Can you quick save in Far Cry 1 & 2?

Prozac1964

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to find out if you can quick save your game in Far Cry 1 and/or Far Cry 2 single player? I'm asking because a couple of years ago I was playing the original Far Cry and I got about half way through the game - to a very difficult spot that I couldn't beat. But I didn't know how to quick save so my progress got lost when I would get killed.:rolleyes: I became so frustrated that I just quit the game. It was very fun up until then. I'm thinking about getting Far Cry 2 but only if it has some sort of quick save function, so that I can save game in the middle of hard fights. :eek::mad:

Thanks for any help you can offer, Prozac :)

I know you can in FarCry. I can't recall if you can in FarCry 2, though.

You definitely can in FC2, it's either F5 or F6. F8 or F9 is quick load.

Man....I just couldn't find the quick save in Far Cry for anything. Do you remember which key it is? :confused:

You definitely can in FC2, it's either F5 or F6. F8 or F9 is quick load.

Awesome on the FC2 quick save...that makes me want to get it now. :)

Thank you both for your help...much appreciated. :)

If I may...ask this semi related question: which of the following games would you pick if you were only going to play the single player campaign: Far Cry 2, Metro 2033 or Singularity? :)

Pardon the mini-hijack there. :D Oh, and thanks jiminator for your reply as well? :)

I'd get/got them all.
FC2 is beautiful and has the most "content" of them all. There are some annoyances in that the maps are too big and require too much travel
Metro 2033 is cool, has somewhat of a stalker vibe but is fairly linear, also don't like the shooting in the game
Singularity has some interesting weapons and concepts and is fun to play

I'd get/got them all.
FC2 is beautiful and has the most "content" of them all. There are some annoyances in that the maps are too big and require too much travel
Metro 2033 is cool, has somewhat of a stalker vibe but is fairly linear, also don't like the shooting in the game
Singularity has some interesting weapons and concepts and is fun to play

Cool...I think I start with Far Cry 2, since you guys helped me see that there was a save key and then play the other two next. :D

There is no hotkey for quicksaving in Farcry. But you can bring the console down and type save_game "name" as I recall.

If I had the choice of playing FarCry 2 again or stabbing myself in the hand with a fork I'd choose the fork.

Dont bother with the guns after you get maybe an AK. Don't do side missions. You're not missing anything. The game is 90% padding. Even the main story is padded out. No it doesn't matter which missions you do everything ends up the same way. You'll be doing the same 3 missions over and over for the entire game.

there is no quick save in the first Far Cry. you have to open the console and save it from there or you are stuck with auto save checkpoints only. its ironic how many people blame consoles for lack of quick saves yet one of the most popular pc only games ever had none.

there is a way of binding a quick save by modding though. scroll down to the last post here. http://www.straferight.com/forums/shooters/19570-far-cry-quick-save.html

I'd get/got them all.

Far Cry 2 is absolutely terrible, broken and empty piece of shit game. It's the worst open-world game to date.

Metro 2033 is one of the best linear-shooters since Half-Life 2, even with its quirks.

there is no quick save in the first Far Cry. you have to open the console and save it from there or you are stuck with auto save checkpoints only. its ironic how many people blame consoles for lack of quick saves yet one of the most popular pc only games ever had none.

there is a way of binding a quick save by modding though. scroll down to the last post here. http://www.straferight.com/forums/shooters/19570-far-cry-quick-save.html

Far Cry started on the PC first but it is certainly not PC-exclusive. There are three or four different console versions.

Far Cry 2 is absolutely terrible, broken and empty piece of shit game. It's the worst open-world game to date.

Metro 2033 is one of the best linear-shooters since Half-Life 2, even with its quirks.

Far Cry started on the PC first but it is certainly not PC-exclusive. There are three or four different console versions.
the original Far Cry was and still is a pc only game.

Pretty strong opinion there Plague! Why would so many people like Far Cry 2 if it's such a shitty game? I appreciate your opinion on Metro 2033 though, because I LOVE Half Life 2, so that tells me you have good taste....but slamming a game that badly on FC2...why? :confused: BTW I just checked 3 major video game ranking sites and they were unanimous in ranking Far Cry 2 at approximately 8.5 while ranking Metro 2033 at approximately 8.0. Something to think about. ;)

Last edited:
For FC2, the graphics are beautiful, some of the best of any game IMO. The main issue people have with the game is that enemies respawn at posts rapidly. You can take long detours around them or you can fight them, and there will usually be 2 or 3 camps to get to anywhere. Even going around them is not safe, often do that and get shot in the back. It is highly annoying and distracting. The driving huge distances is bad, add to it enemies that will run after you until they eventually catch up (no, they never turn back).... Like I said, I enjoyed it overall, but it has some flaws.

The original FarCry in 3D Vision is beautiful guys.

Yeah lol I have it on Steam and was like where's the damn quick save smashing all the F keys...didn't work lolz. I just got better and picked my shots to find the quick saves, it's challenging @ times tho. ;)

Far Cry1 is still one of the best PC games ever made.
GFX
Environments
Guns
Gun mechanics
excellent degree of difficulty
long SP campaign

FC2 has some of the best GFX and environments we've ever seen as well, but that's ALL it has.

FC2's gameplay lets it down. The voice acting is almost comical, the vast majority of missions are fedex, the amount of traveling from one area to the next is excruciating (this is compounded by the automatically respawning NPCs at every damn intersection who have what must be x-ray vision through foliage), and the story is 'meh'.

I was just recently able to approach the game again as when I bought it on release it had a game-breaking mouse lag issue. Doesn't appear to happen on my new build, but unfortunately now that the mouse lag is gone I see the crappy game underneath.

My favorite part about the game is the IDEA of the open world, and the fire. In practice neither impresses much. I'm still not sure why reviewers were so hot on it, PCGamer gave it a 94 if I remember correctly.

Far Cry1 is still one of the best PC games ever made.
long SP campaign

Long SP campaign, a large proportion of which wasn't very good. After "Treehouse" it rapidly went downhill with only occasional flashes of brilliance, and the last few levels were entirely shit.

I liked FC2 a lot, and I definitely don't consider it to be some sort of crime against humanity like some people. I acknowledge its many flaws, but I also had a lot of fun with it. It dared to try something a bit different with the open-world design, something which doesn't appeal to the ubiquitous FPS pseuds who just want to "beat" games as quickly as possible and who only really care about MP. At least FC2 didn't have QTEs.

Oh, and boats were much more efficient for covering large distances (not to mention the busses).

FC2's gameplay lets it down. The voice acting is almost comical, the vast majority of missions are fedex, the amount of traveling from one area to the next is excruciating (this is compounded by the automatically respawning NPCs at every damn intersection who have what must be x-ray vision through foliage), and the story is 'meh'.

I was just recently able to approach the game again as when I bought it on release it had a game-breaking mouse lag issue. Doesn't appear to happen on my new build, but unfortunately now that the mouse lag is gone I see the crappy game underneath.

My favorite part about the game is the IDEA of the open world, and the fire. In practice neither impresses much. I'm still not sure why reviewers were so hot on it, PCGamer gave it a 94 if I remember correctly.
I agree with you. The game looks like it will be a lot of fun, but once you dive in, it's just tedious, and the story isn't good enough to drive you through all of the NPC clearing, weapon jamming, and vehicle fixing that happens pretty much incessantly.

If there was a mod to remove weapons and vehicles breaking all of the time, the game might actually be fun to play.

Pretty strong opinion there Plague! Why would so many people like Far Cry 2 if it's such a shitty game? I appreciate your opinion on Metro 2033 though, because I LOVE Half Life 2, so that tells me you have good taste....but slamming a game that badly on FC2...why? :confused: BTW I just checked 3 major video game ranking sites and they were unanimous in ranking Far Cry 2 at approximately 8.5 while ranking Metro 2033 at approximately 8.0. Something to think about. ;)

FarCry 2's reviews were purchased. Notice the metacritic user score is a 5.5/10.

FarCry 2 has nothing to due with the original and the gameplay is completely different. Apparently like another awful game Bioshock 2 it was farmed out to some other Studio. So if you're looking for a linear path forget it.

The painful part is that the gameplay on Far Cry 2 is actually fun and the story could have been interesting. The game is still pretty. The problem is the story never goes any where and theres something like 45 required missions and 100 side missions. Regardless of what you decide to do its the same 3 missions for literally the entire game and none of the choices you make affect the game in anyway. Its fun for about the first hour. Then it's like a job. A shitty one that goes on forever.

I liked FarCry 1 all the way through. It's inconsistent but fun.
Crysis is fun for most of the game, but the last hour or so the engine grinds to a halt. The final Boss fight crashed on me a number of times. Somebody said theres a fix. I liked WarHead better.

Far Cry 2 has a fatal bug that will corrupt your save files and require you to go back to an unaffected save or restart altogether. In classic Ubishit form, it was never fixed.

The other problems with the game are all to due with the design. Enemies and roadblocks respawn as soon as you leave them, you cannot pursue multiple missions/quests, extremely repetitive missions, an unrealistic and just plain inconvenient weapon degradation mechanic, long-winded and unskippable cutscenes, a woeful fast-travel system, constantly having to drop everything and treat your own case of malaria...the list goes on.

Far Cry 2 has a fatal bug that will corrupt your save files and require you to go back to an unaffected save or restart altogether. In classic Ubishit form, it was never fixed.

The other problems with the game are all to due with the design. Enemies and roadblocks respawn as soon as you leave them, you cannot pursue multiple missions/quests, extremely repetitive missions, an unrealistic and just plain inconvenient weapon degradation mechanic, long-winded and unskippable cutscenes, a woeful fast-travel system, constantly having to drop everything and treat your own case of malaria...the list goes on.
I don't remember having any save issues. only aggravating technical issue I had was one of my side missions would always show up again even though I completed it. everything else you said I agree with though.

Long SP campaign, a large proportion of which wasn't very good. After "Treehouse" it rapidly went downhill with only occasional flashes of brilliance, and the last few levels were entirely shit.

Just your opinion:D
FC2 had the potential to be one of the great FPS, instead it became a tedious turd.

They needed to tweak some shit. Just making the camps not respawn would have been enough.

Back