How to flash DELL H200 to LSI 9211-8i RAID Firmware?

needcache

n00b
Hi,

maybe someone can help me.
I try to use a H200 in Raid1 with hotspare disk in a non DELL server. The problem is, that by default the cache is disabled for the vdisk and it's NOT possible to enable the cache with the OMSA LiveCD, or any other OMSA related method (e.g. Ubuntu LiveCD and installing the need tools/config ...), because the service doesn't start on a NON DELL server!
I read reports about successfull flashing to LSI SAS9211-8i, but NO details about what version of sas2flsh, rom & bin/fw was used. The not working combinations it tried so far:
dos sas2flsh ver.7 + P11 (or P9, P10) files, with instructions from the lsi kb.

But if someone reports, that in generic firmware it's also NOT possible to enable cache for the vdisk, then I don't need to try this. Or has anyone a diferent way to enable cache in the H200?

Thanks

I flashed my H200 to the LSI fw. Forgot the exact steps involved, but I believe I had to first erase the fw and bios with the dell version of the flash utility, reboot, then use the dell utility with the lsi bios and rom files.

Suprnaut,

could you please check what version no. is your bios/fw.
Is it the -IT or -IR firmware?

You have to download the firmware package from LSI, then when you go to flash, erase the firmware and bios before you flash. Then flash the firmware and bios with the IT/IS fw and restore the bios.

sas2flsh.exe -o -e 6 This will erase fw and bios.(don't use option 7 because it will erase your sas address)

sas2flash.exe -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom This will flash the new firmware of your choosing and restore the bios.

Go here:
http://www.lsi.com/channel/products/storagecomponents/Pages/LSISAS9211-8i.aspx

Then support / downloads > Firmware > and download the first option: 9211_8i_Package_P11_IR_IT_Firmware_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows

I just did this a few days ago. Works like a charm.

Also, DO NOT REBOOT after erasing the firmware and bios... make sure you have all the files on your bootable usb drive or CD before starting the process... Including the firmware and bios file. It all needs to be done at the same time, without rebooting.

Does anyone know whether the existence of a Dell IT firmware release is fact or fiction? I caught a brief mention of it on another site earlier this week but I've not been able to locate it on the Dell support site.

I just answered my previous question. I realize the thread is asking about LSI firmware specifically, but in the event anyone is interested the Dell 6Gbps SAS HBA is allegedly the same hardware with external ports and ships with IT firmware. Below are a couple of relevant links:

http://support.dell.com/support/dow...peid=-1&formatid=-1&impid=-1&checkFormat=true

http://support.dell.com/support/dow...peid=-1&formatid=-1&impid=-1&checkFormat=true

According to what I've read, the .bat file included with the firmware does not recognize the H200 so sas2flsh with the -o argument must be executed manually to flash the card.

Unless there's a need for LSI specific firmware functionality, this appears to be a quick and easy method of flashing the H200 with IT firmware.

I just got the dell h200 card and have followed all the info i found on the web. i made a usb bootable, but when i execute sas2flsh.exe -o -f6gbpsas.fw , it says: "Error: failed to initialize PAL. Exiting program." What does this mean? i actually see the card bios. i have IR firmware installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, i am using a asrock z77 fatal1ty board. thanks in advance.

P.S. i also posted my same question in another board on how to flash the dell h200 firmware.

Back