UNOFFICIAL 11.9 CAP4 - This CAP was not provided directly by AMD

SIRTIM3

Limp Gawd
http://www.rage3d.com/cap/

New profiles added with this release:

•Battlefield 3 - Provides great CrossFire scaling and resolves stuttering issues when running in CrossFire mode.
•Deus Ex Missing Link: Improves CrossFire performance
•F1 2011: Improves CrossFire performance
•Dead Island: Improves CrossFire performance
•Batman Arkham City (DX9 version): Improves CrossFire performance
•NBA 2012: Disables CrossFire

Ok real quick i tried F1 2011 1920X1200 res , 3 6970's Tri-Fire and Holy Shit IT WORKS!!!! Just Ran the Benchmark, 2600K @ 4600 Mhz Everything maxxed out in Game Avg FPS 101!!!!!!!!!!! Old cap was 43!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Battlefield 3 same setting everthing maxxed in game and Holy SHIT It Works!!!!!!!!!!! No more stuttering, i turned on HT again and it still is working nice and SMOOTH!!
Fps at 1920X1200 max settings FPS 110 to 150.

Ok real quick i tried F1 2011 1920X1200 res , 3 6970's Tri-Fire and Holy Shit IT WORKS!!!! Just Ran the Benchmark, 2600K @ 4600 Mhz Everything maxxed out in Game Avg FPS 101!!!!!!!!!!! Old cap was 43!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Battlefield 3 same setting everthing maxxed in game and Holy SHIT It Works!!!!!!!!!!! No more stuttering, i turned on HT again and it still is working nice and SMOOTH!!

Trifire 6970's and you are not using eyefinity?

Calm down just a little bit! Sheesh...:eek:

I'm just curious and have to ask... If AMD didn't release this cap who did? Is it made by AMD but leaked or made by someone independent like the Omega driver dude?

Not running EYEFINITY atm getting new moniters, Im impressed that these work, I love F! 2011 thats why i was super happy :p

I'm just curious and have to ask... If AMD didn't release this cap who did? Is it made by AMD but leaked or made by someone independent like the Omega driver dude?

It sounds like it's legit (leaked) but AMD didn't release it officially yet...it's going around at rage3d as well.

noticeable improvement with stuttering on my 6990. FPS stayed about the same but its seemed to fix the stuttering so far

not sure about this, after many trials and few tribulations I got bf3 running with 11.10 preview 3, but AA in ultra induces a sticky lag to movement which is intolerable. My fps are high in ultra 80-100 fps but AA has to be turned down or run in high to get smooth motion.

These are working great! 1920x1080 Ultra, High Post AA, 16x Aniso, HBAO Off averaging ~100+fps easily. 99% GPU utilization on each card. Hell yes.

OpenGL still borked? When you bootup, does it tell you that the drivers recovered from an error?

I had a mountain of issues with X-fire... I've resolved them but it was a total nightmare.

1. Windows: I've never used more than 500MB for my Windows Virtual Memory. Without Crossfire enabled this was not an issue, however for BF3 a low VMem setting results in countless crashes to the desktop due to memory errors. I increased virtual memory from 500mb to 3gb and I haven't had the CTD memory errors since.

Note: I have 8gbs of ram and 2 Radeon 6950s with 2gb of vram each but BF3 for some reason needs Virtual memory... Poor programming.

2. Download and install ATIMan Uninstaller V.6 here: http://www.mediafire.com/?76yfas13pwcnhq6

Uninstall ALL ATI software and manually uninstall CAP. Then run ATIman uninstaller.

3. After ATIman finishes wiping all your old driver data and rebooting install Catalyst 11.10 Preview 3 (Google it).

4. Install Cap4 (thanks for posting it Glycerin). http://www.rage3d.com/cap/

Note: Cap 4 is installed and seems to be working well. No issues with it.

5. I think the really important detail here is to run ATIMan uninstaller because no matter what I tried I couldn't get it working until I used ATIMan. My OS image is over 2 years old now and I've installed a ton of old Cat Drivers.

Performance Summary:

I've been playing for over 3 hours without a single crash running FRAPS. I'm running two soft modded Radeon 6950 > 6970s. Framerates with Ultra preset and 2xAA/High AAA are usually around 100 and NEVER below 60. The game looks spectacular. I'm VERY picky about frame rate or I could easily run the Ultra preset but ballistic scope is a REAL FPS whore. I'm convinced something is wrong with scope frame rates in BF3. I also think the drivers have a LOT of room for performance improvement still.

Hope this helps.

PC:
Asus P8P67pro
Core I5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
2x Radeon 6950>6970 softmod
8gb PC1333
Intel X25m g2 80gb
WIndows 7 x64

CAP4 made a HUGE difference for me. I went from barely holding 60fps at high (with ultra textures) to ultra getting 70-100fps.

My BSOD Atikmdag came back, But I think its my power supply and due to the cards drawing more power when working properly.

CAP4 made a HUGE difference for me. I went from barely holding 60fps at high (with ultra textures) to ultra getting 70-100fps.

My BSOD Atikmdag came back, But I think its my power supply and due to the cards drawing more power when working properly.

Unless thats a really crappy PSU, 950w should be more than enough. I'd try atiman uninstaller, I wouldn't be surprised if your bsod is old driver corruption in the reg/elsewhere.

How many amps on the 12v line on that PSU?

I'm running 8 hard drives, bd-rom, ASus U3S6 add-on card, 2 soft modded 6970s and a 4.4ghz 1.35v 2500k sandy bridge on a Corsair 750 (Old model)....

Is this not working for anybody else?

I uninstalled my 11.9 CAP3, restarted, then installed 11.9 CAP4 unofficial and I can only get one card working in game. I'm running eyefinity portrait.

I tested some other games and my crossfire is working there, so it's just BF3...

Last edited:
I The game looks spectacular. I'm VERY picky about frame rate or I could easily run the Ultra preset but ballistic scope is a REAL FPS whore. I'm convinced something is wrong with scope frame rates in BF3

Trust me, thats AMD-ATI driver thing, or enginering issue....not game/s problem for sure. I had the exactly same problem with Amd card and Crysis 1, 2 years ago! changed to Nvidia and the issue was gone at once.

The 5870's had the same issue at same spot of the game, now after 1.5 years, with 6970, same issue on same spot in Crysis, and exactly the same kind of issues in Crysis2 , Metro and BF3, scope/zoom/fireing from distance totally kills the fps!

Last edited:
Unless thats a really crappy PSU, 950w should be more than enough. I'd try atiman uninstaller, I wouldn't be surprised if your bsod is old driver corruption in the reg/elsewhere.

How many amps on the 12v line on that PSU?

I'm running 8 hard drives, bd-rom, ASus U3S6 add-on card, 2 soft modded 6970s and a 4.4ghz 1.35v 2500k sandy bridge on a Corsair 750 (Old model)....

I think the problem is the power on the rail, because when I first hooked it up I couldnt get any video at all, I had to move around some wires and unplug some stuff :).

I just did a fresh install of windows with Preview 3 and no other cap so I don't think thats it either. I also always use driver sweeper between installs anyway.

Also before CAP4, I was having problems with this BSOD with Xfire until I unplugged even more stuff, then I played hours with no issues.

I think the problem is the power on the rail, because when I first hooked it up I couldnt get any video at all, I had to move around some wires and unplug some stuff :).

I just did a fresh install of windows with Preview 3 and no other cap so I don't think thats it either. I also always use driver sweeper between installs anyway.

Also before CAP4, I was having problems with this BSOD with Xfire until I unplugged even more stuff, then I played hours with no issues.

In case you haven't tried it, try running your 2600k at stock settings to see if that stops your crashing. If that gets you stability you may need to up your voltage of your cpu. Also why is the turbo boost feature disabled?

The cap4 works fine. All my cards are nearly 100%.

Smooth 65 fps 6050x1200 in EF.

I get 45-60 fps with 11.10v3 preview on 2x5870 at 1920x1200..
Is that accurate? It seems a little bit slow:(

When I get home, I will try the CAP4 and hope for the best.

In case you haven't tried it, try running your 2600k at stock settings to see if that stops your crashing. If that gets you stability you may need to up your voltage of your cpu. Also why is the turbo boost feature disabled?

The BSOD is specifically the ATIKMDAG every time so I really don't think it is the overclock.

Turbo boost is off because I don't like it. I didn't buy a 2600k to overclock to 4.6ghz to have it chose for me when it will run at said clock. I want it at that clock 24/7.

There were (may still be) also loads of issues with overclocking and having turbo boost sleep issues and it not restoring clocks etc.. (at least on my mobo) so I wanted no part of that fun.

I get 45-60 fps with 11.10v3 preview on 2x5870 at 1920x1200..
Is that accurate? It seems a little bit slow:(

When I get home, I will try the CAP4 and hope for the best.

5870 Crossfire was not the best in the first place.
This is a very taxing game, so what you see may be what you get.

What in game settings are you using?

Don't expect the new CAP to work miracles. All it did for me was bump up FPS about 5 FPS, but pretty smooth performance.

I have had AMD driver related craches to desktop twice however.......

confirmed f1 2011 crossfire working with this patch. was able to run ULTRA settings at 6048x1080 with my 6870s and got an avg of 55 fps, min of 46

The thing is, when I played with the beta, I did get roughly the same performace.. only with 1 card:D

Im using Medium settings, with 4x MSAA.
It does seem that crossfire isnt running for me in this game.

And dont tell me that the 5870 is bad for crossfire.. it is not the case anymore.. maybe when it was released in 2009.
I added the second card last week, it doubled framerates in Unigine Heaven and 3DMARK11 as well as Bad Company 2... The only game I didnt had luck with is Hot Pursuit and Oblivion.

So Im hoping it will run better...
Also, I will get a new PSU, because I dont trust my Zalman 600w

The thing is, when I played with the beta, I did get roughly the same performace.. only with 1 card:D

Im using Medium settings, with 4x MSAA.
It does seem that crossfire isnt running for me in this game.

And dont tell me that the 5870 is bad for crossfire.. it is not the case anymore.. maybe when it was released in 2009.
I added the second card last week, it doubled framerates in Unigine Heaven and 3DMARK11 as well as Bad Company 2... The only game I didnt had luck with is Hot Pursuit and Oblivion.

So Im hoping it will run better...
Also, I will get a new PSU, because I dont trust my Zalman 600w

What is your GPU usage in game? Use Afterburner and check.

Also it's official now:
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/pages/crossfirex-app-profiles.aspx

The BSOD is specifically the ATIKMDAG every time so I really don't think it is the overclock.

I have the same cpu and had the same bsod's in the past and it was my cpu overclock. I needed more voltage to maintain my overclock which wasn't necessary at first. The longer you push your cpu at that high frequency with as low of a voltage as possible, I found that eventually your going to need to feed it a every so slightly bit more of voltage. I feed mine 1.435V now to keep it happy @ 5ghz. Before I was doing it with 1.425v and that was stable 100% for about 3 months or more. Then my system started crashing atikmdag.sys which only means the driver for the videocard failed... but why did it fail I asked myself? I found that the cpu instability was causing the driver to fail. Videocards depend on the cpu as much as the cpu depends on the videocard for high end gaming.

Turbo boost is off because I don't like it. I didn't buy a 2600k to overclock to 4.6ghz to have it chose for me when it will run at said clock. I want it at that clock 24/7.

With the instructions per clock these cpu's offer you'll be absolutely fine from a performance standpoint to run these cpu's with turbo boost enabled and have them run in low power/voltage mode on the desktop environment.

There were (may still be) also loads of issues with overclocking and having turbo boost sleep issues and it not restoring clocks etc.. (at least on my mobo) so I wanted no part of that fun.

I haven't heard of these problems and I don't use sleep personally but that's as good a reason as any to turn it off I suppose. As long as there isn't a work around to fix these issues as running at 4.6 24/7 in the 2d desktop environment, is far from necessary from a performance standpoint as I stated earlier and the old way of overclocking and thinking is obsolete in this day and age.

Poj:"And dont tell me that the 5870 is bad for crossfire.. it is not the case anymore.. maybe when it was released in 2009.
I added the second card last week, it doubled framerates in Unigine Heaven and 3DMARK11 as well as Bad Company 2... The only game I didnt had luck with is Hot Pursuit and Oblivion."

I had 5870 E6 models in Crossfire last year, and they really didn't Crossfire worth a damn; which is why I upgraded.

I'm glad they are better now, but you look to be restricted to medium settings which is too bad......the game is visually very realistic.:D

To evaluate the CAP4 performance, just run Afterburner and evaluate FPS and GPU useage.

Last edited:
"And dont tell me that the 5870 is bad for crossfire.. it is not the case anymore.. maybe when it was released in 2009.
I added the second card last week, it doubled framerates in Unigine Heaven and 3DMARK11 as well as Bad Company 2... The only game I didnt had luck with is Hot Pursuit and Oblivion."

I had 5870 E6 models in Crossfire last year, and they really didn't Crossfire worth a damn; which is why I upgraded.

I'm glad they are better now, but you look to be restricted to medium settings which is too bad......the game is visually very realistic.:D

To evaluate the CAP4 performance, just run Afterburner and evaluate FPS and GPU useage.

Magoo can you make a thread about this and put up some benchmarks and testing data. I would really like to see more of this and since you just got the cards your the right man for the job. Also please list your games and I'll request some for you to test. I hope your up to the task. I would really like to see updated data of crossfire for the 5800 series. It would be helpful for the community as well.

Magoo can you make a thread about this and put up some benchmarks and testing data. I would really like to see more of this and since you just got the cards your the right man for the job. Also please list your games and I'll request some for you to test. I hope your up to the task. I would really like to see updated data of crossfire for the 5800 series. It would be helpful for the community as well.
I think you misread my post,

I would love to.....but I only have 6000 series cards, I sold my E6s this year when I upgraded.

I'm sorry, but it would be a cool thing to see data from this year with 11.xx drivers and CAPs versus 10.xx and 9.xx drivers that I used.

Again, sorry but I'm always happy to help out if I can.:D

I would love to.....but I only have 6000 series cards, I sold my E6s this year when I upgraded.

I'm sorry, but it would be a cool thing to see data from this year with 11.xx drivers and CAPs versus 10.xx and 9.xx drivers that I used.

Again, sorry but I'm always happy to help out if I can.:D

Damn, sorry if I misunderstood you. I thought you meant that you have the cards now and just got your second one. Reading comprehension fail by me.

As long as there isn't a work around to fix these issues as running at 4.6 24/7 in the 2d desktop environment, is far from necessary from a performance standpoint as I stated earlier and the old way of overclocking and thinking is obsolete in this day and age.

Yeah you are probably right, I have a new case/powersupply/2nd SSD coming, when I rebuild maybe I will turn it back on and give it a shot.

On 11.10 Preview 3 with CAP4, the usage for both GPUs on my 6990 is rarely 99% and fluctuates a lot, whereas without CAP4 it's always at 99% and performs better

Bah, I uninstalled unoffical CAP4, uninstalled AMD drivers, safe mode driver swept, reinstalled 11.10 preview 3, installed offical CAP4, and my crossfire STILL isn't working in BF3... Well I guess it sort of works... The second card only does anything during cut scenes and movies...

Back