Twitter Must Give User Info in WikiLeaks Probe

HardOCP News

[H] News
A U.S. District Court judge has upheld a ruling from last year that ordered Twitter to cough up Wikileaks account info to federal prosecutors.

Prosecutors have said federal law specifically allows them to seek account information and say it is a routine investigative tool. The law in question— the Stored Communications Act — allows prosecutors to obtain certain electronic data without a search warrant or a demonstration of probable cause. Instead, the government must only show that it has a reasonable belief that the records it seeks are relevant to an ongoing criminal investigation.

"Prosecutors have said federal law specifically allows them to seek account information"

Maybe of American users but they have no legal right to data of other countries users. Who the fuck is the USA government to say they have the right to personal data of international users of Twitter? I don't use twitter anyway but for them to think they can make up bullshit laws to suit them just rubs me, and many other people, the wrong way.

This has been the case for ever, practically. IT would be neat if Twitter simply doesn't have the info though, right? I mean, I would have the system purge itself of that stuff every day or so.

"Prosecutors have said federal law specifically allows them to seek account information"

Maybe of American users but they have no legal right to data of other countries users. Who the fuck is the USA government to say they have the right to personal data of international users of Twitter? I don't use twitter anyway but for them to think they can make up bullshit laws to suit them just rubs me, and many other people, the wrong way.

The MPAA was able to sue people in other countries for breaking US law in their own country, so why stop now?

Damn. I can understand getting the information, no problem with that. The without a warrant is what is wrong with the whole thing.

2009. In a judiciary commitee Senator Russ Feingold asks Attorney General David Kris if the PATRIOT Act is being used by and large for warrantless searches in criminal cases instead of "terrorist" cases. Kris admits that in 2008 of 763 warrantless searches granted only 3 were related to terrorism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSXMW2FMC7A

Watch it for yourself. Make your own decision.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/nov/11/us-verdict-privacy-wikileaks-twitter

"Last month the Inter-Parliamentary Union, which represents MPs from 157 countries, unanimously adopted a resolution condemning the move by the Justice Department. The IPU said the move threatened free speech and suggested it could violate Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which upholds the right of everyone to freedom of opinion and expression."

Back