Mobile GPU Comparison: GTX 580M versus HD 6990M

HardOCP News

[H] News
The gang at PC Perspective have posted a little mobile GPU comparison today that pits the GeForce GTX 580M against a Radeon HD 6990M.

Mobile graphics cards are really a different beast than the desktop variants. Despite have similar names and model numbers, the specifications vary greatly as the GTX 580M isn't equivalent to the GTX 580 and the HD 6990M isn't even a dual-GPU product. Also, getting the capability to do a direct head-to-head is almost always a tougher task thanks to the notebook market's penchant for single-vendor SKUs.

The mobile naming convention is so misleading. OMG a mobile 6990?! Where do I sign up..oh wait...

I have a sager with a 6990m and it performs quit well in BF3....makes be perfectly happy..

HOWEVER...

During my research of what I was going to buy I did a lot of reading. The mobil GFX products are TOTALLY misleading...did a lot of learning.

I find anything above the GTX 560M or 6850M to be pretty much useless for desktop replacements. Just use a desktop GPU on it. Heck, an external GPU is even better.

Obviously the naming conventions are quite dubious, but it was actually a lot worse a couple years ago.

The 6990M, an underclocked 6870 I guess, is actually pretty impressive. 23 fps isn't much to brag about on BF3 with full everything, but if you drop the AA and Vsync, you've got a notebook that can play BF3 ultra @ 1080p. :eek:

If I could find a GTX 560M, I could turn my Asus G73SW-XR1 into a G74SX-XR1...alas, either my Google Fu is bad or there isn't a place to just get the mobile GPU. Hell, I can get a "better" CPU from NewEgg for this laptop, but why not the GPU?

Back