Cities XL 2011 Language

punkmanmatthew

Limp Gawd
I just purchased Cities XL 2011 and I live in China right now. The game is all in Chinese and I don't think there is a language choosing option when I install the game. When I install the game it's in some really strange language that I cannot read. When I play the game it's all in Chinese. Does anyone know if there is a way to make the game English. I've looked online a lot and cannot find anything that works or really find anything. I tried some kind of regedit trick to make it English but that did not work. If anyone knows what to do I will kiss you. Actually only if you are a very pretty girl.

Thanks,
Matt

let me look at see if maybe theres an english language pack in my install folder for the game.

ok i think i found it..

go into your focus home internactive/cities XL 2011/data/localization folder. you should see a bunch of folders.. DE EN ES FR IT and a bunch more..

check and see if you see the EN folder, open it there should be 1 file in it.

next back out of that folder and go back to the data folder, then go to the config folder and open the globalsettings.cfg file with notepad.

at the top you should see something that looks like this..

heres the important part of my global config file.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<StartingState>SPACEVIEW</StartingState>
<StartingScreen>S_INTROVIDEO</StartingScreen>

<Localization_CSMS>
  <Language>en</Language>
  <AsianFonts>1</AsianFonts>
  <FontHead>Comic Sans MS</FontHead>
  <FontBody>Comic Sans MS</FontBody>
  <FontAux>Comic Sans MS</FontAux>
  <FontDecor>Comic Sans MS</FontDecor>
  <FontLib>gfxfontlib_en.gfx</FontLib>
</Localization_CSMS>

<Localization>
  <Language>en</Language>
  <FontHead>Arial</FontHead>
  <FontBody>Arial</FontBody>
  <FontAux>Arial</FontAux>
  <FontDecor>Arial</FontDecor>
</Localization>

<Localization_JAP>
  <Language>jp</Language>
  <FontHead>Arial Unicode MS</FontHead>
  <FontBody>Arial Unicode MS</FontBody>
  <FontAux>Arial Unicode MS</FontAux>
  <FontDecor>Arial Unicode MS</FontDecor>
</Localization_JAP>

its at the very beginning of the cfg file so it shouldn't be hard to miss.

hopefully this works for you.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks that would help me out a lot. I have tried to search for that online but they seemed to be viruses or something. If you could find one that would be great. I'm sure you are better at searching than me.

the funny thing is in that config file i just noticed those 2 files don't even exist in my 2011 folder but they do in my 2012 folder. oh well they are the exact same game with a new price tag anyways.

My config file looks exactly the same. I tried playing around with it before but nothing works. The one thing is is that I do not have the localization folder in my data folder. It doesn't exist. Probably cause I bought the game in China. Do you know how I could obtain the Localization folder?

I think steam detected the region you were connecting from and downloaded the Chinese language supported version. Maybe you could re download from a US server or contact Steam support to see if they can work something out.

I'm not sure if the game over lays the language options and lets you change them or if you will have to completely reinstall it. I have not taken a look to deep, just loaded and played O_O

My config file looks exactly the same. I tried playing around with it before but nothing works. The one thing is is that I do not have the localization folder in my data folder. It doesn't exist. Probably cause I bought the game in China. Do you know how I could obtain the Localization folder?

if you need it i can rar up the files and upload them some where for you. i'll even add the fonts folder it requests that are in my cities XL 2012 folder and see if that helps as well. just let me know either in here or by pm.

Yeah if you could upload the files to me or send them to me somehow then that would be great! Then I will see if those will work.
Thank you

Do you have the En file in the data folder you were talking about or is it not there?

I actually don't have the Localization folder in my data folder. Do you have that folder with
the en file?

Thanks

Not to jack the thread but is this game worth checking out for someone that hankers desperately for Sim City 5?

I've gotten SC4 working but it's still quite unstable and performance is ludicrously bad. Would the latest Cities XL game be worth looking at?

Do you have the En file in the data folder you were talking about or is it not there?

I actually don't have the Localization folder in my data folder. Do you have that folder with
the en file?

Thanks

everything i had was in that rar file. the cities XL 2011 never had the files in the EN folder like the 2012 version did which is why i sent those files as well in case when i installed 2012 it moved the files over to the new version.

Not to jack the thread but is this game worth checking out for someone that hankers desperately for Sim City 5?

I've gotten SC4 working but it's still quite unstable and performance is ludicrously bad. Would the latest Cities XL game be worth looking at?

the performance sucks in SC4 because its an openGL game. its also very cpu limited as well. though fermi cards seem to exaggerated the problem even more. theres nothing you can really do to fix it except deal with the lag..

cities XL while its a great game its not SC4 and never will be. also quite frankly unless the games in the dollar bin i wouldn't buy it.. every version of cities XL is exactly the same. they have never updated the game play and they never will. its purely a money grab title. if people thought activisions bs with COD was bad, focus home interactive is far worse when it comes to cities XL.

Last edited:

I would like to know this as well.

No.
The Cities series from Focus Home Interactive, is trash.

What you want is Cities: Skylines from Paradox Interactive.

Similar names, but completely different games, from completely different companies. One is the true successor to the failure of Sim City 5, the other is a trash release that is STILL buggy and old.
We have a huge thread on Cities: Skylines.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1830317&highlight=cities+skylines

Back