NVIDIA Asking GeForce Owners To Send Cards In For Examination

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this post in the NVIDIA tech support forums, the company has been able to reproduce (and fix) some of the BF3 and Windows Media Center bugs players have been experiencing but they are asking customers with TDR issues to send their cards to the company for examination.

I want to give everyone a quick update on some of the bugs mentioned in this thread:

1. Battlefield 3 bugs - So far we have been able to reproduce the major Battlefield 3 issues and have marked this as must fix for the upcoming driver in November.
  2. Video Playback issue in Windows Media Center/Movie Maker/Media Player - This issue has been fixed and will definitively be included in the next driver release in November
  3. R280.xx or later Firefox/IE9 TDR issue - We have ordered some of the retail graphics cards that have been mentioned in these threads to resolve this issue. However it would be of great help to us if anyone who is facing this problem can send us their graphics card to diagnose internally at our Santa Clara office since the cards we have been tested so far do not seem to show the TDR issues end users are reporting in this forum. We can pay for shipping both ways and I can probably get some free game codes to offer you for your time. Please PM if you would be willing to do so. You must be in the USA however since international shipping can complicate things.

What is the TDR issue?

I get texture flicker in BF3 (usually the scrub/bushes) and I get green/blue screen strobe/flashing effects.

i know TDR as time domain reflectrometry :D but not sure for vid cards lol

i know TDR as time domain reflectrometry :D but not sure for vid cards lol

Timeout detection and recovery. In the kernel, we give each packet sent to the card a certain amount of time for packet completion. If the packet exceeds its quanta, the usermode portion of the driver is unloaded and reloaded. On your desktop you'll see the "driver stopped responding and was restarted" message.

I had the problem with windows media center not playing videos correctly, had to roll back my drivers.

Been having issue #3 about twice a day on my Galaxy GTX460 card, last two/three driver releases. Annoying as hell.

More likely because they want to see the real world production problems the people licensing their product are having.

I just upgraded to the 285.62s on my Asus 460 1GB TOP, and I lost the video on my clear QAM digital cable tuner card, I get audio but no video. But all my .avi and .mkv files still work.

I get TDR's only when my card is overclocked. Factory overclocked that is. If I drop my card back to reference levels the TDR's go away.

oye... almost sounds like a hardware problem. Sounds like their (nvidia's) approved specs on the BOM components might not have been stringent enough? That or an AIB partner went out of spec? Either case does not sound good at all.

All this is speculation, but I was just wondering why they would need to go outside their labs to replicate a problem.

I get this all the time haha, it's actually been starting to get on my nerves. Not sure if I'd want to ship my 570's all the way there, though. Would be too big of a hassle, plus I have a P67 board so no cards = no computer.

I get this all the time haha, it's actually been starting to get on my nerves. Not sure if I'd want to ship my 570's all the way there, though. Would be too big of a hassle, plus I have a P67 board so no cards = no computer.

Cant you just ship one? Or less theres some hardware fix they are applying, don't see the point in shipping both. Either way, you can always ship one at a time.

I think my friends card from Gigabyte has the TDR issue. It got replaced with advanced RMA and got a different model back. I had a hard time believe gigabyte ran out of stock GTX460 768mbs, perhaps they are doing a slow/silent recall?

1. I haven't had TDR issue with my EVGA card so far
2. I had problem playing youtube video (sound an video not in sync) when using the beta driver during the beta test.
3. I do have problem game exiting to the desktop and I lose mouse control. Only way out is to force closing the game.

I've had a few of these issues on my GTX 580's. Though the main issue is that they keep dying on me.

This is just to address the TDR issue that's shown up in the last two drivers. If your card has always done it (i.e. since before 280.xx drivers) then your issue is unrelated.

It isn't only on Nvidia.

On AMD it is also very common, and so far the fix i found was to set your card's ram to 3d speeds at all time, as it is the speed up//speed down of the power saving modes of the ram that which creates it, on AMD at least.

Those are the nvcpl.dll and atimdag.dll errors.

Wow thats not good, Im glad i got my stuttering Issues resolved. I had to turn off Hyperthreading.

I had one of these a couple days ago on my 560 TI (Win 7 64 bit). I clicked on something in Firefox and entered an endless loop of the driver not responding/recovering/not responding again. Finally had to reboot as the desktop eventually went unresponsive.

I would have to check my driver version but that was the first one I'd seen in the couple months or so I've had my rig together, playing a variety of games and doing the normal desktop activities. Hopefully I don't end up with a regular routine of a couple of these errors a day like I've seen some other people mention.

I had one of these a couple days ago on my 560 TI (Win 7 64 bit). I clicked on something in Firefox and entered an endless loop of the driver not responding/recovering/not responding again. Finally had to reboot as the desktop eventually went unresponsive.

I would have to check my driver version but that was the first one I'd seen in the couple months or so I've had my rig together, playing a variety of games and doing the normal desktop activities. Hopefully I don't end up with a regular routine of a couple of these errors a day like I've seen some other people mention.

Turn off hardware accelerated anything on firefox.

And if there is any way with nvidia as i do and recommend with amd, set your vram speed constantly to 3d speed.

If this happens you'll eventually bugcheck with an unrecoverable TDR. Surprised you were able to see it enough prior to it forcibly rebooting, usually that happens faster than you can reboot it yourself.

Wow thats not good, Im glad i got my stuttering Issues resolved. I had to turn off Hyperthreading.

I had the same issue. Once I turned off HT in the bios, my game ran smoothly.

Anyone have an idea wtf is up with this?

Been having issue #3 about twice a day on my Galaxy GTX460 card, last two/three driver releases. Annoying as hell.

To say the least!!!! I have been going nuts trying to figure out the issue..... I always suspected it was the nVidia drivers but could never find any info about it.

I used to have TDR issues in ArmA2 all the fucking time with my GTX 280 SLI setup. Since some of the latest beta patches it's been better, but also since getting my GTX 570 SLI setup I haven't had a single issue. Also note that overclocking my GTX 280s, while they were totally stable in ANY other game, would cause driver crashes more frequently in ArmA2. So I thought for a long time it was the game itself, but it sounds like nVidia might be at least partially to blame.

I had the same issue. Once I turned off HT in the bios, my game ran smoothly.

Anyone have an idea wtf is up with this?

Faulty CPU?

Back in the day, I encountered quite a few P4 chips that would not even run Windows with HT enabled.

I've seen a lot of people talk of turning off HT with this game. I'm I making this up or does it seem right? What's going on here if I've not missed it?

It's happened to me several times on my EVGA gtx 460 1gb. It only occurs on drivers later than 275.33. The 275.33 drivers are fine. I never had this issue, overclocking or not with the 275.33 or earlier.

I had this TDR issue with the beta drivers for BF3 and the current 285.62 drivers. It usually occurs while doing desktop/internet stuff. It has not happened while playing BF3 or other games.

I wish I could send my card in to help however, I don't have a replacement.

Hope this helps.

EVGA GTX 460 gddr5 1024mb (Revision A1)
Bios version 70.04.13.00.70
GPU Clock 763MHz, Memory 950MHz, Shader 1526MHz
Driver 8.17.12.8562(Forceware 285.62)/ Win7 64
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130571

If you want to fix this issue with Firefox....besides turning off "Power management to adaptive",also go to the profiles section,like you do for games,and you'll find Firefox in there. Turn on maximum performance for Firefox there as well or it'll still happen.

Doing this has made it happen very rarely now.

I've had the TDR issue both with my last card and my current card (GTX460 and GTX580). Both times extra voltage helped. Haven't had a TDR (knock on wood) since I upped the voltage.

have had the issue with only the last 2 driver releases(beta and then this current WHQL). Running a Gigabyte GTX460 SOC. Getting the TDR's at random. You can just get to desktop after turning on PC, just browsing, or even sitting idle. Occurs at any given moment. I could send my card in, but i dont have a backup to use to still game on. If they offered up a "loaner" card to play with while they test this, i'd do it.

same crap here...evga gtx560ti crysis2 maximum edition 900/1800/4212
i turned off adaptive power management and didnt have any timeout recoveries for over a month. i switched drivers to the 285.69 beta's with a modded inf abd left adaptive power on and havent had one for about 24hrs. dont know if they fixed it but all seems well.

i mostly got it while firefox is open and playing flash, with or without acceleration.

i hope its fixed.

Of course us Canadians get shafted.

Yes that is why they should have an nvidia company here in Canada and be able to serve us. People all over the world buy these products and we should all be treated fairly.

I have a GTX9800 and I did not encounted any TDR issues.

It's happened to me several times on my EVGA gtx 460 1gb. It only occurs on drivers later than 275.33. The 275.33 drivers are fine. I never had this issue, overclocking or not with the 275.33 or earlier.

I had this TDR issue with the beta drivers for BF3 and the current 285.62 drivers. It usually occurs while doing desktop/internet stuff. It has not happened while playing BF3 or other games.

This is my experience almost to the letter. I'm running an MSI GTX 460 1GB and it only started with the drivers released just before the BF3 beta. No issues previously - I also installed the new drivers on a fresh Win7 x64 build.

As I was researching this problem last night (due to being fed up with it happening all of the time surfing the web), I found a post stating that changing the PhysX mgmt from auto to GPU worked for them so I changed that and haven't had it happen yet. We'll see though.

Hopefully Nvidia can get this fixed ASAP

Good to hear the BF3 specific issues are being addressed, anyone see if they've directly acknowledged the artifacting issue that's hitting a bunch of the 460/560 cards?

Back