Google Reportedly Looking to Get into the Cable TV Business

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Google is exploring the possibility of a foray into the cable TV business. Nothing to get that excited about since Google takes a shotgun approach to future business ventures and this could be one that ends up being shelved.

A cable service would be separate from the Google TV, which is comprised of software and hardware to stream YouTube and other Internet content to the television screen

I'd see no problem with that. Hell, with the way google operates, they'd probably let us watch for free if we let them stream banners on the bottom of our TV shows and record all the data from the shows we watch.

greedy networks are what has set the standard for our country's cable tv quality level. It's difficult to make any money on it when corps like ESPN demand 3 or more dollars per customers for their programming. Multiply that out by all the other networks and you'll see why your MSO's prices are so high and why their profit margins are so low. The industry could really benefit from a "Walmart" like cable tv giant, bullying content providers and beating them down on their costs. Someone's gotta start keeping these guys honest.

I'd see no problem with that. Hell, with the way google operates, they'd probably let us watch for free if we let them stream banners on the bottom of our TV shows and record all the data from the shows we watch.

That's exactly what commercials originally were!!! :D

What's old is new again, my friend.

It'll be like Nielsen, except you opt-in automatically when you sign up for Google cable TV.

Would I still have to pay $70 just to have a basic package, + $7 to record on DVR +$10 to have the honor of getting HD broadcasts? If not, then no way! Cable/Sat providers already know how to screw us proper, we don't need some new upstart trying to get a crack at our asses too!

If they offered channels à la carte AND cable internet access, I'd likely ditch Comcast ASAP.

If they offered channels à la carte AND cable internet access, I'd likely ditch Comcast ASAP.

Yep, first company to offer pay per channel is gonna hit it gold. Netflix and Hulu are pretty close to this, but something a little more streamlined to a genre would be cool.

Back