How Facebook Is Ruining Your Marriage

HardOCP News

[H] News
Facebook is now cited in one in every five divorce cases in the United States? Is it just me or does that sound like someone pulled that statistic out of their ass?

The thrill of being acquainted with old friends can be enough of a turn-on to spark casual conversations. Those personal conversations, between two emotionally available people, can lead to a deepened sense of intimacy which can lead to actual physical contact.

Its a tool for cheating, like the cell phone, and AOL chat rooms of the mid to late 90's.

Have you seen how dumb most facebook users are?

I would believe 1 in 5 are catastrophic retards..
3 of 5

idiots who get into relationships with no understanding or want to be monogamous is what causes this.

Don't get married if you are the type who get's bored, hell don't even have steady girl friends.

Life goes just fine without some "significant" other to break your shit and tell you how to live.

But along with learning who recently ate a burrito for lunch, it turns out that Facebook and other social networking sites are being named as cause for ruining many marriages.
Love those blogs and news nowadays, absolutely skipping the facts. If you cheat on your partner with someone you met through FB, you are guilty not FB = Don't use guns! Guns kill!

idiots who get into relationships with no understanding or want to be monogamous is what causes this.

Don't get married if you are the type who get's bored, hell don't even have steady girl friends.

Life goes just fine without some "significant" other to break your shit and tell you how to live.

exactly, its all about personal responsibility and not doing what you know is wrong for you

that being said, Facebook aint doin shit for me, because i deleted my facebook account a long time ago

Haven't been in any long term relationships have you? Sorry to tell you but most people DO get bored at some point. It's weather or not the people involved still love each other enough to fight through it and come up with ways to keep it exciting.

Anyway, yeah, as much as I don't like FB, it's not the problem, it's the individuals looking for excitement in other places. You could substitute FB with Bars, IRC, AOL, neighborhoods, whatever.

Facebook ruins many things in life, especially labor costs. They say facebook wastes HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF EMPLOYEE LABOR COSTS, all because they sit there fiddling with their phone. This was a NO BS survey and test..... its a complete degenerate thing to do, if you think about it. You're just spying on people outside of your town, instead of wasting your time spying on people IN your town. Get it? Either way, youre still pathetically wasting your life spying on others lives, instead of living your own. I can share pictures and thoughts with family............its called instant chat, cell phones, and EMAIL..... fbook is just nonsense made to sell ads for companies, and sells data off its users' privacy.

" Hey, its free! It MUST be good! "

Haven't been in any long term relationships have you? Sorry to tell you but most people DO get bored at some point. It's weather or not the people involved still love each other enough to fight through it and come up with ways to keep it exciting.

Anyway, yeah, as much as I don't like FB, it's not the problem, it's the individuals looking for excitement in other places. You could substitute FB with Bars, IRC, AOL, neighborhoods, whatever.

I learned they aren't for me, by being in quite a few. I don't even pretend anymore.

if folks don't value monogamy and they get bored, they have no business getting married, or being in a relationship where monogamy is a prerequisite.

Facebook is just the latest thing. Just about any social platform is going to, unsurprisingly, cause additional unacceptable social interactions.

The real story here is that society tells everyone that marriage should be the inevitable endgame of any relationship. Divorces are high because people are getting married who simply aren't the marrying type. Some people just aren't cut out for marriage at all, but social pressures all but force it.

I learned they aren't for me, by being in quite a few. I don't even pretend anymore.

if folks don't value monogamy and they get bored, they have no business getting married, or being in a relationship where monogamy is a prerequisite.

Most get into a relationship not thinking that things will ever change, usually they do....

The marriage was already ruined. Don't blame facebook.

In the 90's were bars the cause of marriage ruination, or did people seek to cheat because they were in a bad relationship?

The 2 happiest couple I know have joint FB accounts. I'm pretty sure neither has secrect ones, either.

Hmmm... If this is true, then I guess me and my girlfriend are going to have an eternal ('till death) monogamous marriage. We both deleted our FB accounts years ago.

Contact leads to chat, chat least to feeling, feelings leads to anger, anger leads to the dark side of the Face.

Contact leads to chat, chat least to feeling, feelings leads to anger, anger leads to the dark side of the Face.
So instead of: "Luke, I am your father", it's: "Luke, I am your first love from high school, 25 years ago on Tatooine".

The institution of marriage needs a fall guy like Facebook...?

Marriage is for those emotionally needy people that didn't "get around" much in high school or college. Marriage is a social accoutrement.

The institution of marriage needs a fall guy like Facebook...?

Marriage is for those emotionally needy people that didn't "get around" much in high school or college. Marriage is a social accoutrement.

Don't knock; it's the only thing keeping you from being a bastard.

Facebook is now cited in one in every five divorce cases in the United States? Is it just me or does that sound like someone pulled that statistic out of their ass?

My belief: Those who created or contributed to that statistic (whether its valid or not) wanted to justify their own failure by finding a culprit to blame it on.

As a whole, marriage is the only way to ensure prolonged existance of the human race. Most all time tested traditions have their reason, even if they are unpopular or not known to many who would otherwise feel they are 'above' it.

Amen.

If someone cheats in a relationship that is supposed to be monogamous its because they are shitty people. Has nothing to do with the tool.

Sorry, I don't spend nearly enough time on Facebook to have it wreck anything, not even my toast! :p

I think one thing that attracts people to start "looking around" is when they run into problems in their marriage. It does not even have to be big problems, but in my opinion, a lot of people have a naive, overly romantic view of what marriage should be like and when real life inevitably falls short, they think the problem is the relationship, or their partner. In other words, people mistake normalcy for pathology.

The thing about Facebook is that 95% of the time, it's everyone putting their very best foot forward or being really guarded about their actual reality while trying to give everyone the impression that their life is a lot more together than it probably is.

Everyone has problems and it's normal to feel like you have more problems or worse problems than everyone else and our culture kind of promotes this.

The danger is in people not recognizing this reality and buying into the fantasy of "all this would be better if only X were different". In this case X is your partner, but it could be anything.

I suppose I should have just gone with "grass is always greener..." and stopped....

Haha Tom Leykis was reporting this years ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was 2/5 or higher. WHoever mentioned Tom Leykis on this forum in a previous thread helped me a lot.

As a whole, marriage is the only way to ensure prolonged existance of the human race. Most all time tested traditions have their reason, even if they are unpopular or not known to many who would otherwise feel they are 'above' it.

So the fact that people are having kids without being married out-weighs those who are doesn't prolong the human existence? :confused:

Shouldn't that last part have an "r" in there? As in "...dark side of the Farce". ;)

On topic... All I know is this: People love to do stupid shit, then they put it up on Facebook. Isn't that part of the attraction of a Facebook account? (Note: I've never had a FB account so I don't know from experience.)

So the fact that people are having kids without being married out-weighs those who are doesn't prolong the human existence? :confused:

I think you can find many studies that show single parent families are less than optimal. Now if you are referring to two parents not married, composing a family, they might as well be married and probably claim the same benefits anyway after some time. Most of those do end up getting married as well.

It's like spare the rod spoil the child is an aged old proven fact, time tested traditions have their reasons for success.

This article is crap. Facebook doesn't ruin your marriage. All it does is bring out the fact that your marriage sucks in the first place.

I like how the people who use facebook try to deny all the bad things about facebook (especially the privacy shit, thats really worrying, but maybe thats just me?)

Over 80 percent of divorce lawyers claim that the rising use of social media has become the catalyst for extramarital affairs.

Here is their article officially: http://www.aaml.org/about-the-acade...surge-social-networking-evidence-says-survey-

Looks pretty legit to me, but the article here, and at this bullshit "mom" website is claiming one thing, but the article explains it as something totally different!

“Going through a divorce always results in heightened levels of personal scrutiny. If you publicly post any contradictions to previously made statements and promises, an estranged spouse will certainly be one of the first people to notice and make use of that evidence,” said Marlene Eskind Moses, president of the AAML. “As everyone continues to share more and more aspects of their lives on social networking sites, they leave themselves open to much greater examinations of both their public and private lives in these sensitive situations.”

So in reality, this entire article should have said "Facebook can ruin your chances of having a successful divorce trial" --- because your ex could see some of your posted "lies" and bring to her lawyer, so contradict things for you, and make you look like a liar.

And the group who did this test is a group based in NY, LA, FL, IL, etc..... far from some small meaningless group, and they are lawyers so they definitely are not COMPLETE idiots.

Its a tool for cheating, like the cell phone, and AOL chat rooms of the mid to late 90's.

Not ANYTHING close to the same. A social profile can give someone COMPLETE ACCESS into your life, if you post freely at will in the public posts.

A cell phone? People looking you up can only get your calls, no personal info

AOL chat room? People can only get your chat name, no personal info

See, not the same .... AT ALL.

Old fk-buddy sees you on FB, messages you, BAM, you're banging again.

Old fk buddy looks for you in the phone book, nothing. On the AOL chatrooms, how can she find you if you use some internet name like coolguy212? She can't. FB, she looks up your name, OHHHH there YOU are. Oh, you're saying you just broke up with your gf? Oh, wow, what a coincidence, she just broke up with her BF too!

And she messages..... this is a much, much EASIER TOOL FOR CHEATING, clearly :D

Not ANYTHING close to the same. A social profile can give someone COMPLETE ACCESS into your life, if you post freely at will in the public posts.

A cell phone? People looking you up can only get your calls, no personal info

AOL chat room? People can only get your chat name, no personal info

See, not the same .... AT ALL.

Old fk-buddy sees you on FB, messages you, BAM, you're banging again.

Old fk buddy looks for you in the phone book, nothing. On the AOL chatrooms, how can she find you if you use some internet name like coolguy212? She can't. FB, she looks up your name, OHHHH there YOU are. Oh, you're saying you just broke up with your gf? Oh, wow, what a coincidence, she just broke up with her BF too!

And she messages..... this is a much, much EASIER TOOL FOR CHEATING, clearly :D

Its all true. But the person who is 'found' still needs to cheat. Its not turning good marriages bad, its just pointing out bad ones easier.

This is complete horseshit. Marriage is a contract and has no positive relationship with the proliferation of the human race. In fact it is a detriment since it legally binds one person to another for purposes of reproduction.

The marriage contract and monogamous relationships are a fairly new concept in most cultures.

Back