ASUS P8P67 EVO REV 3.0 Motherboard Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
ASUS P8P67 EVO REV 3.0 Motherboard Review - Through the P8P67 EVO, ASUS brings a board to the table that raises the bar on its other offerings. Not only does this motherboard perform like a champ, it is packed to the gills with features and integrated functionalities. At less than $165 after MIR, it shows to be a solid value.

2v for CPU PLL? That'll fry something soon enough :)

Don't be a pussy. :D I routinely have to use 1.95v CPU PLL voltage to get these bitches to 5.0GHz+. It works on the entire ASUS P8Z68 and P8P67 lineup. It also works on most MSI and Gigabyte boards. Before every manufacturer made CPU PLL overvoltage an option, 4.7GHz-4.9GHz was all I'd see most of the time. Now I'm consistently seeing overclocks from "bad" boards reach 4.8GHz at the very least. Though the Core i5 2500K's we have to work with are amazing examples of silicon.

Don't be a pussy. :D I routinely have to use 1.95v CPU PLL voltage to get these bitches to 5.0GHz+. It works on the entire ASUS P8Z68 and P8P67 lineup. It also works on most MSI and Gigabyte boards. Before every manufacturer made CPU PLL overvoltage an option, 4.7GHz-4.9GHz was all I'd see most of the time. Now I'm consistently seeing overclocks from "bad" boards reach 4.8GHz at the very least. Though the Core i5 2500K's we have to work with are amazing examples of silicon.

To each their own, 4.6ghz is more then enough for my games. I understand doing it for a hardware review/bench. Its not like its going to be at those 24/7 ;)

I am however quite jealous of your 3x30" setup.

To each their own, 4.6ghz is more then enough for my games. I understand doing it for a hardware review/bench. Its not like its going to be at those 24/7 ;)

I am however quite jealous of your 3x30" setup.

Also keep in mind that when I'm doing that I'm using an open air test bench. I don't think you'd be able to get the same exact results putting the same hardware inside a case. At least not without going even further with the cooling than I did on the test bench.

to bad no PCI 3.0 with rev 3, and TSMC just announced new 28nm are in full production right now, and they make both nvidia and amd GPU's.

Cant seem to find any details on when we get to see the new flavor of video cards. I hear the benches on this will make the gtx580 and amd6970 a run over.

Rumor, to bad only a rumor supposed to be in streets sometime novemberish. Was going to put a new build up soon, but kinda waiting hedging to see pci3.0 cards and when intel's 2700k will hit streets.

Didnt you post article Intel is supposed to have new chipset out by year end also, regarding the current sata/ raid controller ?? Supposedly replacing the current Z board stuff, and will get 10 sata 3 ports and all ports will be usb3.0 and stuff like that. Vs the current sata and usb port limitations, though intel was going to have fix for those issues.

to bad no PCI 3.0 with rev 3, and TSMC just announced new 28nm are in full production right now, and they make both nvidia and amd GPU's.

Cant seem to find any details on when we get to see the new flavor of video cards. I hear the benches on this will make the gtx580 and amd6970 a run over.

Rumor, to bad only a rumor supposed to be in streets sometime novemberish. Was going to put a new build up soon, but kinda waiting hedging to see pci3.0 cards and when intel's 2700k will hit streets.

Didnt you post article Intel is supposed to have new chipset out by year end also, regarding the current sata/ raid controller ?? Supposedly replacing the current Z board stuff, and will get 10 sata 3 ports and all ports will be usb3.0 and stuff like that. Vs the current sata and usb port limitations, though intel was going to have fix for those issues.

I would suggest that PCIe Gen 3 will be of no concern to next-gen GPU performance except in some very rare cases, and then only marginally.

Just wanted to point out a little graphic error on the review:

the Drive Performance Crystal Diskmark images indicate tests run on the "Intel Z68 SATA..." chipset, instead of the P67 chipset...

This is an awesome board, just finish my BF3 rig with this board an overclocked an 2600k to 5ghz right out the box with no issues.

As the title says why would anyone bother to pick this motherboard when the Z68 chipset brings so much more to the table for at the same price :confused:

As the title says why would anyone bother to pick this motherboard when the Z68 chipset brings so much more to the table for at the same price :confused:

Well, there are times where someone might desire P67 over Z68. Mainly because they have no interest in QuickSync, integrated video or the Smart Response Technology feature. Granted if the two are the same price I'd probably go Z68 myself but if I could save a few dollars, I'd probably go with P67. Furthermore, if I were going with Z68, I damn sure would try and find a board without integrated GPU support. The DVI, HDMI, DSUB and other connection options take up valuable I/O panel space reserved for USB ports and potentially other things that I'd use more than integrated video.

Well, there are times where someone might desire P67 over Z68. Mainly because they have no interest in QuickSync, integrated video or the Smart Response Technology feature. Granted if the two are the same price I'd probably go Z68 myself but if I could save a few dollars, I'd probably go with P67. Furthermore, if I were going with Z68, I damn sure would try and find a board without integrated GPU support. The DVI, HDMI, DSUB and other connection options take up valuable I/O panel space reserved for USB ports and potentially other things that I'd use more than integrated video.

The ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 would fit the bill nicely.

Back