Exposed Copyright Trolls Dump Mass Lawsuits

HardOCP News

[H] News
Copyright trolls on the run? We can only hope! :D

A few weeks ago TorrentFreak unraveled a tangled web of copyright trolls who had sued hundreds of BitTorrent users under the name MCGIP. The article revealed the tight connections between the various parties involved in the scheme and the mistakes they made. Interestingly enough, soon after these findings were published MCGIP dropped their lawsuits for reasons unknown.

I'm still surprised people still use bit torrent with all the law suits going on. You use it to download movies you're making your self a target. The only thing the system does is make money but does nothing to solve the problem. Or is the problem just an illusion now to make money.

Actually Galvin, it's a lose lose. When people fight those cases, the recording companies are losing lots of money - especially when they lose it.

Also I can't say I feel that bad - the trolls are just taking advantage of dumbasses that are quick to pay something without even considering :rolleyes:

I'm still surprised people still use bit torrent with all the law suits going on. You use it to download movies you're making your self a target. The only thing the system does is make money but does nothing to solve the problem. Or is the problem just an illusion now to make money.

The reason most people still use Bit Torrent is because nobody cares about these lawsuits. These lawyers are going after a small amount of people, compared to the millions of bit torrenters at any given moment. The idea is that by suing a small amount of people will send a large message to the public to stop doing this. But being targeted by any one of these people will be like winning the lottery, in terms of luck. Plus, since it hardly gets any attention of big news like CNN or Fox, nobody even really knows about them.

The people that really have to worry are the people who upload. The more of this you do, the more trouble you'll run into. Plus, they only care about new content. Old moves, and especially unpopular old movies are never a concern.

Smells like WrongHaven and their "leasing" content model (in which they P-Oed a judge and got their rears handed to them, roasted).

Some ISPs will mail a cease and desist letter, but if you ever read DSLReports the people that get them never get taken to court. One person even said they had a pile of them and nothing ever happened. It's seems if you are caught seeding then it may trigger a copyright flag and an automated letter gets printed and sent to your mailbox.

There is somethign wrong with that. I got an mail saying that we were infringing on something, I think it was a harry potter movie or hurt locker... but I know I didn't and checked with my family members, none of them did either.

So I don't know what process they use, but it's clearly faulty.

Back