishing. Maybe 18-20 months with the distraction of honeycomb that didn't really help the handset market. From the customer satisfaction aspect, a limted hardware selection plus having a single entity to complain to ( rather than the game of pass the buck that cna go on with an android device) leads to better results.

Back