GameStop To Offer $500 Android Gaming Tablets

HardOCP News

[H] News
How many people think this is a good idea? Anyone? Hello? Is this thing on?

The devices, which will sell for their typical sticker prices in competing stores, will come with a set of seven free games, including Electronic Arts Inc.'s (ERTS) "Dead Space" sci-fi shooter and "Madden NFL" football game, as well as links to the GameStop's mobile application store, called "Kongregate Arcade," and the Android app marketplace.

The only way it would be a true gaming device (to me) is if it had a gamepad much like the Xperia PLAY.

any WSJ subscriber who wants to paste the rest of the article here?

Should be interesting seeing how they've recruited ASUS and Samsung (and meh, Acer) into the fold.

$500 to play casual games with crappy touch interface? What a great deal!

any WSJ subscriber who wants to paste the rest of the article here?

Not sure why the whole article shows for me (not a subscriber) but:

SAN FRANCISCO (Dow Jones)--Videogame retailer GameStop Corp. (GME) plans to begin selling tablet-style computers as part of an effort to expand its gaming device offerings.

The company plans to begin selling tablets based on Google Inc.'s (GOOG) Android mobile operating system during the holiday season at 200 of its U.S. stores on Friday. GameStop's pilot program will include specialized tablets made by Asustek Computer Inc. (2357.TW), Acer Inc. (2353.TW) and Samsung Electronics Inc. (SSHNY, 005930.SE).

The devices, which will sell for their typical sticker prices in competing stores, will come with a set of seven free games, including Electronic Arts Inc.'s (ERTS) "Dead Space" sci-fi shooter and "Madden NFL" football game, as well as links to the GameStop's mobile application store, called "Kongregate Arcade," and the Android app marketplace.

"Customers have been telling us that they like to game on multiple devices," said J. Paul Raines, GameStop's chief executive. "We believe there is a gaming opportunity on tablets."

Analysts are more skeptical, citing poor sales of Android-based tablets and a dearth of games that have enticed the dedicated gaming audience that GameStop tends to attract. Cost is another factor, said Michael Pachter, an analyst at Wedbush Securities, who added that any asking prices around $400 or $500 will be challenging.

"I don't think anyone is going to buy one," he said.

GameStop's tablet initiative, which will debut in a small fraction of the company's more than 6,500 stores, comes as part of the game retailer's attempts to expand its business beyond typical boxed game sales. If successful, GameStop said it should begin expanding the program next year.

Some of the company's other programs have included increased emphasis on selling access codes for additional game content, such as extra maps and levels, alongside traditional titles. GameStop has also expanded its trade-in program to allow customers to obtain in-store credit for used Apple Inc. (AAPL) mobile devices, such as the iPhone.

Those credits can be used to purchase games as well as the new Android gaming tablets, which GameStop said it chose based upon their ability to play graphically rich games while also connecting to a high-definition television.

GameStop worked with each tablet and game maker to include special code that will interact with a wireless controller that GameStop developed to sell alongside the devices. The controller, which will cost an additional $39 and is similar in shape and size to one made for Microsoft Corp.'s (MSFT) Xbox 360, can control four of the seven free games on the tablet from as far away as across a room, GameStop said.

"It doesn't replace the gold standard of the gaming console in your living room, but it's a good experience," said Tony Bartel, GameStop's president. He added that GameStop hopes to spark increased interest in high-quality games for tablets as a result. "We expect manufacturers to jump in and say 'Ah-ha, that's what consumers are looking for.'"

The only way it would be a true gaming device (to me) is if it had a gamepad much like the Xperia PLAY.

Eh, it depends. If the game is done correctly, you really don't need physical controls. Dead Space and Shadowgun are great examples.

However, I really don't see this catching on. For the same price, you can get an iPad2 which has a much larger software library and attracts more AAA developers.

So are all other tablet makers just pretending Amazon isn't going to be putting out a $199 dual core tablet in a few weeks?

Thanks, Steve. The article ended at "... called "Kongregate Arcade," and the Android app marketplace." for me in IE9 and Chrome. I think WSJ randomly chose articles to ask you to subscribe. It's hit and miss for me. Apparently this article was a miss.

I think $500 is reasonable. It's not just an Android device but a gaming device as well, which is more than you can say for an $800 Xoom and almost on par with a $400 ASUS Transformer. I'll be keeping my eye on this as they develop it. I hope they don't skimp on parts and power. For a gaming device, you'd want power over battery efficiency methinks.

I think they are developing more options for controllers with android. You can now connect a PS3 Controller to some android devices.

galaxy-s-ii.jpg

Console Gamer: - Complains about how expensive PC gaming is. Buys $500 tablet to play shovelware games anyway.

Why? I have two perfectly good gaming computers. So Why would I want to play some crappy "low-rez" game on some Under Powered Tablet? This is just more Me Too (a.k.a. Lets Copy Apple) garbage. Oh, and for that price, you can buy a console with a selection of games.

Why? I have two perfectly good gaming computers. So Why would I want to play some crappy "low-rez" game on some Under Powered Tablet? This is just more Me Too (a.k.a. Lets Copy Apple) garbage. Oh, and for that price, you can buy a console with a selection of games.

Obviously they're not catering to people who sit in front of their television with game consoles. They're targeting kids who's parents told them to go outside and play. They're targetting commuters and travelers. They're targeting people who wants an Android tablet and offering one more choice in the mix.

Definitely DOA. Amazon will probably kill this off very quickly.

If anything gamestop should have jumped on something like the WindowN50 as their base (5" capacitive cortex a8 handheld) which is sold now for $139 or so.

I think it's a great idea, Apple still doesn't understand the concept of gaming. It will be a good way to compete with the iPad.

I think most people are misinterpreting what GameStop is actually doing. Given that their tablets are coming from ASUS, Acer, and Samsung, it sounds to me like they're simply selling Transformers, Iconias and Galaxy Tabs in their stores and giving purchasers some free games as an incentive. There might be some type of rebranding going on but I don't read this article to mean that GameStop is jumping into the tablet space with their own device.

Nice how people AREN'T commenting on the continuously SHIT battery life any android device has when it actually has the power to run apps/games appropriately.

Oh sure.. "You can plug them in and play..." .. which kinda defeats the WHOLE FUCKING PURPOSE of being portable DOESN'T IT?? If you can plug it in.. why not just use your XBox or PS3?

Got news for you.. dragging all your gear out, plugging in & setting up, playing for a bit, then having to tear it all down and stash it cause the time you were killing is up and whatever you waiting to do needs top be done SUCKS. Not to mention, lugging all that shit around isn't fun.

I have a plug in cable and good headphones to use with my EVO 4G when I watch TV (Im addicted to Univision)/vids/music and even those little bit get cumbersome and annoying at times.

Obviously they're not catering to people who sit in front of their television with game consoles. They're targeting kids who's parents told them to go outside and play. They're targetting commuters and travelers. They're targeting people who wants an Android tablet and offering one more choice in the mix.

Recent report says that the Xoom is doing poor compared to the Apple iPad's. Xoom only sold 100,000 tablets, vs the millions the iPads are selling. Compound the fact that these tablets cost $500+, and you have a recipe for a sales disaster.

I really doubt there's a parent somewhere who's thinking of buying a tablet to shut their kids up, instead of a cheaper Nintendo 3DS. Especially not a parent thinking of buying a Android tablet. The sales are just dismal.

With HP having had problems selling their WebOS based tablets, and Motorola having poor sales for their Xoom tablet, the only viable tablet in the market is the iPad. The entire success of the tablet is because of the iPad.

If people believe the tablet market is the future, you're going to have to show me good sales figure, outside of the iPad. WebOS is a failure, and so far Android is as well. As far as I'm concerned is that iPad is just another Apple fad product. Thus, tablets are just a fad.

Recent report says that the Xoom is doing poor compared to the Apple iPad's. Xoom only sold 100,000 tablets, vs the millions the iPads are selling. Compound the fact that these tablets cost $500+, and you have a recipe for a sales disaster.

I really doubt there's a parent somewhere who's thinking of buying a tablet to shut their kids up, instead of a cheaper Nintendo 3DS. Especially not a parent thinking of buying a Android tablet. The sales are just dismal.

With HP having had problems selling their WebOS based tablets, and Motorola having poor sales for their Xoom tablet, the only viable tablet in the market is the iPad. The entire success of the tablet is because of the iPad.

If people believe the tablet market is the future, you're going to have to show me good sales figure, outside of the iPad. WebOS is a failure, and so far Android is as well. As far as I'm concerned is that iPad is just another Apple fad product. Thus, tablets are just a fad.

You might convince me that Android tablets are a waste of manufacturer's time but I don't think the iPad is going anywhere soon. I don't think the iPad is a fad. I'm seeing an increase in iPad use in the business, especially among field workers in every plant and construction site I go to audit. I don't see many (actually I haven't seen any) Android tablets among businesses yet. The iPad is pretty much here to stay, thanks to businesses' quick adoption rate.

Of course my point of view is just mine. I'm sure other people see things differently in their personal experience.

Nice how people AREN'T commenting on the continuously SHIT battery life any android device has when it actually has the power to run apps/games appropriately.

I picked up a Xoom on sale to replace the ipad2 that my toddler spilled root beer all over. I also had a evo before my iphone 4, So I know how shitty the battery life is on it.

Thats not the case with the Xoom. I have the thing overclocked to 1.5ghz and with the gpu overclocked as well and it seems to last comparable to my ipad. It also has the advantage of having a higher amperage charger. It surprised the crap out of me the first time I charged it while reading an ebook.

I would wager most of the other tegra 2 tablets will have similar battery life.

LOL did you just say they are targeting "kids whos parents told them to go outside and play?" haha your kidding right? so those same parents are going to spend 500 bucks on a table for them to take outside and play games on?

ROFL!

Soooo gullibly mainstream, uneducated and definitely uninformed OPINION, right there -----^

hahaha, far from the actual truth, and very slight obviousness of fanboyism and jelly that android is becoming #1 in not just phones, but tablets now too :D

Viewsonic, samsung, archos, I can go on with the GREAT tablet companies who make stuff for around HALF of the cost of the ipad2.... ipad is farrrrrr from the best tablet, only a mainstreamer opinion would think that, as usual :D

LOL did you just say they are targeting "kids whos parents told them to go outside and play?" haha your kidding right? so those same parents are going to spend 500 bucks on a table for them to take outside and play games on?

It was among one of several examples, which I've typed. This isn't the 80s anymore. Kids are told to go to their room - but guess what's in their rooms now? Computers, video games, and handhelds. Cell phones and tablets too.

Parents aren't going to specifically buy tablets so that kids can go outside and play with them. Kids will already have them anyways and they will take it outside if they can.

It was among one of several examples, which I've typed. This isn't the 80s anymore. Kids are told to go to their room - but guess what's in their rooms now? Computers, video games, and handhelds. Cell phones and tablets too.

Parents aren't going to specifically buy tablets so that kids can go outside and play with them. Kids will already have them anyways and they will take it outside if they can.

Umm, are you even a parent? I am and I would never buy my daughter a tablet, if she already has an Xbox, 3ds. If she was the type of kid where I wanted her to experience "RL" real life outside the house, would I ever buy her a 500 dollar tablet, to take outside! I Honestly dont think many parents would. Did you not see nintendo lower prices on 3ds in the same year of release lower prices cause parents thought that it was way to expensive. will see how this 500 dollar tablets fairs in the market.

Umm, are you even a parent? I am and I would never buy my daughter a tablet, if she already has an Xbox, 3ds. If she was the type of kid where I wanted her to experience "RL" real life outside the house, would I ever buy her a 500 dollar tablet, to take outside! I Honestly dont think many parents would. Did you not see nintendo lower prices on 3ds in the same year of release lower prices cause parents thought that it was way to expensive. will see how this 500 dollar tablets fairs in the market.

Yes, I have a 12 and 6 year old. The 12 has an iPod 4th gen and a computer in her room. The 6 has a couple cheap K-mart handheld and an older computer in the same room as mine and my SO's room which hasn't been on, pretty much ever, lol The 6 year old favors the HTPC which contains hundreds of her cartoons, anime and animations.

Both have tons of regular toys too - Barbies, Littlest Pet Shop, what have you.

You're making the mistake of thinking the way you raise your children is the same as the way everyone else do. You'd be surprised how lax parents are these days regarding kids and video games.

It may not be a good idea to us but I could see gamestop doing OK with it. With the writing on the wall for used games, and lots of companies like Amazon and B&N jumping into providing a branded device to complement their primary product services it seems like something they may be forced to do. However what they need is to subsidize it and lock the market in so they get a cut. I cant see gamestop types buying any unsubsidized gaming device,.

Oh sure.. "You can plug them in and play..." .. which kinda defeats the WHOLE FUCKING PURPOSE of being portable DOESN'T IT?? If you can plug it in.. why not just use your XBox or PS3?

Got news for you.. dragging all your gear out, plugging in & setting up, playing for a bit, then having to tear it all down and stash it cause the time you were killing is up and whatever you waiting to do needs top be done SUCKS. Not to mention, lugging all that shit around isn't fun.

I have a plug in cable and good headphones to use with my EVO 4G when I watch TV (Im addicted to Univision)/vids/music and even those little bit get cumbersome and annoying at times.
They don't comment because the battery life is great. My transformer charges quickly and lasts for 7-9 hours of usage on a charge.

ROFL!

Soooo gullibly mainstream, uneducated and definitely uninformed OPINION, right there -----^

hahaha, far from the actual truth, and very slight obviousness of fanboyism and jelly that android is becoming #1 in not just phones, but tablets now too :D

Viewsonic, samsung, archos, I can go on with the GREAT tablet companies who make stuff for around HALF of the cost of the ipad2.... ipad is farrrrrr from the best tablet, only a mainstreamer opinion would think that, as usual :D

Got anything to dispute what I said? Show me the sales of a successful tablet besides iPad. Cause all the other tablets I see are hardly selling.

ROFL!

let me guess. you liked android tablets before it was cool?

The real trouble is for $399 i can buy an AMD llano based laptop that will play better games with bigger screen, probably better graphics, with a huge choice of which controller i wish to use with it.

Ive seen gateway NV series 15" laptops for $399 with quad core 6530 or something GPU. True its no where near high end, but if its at least twice as powerful as my wifes AMD e-350 then it will do quite well in world of warcraft, left for dead, call of duty, etc at 1366x768. Not only that but is way more versatile for streaming movies, homework, etc

its only successful because of apples marketing. I love my Asus Transformer and would never consider an ipad. someone in my household has an ipad and it doesnt even compare.

Back