Which of these "CD Key Sites" Are Legit

XAuTomaT1CX

Weaksauce
This is my final final list, I call it version 2.0 because it sounds classy, anyway I cleaned up the post since my formatting has improved in the 9 months since I Op'd so as of April 20th 2012, I won't be revisting this so do some research if a new store enters the market even though you might as well stick we've these as some of these are loyal stores that have been around for a long time, there's also quite a few sites that I removed from the post at the beginning that were obvious fakes so bare in mind that there is hundreds of these cd key sites out there, and I've removed some from the originally said legit ones, because I don't feel that they are worth the trouble or risk, anyway I hope my obsessive compulsiveness saved you from being ripped off,
Important NOTES
#1 - from experience, it’s probably better to just Wait for a Steam Sale or do that other thing that we won't talk about on hard forum, anyway the price isn't worth the problems, unless it’s a 50-60$ Multiplayer game than I would consider it, the reason why the problem is with these sites is that keys come from russia, so you have to do some extra to get the game to work: first it requires some settings changes and russian vpn if u activate on steam or orgin and a and even then u run into the risk of having game updates break and or breaking the game all together and language setting problems, You can get the game revoked if caught and worse banned (MW2) but really highly unlikely and there has been noticable problems arise (MW3/BF3/Skyrim Launches).
#2 - There tends to be alot of hypochondriacs who think every cd key site is a scam and there are just plain scumbags who post fake reviews and post recommendations on forums like this one, there might even be some in here. I wanted to get this through your head, never believe anything you read on the internet right away without making a thought out decision.

Sites That Are Legit and I've Used
CD Keys Here - alot of facebook followers and positive reviews but has a negative wot rating
Int-Keys - (They Have Price Match)
Keys 4 Me
Off Gamers
Ultimatum Game Keys

Sites That Are Up In the Air
CD-Diski - (this one is tedious and not worth the risk it was recommended by dangerdog, you have to use a currency convertor and language changer and deal with some other minor annoyances just to save 5-8 dollars
CD Key House .
CD Keys Discount - this one looks legit and has been recommended so much that I have to include it, but it appears they can't fill there own demand because every-time I check there out of keys, I would just purchase from intkeys since they will pricematch this site and any other legit one
CJS CD-Keys - They can be slow (1-3 Days), but if your patient it's a good store apparently
Direct Game-Keys - they sell stolen cd keys for a few dollars cheaper and have alot of bad reviews. not worth the risk and loss of integrity to save 3-4 dollars
Ezykey
Gamer Keys(dot)net - when i tried to add this site it was blocked by hard forum admins, but i've used it since than to buy Battlefield 3 and I got the product, I'm just a dude on the internet or chick haha, u will never know so make a thought out decision before you take any advice on this site. anyway, I would side with the hard forum admins if i were u because logistically there probably right from a third person perspective, but once again think before u spend your money
Plati - Because it's Russian they mostly use "Webmoney" which is their version of Paypal but the two don't talk to each other, it's difficult and expensive to transfer money from USD Paypal into Webmoney.

Final Note
allkeyshop looks like the hub now for cd key store reviews also appears to be a price aggregator as well

Last edited:
I've used Ultimatum before, they're legit. Haven't used any of the others on your list.

None of them... they pretty much all sell grey market keys, whose legitimacy depends on how you look at it.

am I blind? where is the [h]otdeal?

All posts should include the item and price in the title/subject line and a link to the item in the body of the thread.

Moved the thread to discussions.

I use cdkeysdiscount.com. Their rating on trustpilot is flawless. And I've bought 3 games from them and got the keys within minutes.

And for this whole debate going on about the "grey keys," well, it technically is illegal. But Steam isn't banning any of the thousands of people that are buying these keys. The last time they ever banned accounts was 2-3 years ago for Modern Warfare 2.

But there's no need for a debate. Either you risk your account and buy these keys, or you pay full retail price. It's your own choice. No reason to get angry or pissed off...

I used cjs-cdkeys they are a bit slow at getting your keys so don't expect to have your cdkeys in minutes. Sometimes it takes them a day or two other times a few hours.
I picked Dead Island RU (used my VPN to active it via steam zero problems). BF3 Russia Extended Edition (same as BF3 LE) works fine came with the DLC as well. One small problem is that it didn't came with the BF3 Physical Warfare Pack. I can't verify this since I actually had BF3 pre-order via Origin months ago then cancel it a day before it was release to pick the cheaper copy via cjs-cdkeys. Origin still ended up sending the warfare pack cd-key regardless (I guess their system hadn't catch up to my cancellation).
But they're legit just don't expect your keys within minutes/hours.

I use cdkeysdiscount.com. Their rating on trustpilot is flawless. And I've bought 3 games from them and got the keys within minutes.

And for this whole debate going on about the "grey keys," well, it technically is illegal. But Steam isn't banning any of the thousands of people that are buying these keys. The last time they ever banned accounts was 2-3 years ago for Modern Warfare 2.

But there's no need for a debate. Either you risk your account and buy these keys, or you pay full retail price. It's your own choice. No reason to get angry or pissed off...

Wait, they banned whole accounts for one CD key of questionable legality? I was looking at getting MW3 off one of these sites, but I have over 100 games on my Steam account, I'm not putting that fucking thing on my Steam account if it can get the whole thing banned.

Wait, they banned whole accounts for one CD key of questionable legality? I was looking at getting MW3 off one of these sites, but I have over 100 games on my Steam account, I'm not putting that fucking thing on my Steam account if it can get the whole thing banned.

they did years ago i don't even think they care now but you should be aware of potential problems. I owned around 400 games or so have bought only 3 games via cdkey sites :rolleyes:

Last edited:
None of them... they pretty much all sell grey market keys, whose legitimacy depends on how you look at it.

Grey market keys are stolen keys. I use cdkeydiscounts which sells retail copy keys which is not illegal.

I purchased my CD key from http://www.cdkeysdirect.com and everything went better than expected, had the game in under an two hours (counting the install and language conversion)

I got my cdkey from there also for bf3. My brother also ordered it from there and he received his also. Both keys work great. Converted it to english with the files. Been playing all day. :)

Their facebook shows updates on orders and all that. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cdkeysdirect-fan-page

Last edited:

Well they only did it once to a very small handful of people. They never did so again. Thousands of people are buying keys at half retail price and no one's getting banned.

So it's your pick. Also, I use cdkeysdiscount.com because their keys aren't stolen.
Either they get them from graphics card vouchers, or retail boxes from other countries (apparently everything is cheaper in Russia).
But apparently, these are also considered "grey market" in the Steam EULA. So just because they aren't stolen doesn't mean that it's completely legal.

they did years ago i don't even think they care now but you should be aware of potential problems. I owned around 400 games or so have bought only 3 games via cdkey sites :rolleyes:

They removed the games from people's accounts. I haven't heard of one person banned due to that. They didn't even ban people that stole Dirt 3 keys when they got leaked.

Well they only did it once to a very small handful of people. They never did so again. Thousands of people are buying keys at half retail price and no one's getting banned.

So it's your pick. Also, I use cdkeysdiscount.com because their keys aren't stolen.
Either they get them from graphics card vouchers, or retail boxes from other countries (apparently everything is cheaper in Russia).
But apparently, these are also considered "grey market" in the Steam EULA. So just because they aren't stolen doesn't mean that it's completely legal.

They're called grey market because the legality on them is grey.

ive used offgamers for guild wars cd keys. they were based in some poor eastern european country, and were profiting off of the significant exchange rate difference between america and eastern europe.

and then i eventually bought the game on steam, was given an additional key, but i just used my pre exisiting guild wars account coupled with the steam on demand service solely should it would show up in my steam game list.

I bought witcher 2 from intkeys ($18)and activated on steam no problem. they even emailed me a photo of the jewel case with the cd key on it. doesn't get more legit than that.

I've used cjs-cdkeys and have never had problems with them. Same with offgamers(bought some wow and sc2 stuff from them). One you don't have listed up there but is also legit is onlinekeystore.com

You know, guys, once-upon-a-time "Grey Market" wasn't the perjorative term in which you all are using it. (illegal) It *used to be* "grey market" meant when a retailer would order a product in HUGE VOLUME to get a super discounted price, keep the copies he wanted (and for which he'd paid a handsomely-discounted price) and "back-door" all the xtra copies he'd ordered to get the large discount. AFAIK it was never illegal, just frowned upon.

It seems to me if you are that fearful about your present Steam account, the simple answer is don't use it. There is no limit on how many accounts you can have, so just open a new Steam account for this key.

People toss about the term "legal" when referring to cd keys?

These are not criminal issues they are civil issues. "Validity" is more like it.

I've bought through ultimatum, they are good. Great, friendly customer service.

This thread should be stickied, honestly....

people are always skeptical, or weary of these OVERSEAS (never in the USA) cdkey places... rightfully so, because at least half of them look pretty sketchy.

Just use your credit card for the purchases so you are protected against fraud (depending on which card YOU use), and make sure nothing weird pops up on your statements......

But yeah, a sticky thread would be awesome and would bring more people here (who buy games) because it promotes the sites that are legit, when people give them good praise after purchasing

What I don't get is if people in OTHER countries are getting these legit keys cheaper (because they live in "poorer countries" supposedly) then why doesn't EA or Origin just make an international download shop just like them, and sell at the same prices to everyone so they make the most bank?

Does anyone know how these sites actually get their products? :eek:

Most of these sites buy keys in cheaper markets and sell them for profit to US customers. While not being illegal in most cases (some sites sell stolen keys) it almost certainly violates the EULA for Steam, other download clients, or the game itself. Chances are that if you buy from a site that others have bought from with success that you will also have success. But, there is also the chance that a developer or distributor will force Steam or another client to ban keys for US clients that were purchased outside of the US. The chances of this happening are probably very small, but as these sites get more popular they are certainly going to draw the eye of the large distributors.

What I don't get is if people in OTHER countries are getting these legit keys cheaper (because they live in "poorer countries" supposedly) then why doesn't EA or Origin just make an international download shop just like them, and sell at the same prices to everyone so they make the most bank?

Does anyone know how these sites actually get their products? :eek:

local distribution. duh.
http://www.ea.com/ru/1/shops

Most of these sites buy keys in cheaper markets and sell them for profit to US customers. While not being illegal in most cases (some sites sell stolen keys) it almost certainly violates the EULA for Steam, other download clients, or the game itself. Chances are that if you buy from a site that others have bought from with success that you will also have success. But, there is also the chance that a developer or distributor will force Steam or another client to ban keys for US clients that were purchased outside of the US. The chances of this happening are probably very small, but as these sites get more popular they are certainly going to draw the eye of the large distributors.

nonsense.
see above post. you are just buying their local copy. EA distributes worldwide.
You think Russia/Spain doesn't have a Walmart/Best buy equivalent? Hahaha

So Russia, with one of the most WEALTHIEST cities in the entire earth.... gets their games @ 1/3 the cost of Americans? That is NOT fair.

599 Russian rubles for BF3 on one of those sites (thanks by the way for that!) = JUST 20.151558 U.S. dollars :eek:

Appreciate the info Leviathan!

nonsense.
see above post. you are just buying their local copy. EA distributes worldwide.
You think Russia/Spain doesn't have a Walmart/Best buy equivalent? Hahaha
Their local copy is licensed for their region, even if the game is region free the codes are still region specific and distributors know where the codes are sold first. I'm sure Russia and Spain have large distributors both brick & mortar and online, but that doesn't change the fact that codes sold to a specific region are not supposed to be resold to another region.

Their local copy is licensed for their region, even if the game is region free the codes are still region specific and distributors know where the codes are sold first. I'm sure Russia and Spain have large distributors both brick & mortar and online, but that doesn't change the fact that codes sold to a specific region are not supposed to be resold to another region.

Yeah, but what are they going to do? Sift through all the accounts and see who is playing where?

for example, I found BF3: LE for $35 at an OFFICIAL origin-backed russian cdkey website, but I'm in America. The site shows American dollars and NUMEROUS other country monies in the drop down list..... and this is like one of the most popula russian cdkey sites, thats even displayed on the EA website as an official seller. So EA has surely seen their website layout (much better than any gamer American websites, I might add)

I mean, what if I travel around the globe as well? How can they ban everyone who didn't know their copy of the game would be banned at a later date?

I mean, there is so many bad things about that I could bring up, I just dont see it happening :D

Yeah, but what are they going to do? Sift through all the accounts and see who is playing where?

for example, I found BF3: LE for $35 at an OFFICIAL origin-backed russian cdkey website, but I'm in America. The site shows American dollars and NUMEROUS other country monies in the drop down list..... and this is like one of the most popula russian cdkey sites, thats even displayed on the EA website as an official seller. So EA has surely seen their website layout (much better than any gamer American websites, I might add)

I mean, what if I travel around the globe as well? How can they ban everyone who didn't know their copy of the game would be banned at a later date?

I mean, there is so many bad things about that I could bring up, I just dont see it happening :D
Well considering that when you go online Steam, Origin, or any other client is aware of your physical location, if it compares your location with the game codes in your library it could easily ban them. It happened with MW2 is the end to all the discussion about how they could do it and if it can happen.

But then what if I travel and game in any country I travel to? There's thousands of people that do this with their laptops, and use hotel internet all over the globe.

Or, what if I just moved from Russia to the US for example?

That's just 2 legit reasons to not get banned.... Im sure theres more one could think of

I have an extra BF3 English key I need to get rid of for some cash, if anyone doesn't want to risk anything with those Russian websites ;).

I've purchased a couple of games from http://www.cddiski.ru/

If you want to cut out the "middle man" from these CD-Key outlet places, you'll need to make use of google translator but it's not that difficult to navigate through the site.

They accept US Visa and Mastercard, you do need to check with your card company to find out if there are currency conversion charges, in my case it's .99 flat fee.

You have to use a VPN to register the keys, but once that's completed you just disconnect from the VPN and reconnect to Steam and download the game.

Now the main downfall of this is that I've read that DLC may not work with your copy of the game due to having a RU version of the game and trying to use DLC from your region. Supposedly this has happened to people trying to buy Deus EX DLC for their Russian version of the game.

But then what if I travel and game in any country I travel to? There's thousands of people that do this with their laptops, and use hotel internet all over the globe.

Or, what if I just moved from Russia to the US for example?

That's just 2 legit reasons to not get banned.... Im sure theres more one could think of

Valve does not and has never banned accounts for doing this. At Activision's demand they banned Modern Warfare 2 keys that originated from non-US countries from working on US Steam accounts. Those that had those keys on their accounts had the games removed. After that someone from Valve made a post on the official forums about grey market keys warning people about them. I would expect the same to happen with MW3.

I've purchased a couple of games from http://www.cddiski.ru/

If you want to cut out the "middle man" from these CD-Key outlet places, you'll need to make use of google translator but it's not that difficult to navigate through the site.

They accept US Visa and Mastercard, you do need to check with your card company to find out if there are currency conversion charges, in my case it's .99 flat fee.

You have to use a VPN to register the keys, but once that's completed you just disconnect from the VPN and reconnect to Steam and download the game.

Now the main downfall of this is that I've read that DLC may not work with your copy of the game due to having a RU version of the game and trying to use DLC from your region. Supposedly this has happened to people trying to buy Deus EX DLC for their Russian version of the game.

thanks for the link nice prices might pick a few games during the christmas sale if Steam can't match the prices :p

Back