Amazon Announces Kindle Owner's Lending Library

Limit: 1 Book a month?

Meh. Still groundbreaking, once again..... good job amazon, getting reading 'popular' again. :)

Doesn't appear to work for older kindles - or I just can't figure it out. Both likely possibilities.

How do you borrow a copy? When it goes back does it get deleted? Do they really think we're this stupid!?!?!

Basically it's a digital copy that expires.

Doesn't appear to work for older kindles - or I just can't figure it out. Both likely possibilities.

The page says it works with all kindle generations. Maybe there is/will be an update or something.

I have prime anyway because I am hooked on the shipping, might be a nice bonus to read a free book once a month if the selection is decent.

Amazon uses a DRM system with their ebooks so it would be very easy for Amazon to let someone "borrow" an ebook.

It's USER error :)

kindle-loans.jpg

Wow, that could be the spark to Kindle the Amazon firesale this Christmas if the device comes with free books.
I don't know how the publishers and libraries reacted to this announcement, but it does not look good.
Any recent book in the list of 5,000 free books, or are they just books with no active copyright?

Wow, that could be the spark to Kindle the Amazon firesale this Christmas if the device comes with free books.
I don't know how the publishers and libraries reacted to this announcement, but it does not look good.
Any recent book in the list of 5,000 free books, or are they just books with no active copyright?

Because I am 99% sure amazon pays for the "rental" -- as you see its limited to 1 rental per month. Amazon can eat that, believeeee me.

They are already selling the Amazon Kindle Fire for $199, when its costs amazon over $208 to make in reality!

It's all about getting a HUGE user base for "free" -- then changing or making pay-for services..... that's the good business model these days (see: FB, gmail, yahoo mail, etc --- they bring in nothing for most users since its free, but some people will click stuff, buy things, etc and they can profit in the end)

What don't look good; looks great to me.

Kindle has had free active copyrighted books for a couple months via Amazons new public library lending program. Many if not most public libraries support Kindle now. The announcement was pretty clear in saying current New York Times best sellers.

This seems to be an extension of that for Amazon Prime members.

The Kindle Fire is getting real attractive with this and Prime video streaming for $80 a year

All Amazon needs now is a music subscription service, and FLAC downloads for purchases. Anyway, this is pretty cool. Amazon just keeps getting better.

Back