The Future According To Microsoft

some cool stuff..but it looks like microsofts vision of the future is Apple rules the world..Bloody everything is white..Ugh.

This might be a vision of the future, but it's a future that basically has type A neat-o-holics in it that want everything to be micromanaged.

some cool stuff..but it looks like microsofts vision of the future is Apple rules the world..Bloody everything is white..Ugh.

I totally agree! Why does everything look like an Apple product?

I much preferred the 1990's version of Microsoft's future applications: everything was black and dark gray, with a 90's cyberpunk atmosphere, it made things look so much more real. :cool:

This bubbly, white, sterile future looks hideous and depressing. :(

Hey there are minorities in Microsoft's vision of the future unlike Apple's and George Jetson's.

A video about the future using a shit player that should have died a hateful death ten years ago. Nice.

White would not last in our society, everything would look lik shit brown and black after a few months and be dirty as hell.

In the future....the bellhop is still black. Don't worry guys, we're going to be ok. :p

I would have preferred this to that Apple-elitist future:
Cyberpunk.jpg

NickJames dont worry about that, everything is going to be crap stained, green, tained after the fallout. also with zombie teeth marks, years of pollution.

NickJames dont worry about that, everything is going to be crap stained, green, tained after the fallout. also with zombie teeth marks, years of pollution.

I can't wait! Best of all, no more Apple logos on every white surface in existence. :D

Looks pretty cool. I think most of this technology already exists, just beyond the financial capability of most areas/people at this time. I see a lot if integrated Windows Phone/Kinect stuff in that video.

Looks pretty cool. I think most of this technology already exists, just beyond the financial capability of most areas/people at this time. I see a lot if integrated Windows Phone/Kinect stuff in that video.

That's what I thought was cool about it: it's a lot of technology that normal people already have access to (maybe not quite to the degree shown in the video, but close), just put together in a really useful way.

I totally agree! Why does everything look like an Apple product?

Huh? This is nothing but Windows Phone and Metro, heck there's even a "Travel Hub", that's right out of Metro terminology today. This whole demo is nothing but a future vision of Metro, indeed there's a number of apps on Windows Phone that look and work like this now. There's even electromagnetic pens in this thing, when was the last time you saw that in an Apple product?

Apple's marketing is amazing. Technology that's CLEARLY nothing like theirs and even references terms and things used TODAY in Microsoft's portfolio somehow look like Apple's even stuff like pens that Jobs himself vehemently denounced. No wonder Apple wants to sue the world, even stuff they denounce and don't even do is theirs.

Huh? This is nothing but Windows Phone and Metro, heck there's even a "Travel Hub", that's right out of Metro terminology today. This whole demo is nothing but a future vision of Metro, indeed there's a number of apps on Windows Phone that look and work like this now. There's even electromagnetic pens in this thing, when was the last time you saw that in an Apple product?

Apple's marketing is amazing. Technology that's CLEARLY nothing like theirs and even references terms and things used TODAY in Microsoft's portfolio somehow look like Apple's even stuff like pens that Jobs himself vehemently denounced. No wonder Apple wants to sue the world, even stuff they denounce and don't even do is theirs.

Hence why I liked the cyberpunk 90's version of the future. :D

I can't get my smartphone and touchpad to agree with me on their screen orientation. These people are whipping out their devices, swiping things and moving things around like it's reading their minds.

Also, I don't want every surface to have some electronic screen with an advertisement, application or moving picture. Some of it is cool, but the taxi windows shouldn't be showing my appointments or travel plans on it. All that data being shared and manipulated is just inviting hackers to break in.

This might be a vision of the future, but it's a future that basically has type A neat-o-holics in it that want everything to be micromanaged.
+1
They all look like rich upper class people. What about the future of the middle-lower class people?

I guess I just hate seeing visions of how tomorrow will look like today. I've seen that crap since the 40's and I'm only 30.

+1
They all look like rich upper class people. What about the future of the middle-lower class people?

I guess I just hate seeing visions of how tomorrow will look like today. I've seen that crap since the 40's and I'm only 30.

And just remember little Billy, tomorrow will be an even better day! :p

I've never liked these futuristic interfaces, like minority report... always seemed lame to me. Maybe it's because when that time comes it'll probably look cooler then what we currently can imagine? I also work in Graphic Design and trends change, and this all just looks current "trendy" to me, maybe that's it...

It's not so much an angle of vision for the future, but a demonstration of the impact of the proliferation of already existing technologies...which made for more of a bore than any actual excitement.

Microsoft really did a good thing all those years ago with a decent GUI...but now I've seen so much minimalistic "hipster white" kinda shit. It looks cool, but adds another degree of abstraction further from the power of the command line, in a way and by effect, gradually making general end users more inept...because god knows, if you don't see it or cant click on it, it cant be done.

I've never liked these futuristic interfaces, like minority report... always seemed lame to me. Maybe it's because when that time comes it'll probably look cooler then what we currently can imagine? I also work in Graphic Design and trends change, and this all just looks current "trendy" to me, maybe that's it...

Plus those shitty interfaces are a whole load of stupid. Everyone hold out your arms infront of you...see how long you can do it for... Exactly. Stupid idea.

+1

Slaving away 16 hours a day to keep everything this running.

I think it would be more realistic if the people looks a little more like the people in movie WALL-E :)

Plus, where do you put you luggage in a cab that small?

Call me old fashioned, but my idea of a productive future involves spending 80% less time navigating menus and attending meetings, so that we can come home and spend time with the people we love instead of talking to them through a screen...

Thank god in the future we don't have to actually interact with human beings face-to-face any longer..our voicemails are converted into text, and society communicates via emails and complicated slideshows..wait...thats already how I live my life... :p

I fuckin' hate hand gestures. Yes, the future is flinging your hands around like an idiot. "Swipey Swooshy Mr. monitor, now flipy twistidy shrinky for me please!" @ 3:00 er something.

LOG
Anyways... why is every screen so busy? Sitting here looking at this screen, I'm not as feverishly working as MS's vision of the future, but it's mainly because why the hell would I do anything that quickly and continuously? No human could do real work like that, only fake pre-scripted work. It's like the difference between what hackers actually do and how it's portrayed in the movie Hackers. The actually productive people have keyboards and do basically the same shit their parents did in the 60's.

My version of cyberpunk is slightly depressing, but feels homey still.

Yes, that type of interconnect between EVERYTHING is positively Orwellian. It had better not ever be like that. We must not connect ourselves that much. For all the POTENTIAL good, which this video shows very well, the possibility of abuse and full time monitoring of our lives is simply too risky. If the devices can do some of this locally without constant net access I'll be ok with it but much of what they show would require location awareness and internet connectivity every minute of the day.

A pretty painting of utopia there, but the real life of it would be a police state and big brother watching you in the bathroom and monitoring every penny you spend and every hobby you have.

I'll pass. There's other ways to live with high technology other than total interconnectedness.

Funny thing, the future looks like Google will run it, and all the software will run Linux. After all, isn't the only car that can drive itself made from Google?

We are already being overwhelmed by choices and changes in interfaces, programs and features. If these big companies do not agree on standards, we'll never be able to figure out interfaces that complicated.

That little girl is growing up using the same interface as her parents, I'm sure we can all navigate as well if we've been using it since birth. But with Chrome version whatever now, and Firefox hitting a new version ever couple of months, we'll never learn the interface, not to mention smart phone "apps" and hardware design. It will be perpetual change.

This is all some geek's wet dream. It CAN be done, but it will require too much cooperation. It can even be done securely, but as Android is demonstrating, people want apps more than they want security, or even reliability.

The problem with this video: Apple is preparing patent applications for the devices shown.

Back