HP Testing Windows 8 on TouchPads

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wait, I thought the TouchPad was killed off? You know...that whole $99 fire sale thing they just had?

The products you thought were dead at HP may not be quite dead just yet. The HP TouchPad, the highly praised WebOS operating system, and the entire PC division are still on the chopping block, but sources at HP say that with the new CEO Meg Whitman, the butcher's blade hasn't yet fallen. So those HP TouchPads may not be historical artifacts after all.

I'd imagine it's the Atom powered Touchpad they already sell with Windows 7 on it, not the WebOS version they killed off.

As for HP doing it, here's hoping they do it right. I hate HP's inhouse touch programs they bundle with TouchSmart computers. They need to take Joe Average's advice and leave it alone.

I'd imagine it's the Atom powered Touchpad they already sell with Windows 7 on it, not the WebOS version they killed off.

Why not the WebOS version? Win8 will have an ARM version.

I was answering Steve saying that he thought HP killed off the Touchpad. They killed off WebOS Touchpad, not the Atom powered Windows 7 Touchpads.

Reviving ARM Touchpad for Windows 8 would indeed be nice with it's battery efficiency and all.

I was answering Steve saying that he thought HP killed off the Touchpad. They killed off WebOS Touchpad, not the Atom powered Windows 7 Touchpads.

Reviving ARM Touchpad for Windows 8 would indeed be nice with it's battery efficiency and all.

I would rather it be the Atom version. Yes Windows 8 runs on ARM, but your programs won't. What good is windows without programs? I would like to see a slate that would run all my windows program.

Some sanity restored at HP?

Meg Whitman blew $100 million+ in a failed run for Governor and lost to a complete clown shoes, not to mention she has been on the board while this whole musical CEO shit was going on. I lack confidence in her making the right decisions for HP. WebOS was a rough jewel that they shattered in their pathetically feeble attempt to cut it into a gem. I jsut retired my Palm Pre Plus for a iPhone 4S, sad to see such a good idea wasted. The upside is Im gonna hack it into a portable 16 GB wifi drive.

WebOS, the Dreamcast of smartphones.

Multiboot is something that I've thought I'd want to do with on this tablet convertible of mine... it's too bad though that Android doesn't really mean moar battery life or blazing fast performance running those mobile apps on x64...

Actually the Touchpad makes more sense to adapt for Windows 8 than the HP Slate 500 because the 500's native resolution won't support Metro while the Touchpad's will. Plenty of people have the Developer Preview running on the HP Slate and it is possible to get Metro to work on it because it can emulate 1024x768 though it's native resolution is the netbook standard 1024x600. I'll probably upgrade my HP Slate when the Windows 8 Beta comes out as I'm hearing that the machine is considerably faster with 8 though there's a number of driver issues in the DP.

Windows 8 is a game changer. Here's why, the Windows Store and Metro. All Metro apps can run on ARM, x86, desktops, laptops and tablets using mice, keyboards, touch and pens. Hate the new Start Screen and Metro all you want, even if Windows 8 is a sales flop and sells as many units as Vista, which I think is a worst case scenario, Windows 8 instantly becomes the fastest growing "tablet" OS out there and in a year would surpass iOS and Android combined on devices other than phones. App developers pretty much become compelled to write apps for it by the legions and it's why Microsoft doesn't want the option to turn off Metro in Windows 8 for ANYONE if it is humanly possible. Of course Microsoft knows that this will piss some people off, but Windows owns the desktop already and no one is really all that interested in the desktop, it is ALL about tablets for the foreseeable future beyond phones.

It's a great and logical strategy, not perfect but there simply isn't a better way for Microsoft to instantly become the major force in tablets by getting the massive developer attention from all those Windows 8 machines of which any regardless of shape and size can will be able to run Metro apps.

Actually the Touchpad makes more sense to adapt for Windows 8 than the HP Slate 500 because the 500's native resolution won't support Metro while the Touchpad's will. Plenty of people have the Developer Preview running on the HP Slate and it is possible to get Metro to work on it because it can emulate 1024x768 though it's native resolution is the netbook standard 1024x600. I'll probably upgrade my HP Slate when the Windows 8 Beta comes out as I'm hearing that the machine is considerably faster with 8 though there's a number of driver issues in the DP.

Windows 8 is a game changer. Here's why, the Windows Store and Metro. All Metro apps can run on ARM, x86, desktops, laptops and tablets using mice, keyboards, touch and pens. Hate the new Start Screen and Metro all you want, even if Windows 8 is a sales flop and sells as many units as Vista, which I think is a worst case scenario, Windows 8 instantly becomes the fastest growing "tablet" OS out there and in a year would surpass iOS and Android combined on devices other than phones. App developers pretty much become compelled to write apps for it by the legions and it's why Microsoft doesn't want the option to turn off Metro in Windows 8 for ANYONE if it is humanly possible. Of course Microsoft knows that this will piss some people off, but Windows owns the desktop already and no one is really all that interested in the desktop, it is ALL about tablets for the foreseeable future beyond phones.

It's a great and logical strategy, not perfect but there simply isn't a better way for Microsoft to instantly become the major force in tablets by getting the massive developer attention from all those Windows 8 machines of which any regardless of shape and size can will be able to run Metro apps.

Anyone that bitches about Metro falls into one of 2 categories. Likes to bitch about everything microsoft does, or is mentally retarded. Some might fall into both. So either way it doesn't matter what they do they are going to piss those people off, so no need to worry about them.

If the discontinued WebOS Touchpad was slow before, it will be a sloth under Win8.

By the way, where is the second round of Touchpad's they promised to release by October?

Anyone that bitches about Metro falls into one of 2 categories. Likes to bitch about everything microsoft does, or is mentally retarded. Some might fall into both. So either way it doesn't matter what they do they are going to piss those people off, so no need to worry about them.

Can't really argue with you there. The controversy of the Start Menu reminds me a whole lot of the ribbon and people saying that the ribbon would drive people to OpenOffice and other productivity suites in droves, and now Office 2010 with that same ribbon has gone one to be the biggest success in Office history.

Microsoft makes a lot of mistakes but every now and then, when it REALLY matters they hit them out the park. Windows 8 could prove to be a disaster with all that has to be done but if Microsoft executes well it has game changer potential.

If the discontinued WebOS Touchpad was slow before, it will be a sloth under Win8.

By the way, where is the second round of Touchpad's they promised to release by October?

Coo, so you've seen Windows 8 run on ARM? Cause it looks like as far as x86 devices goes even the developer preview is outperforming Windows 7, especially on lower end devices.

Someone wanted WebOS and Apotheker out, and Microsoft and Miss eBay! Meg Whitman in.

Someone wanted WebOS and Apotheker out, and Microsoft and Miss eBay! Meg Whitman in.

I think it was more like someone actually wanted to sell stuff. I think the HP Slate sold almost as well as the Touchpad before the price drop, that simply wasn't going to work out. Regardless of what HP decides to do with it's PC business, it's going to need Windows 8 tablets particularly ARM based ones. I think Windows 8 ARM tablets are going to sell like crazy next year assuming they are priced in line with Android devices and the iPad, which there's little doubt that will be. They will be the new hot thing and that seems to drive a lot of initial tablet sales particularly outside of the iPad space and assuming that there's a ton of decent apps out on the store and from the rumors that are going around Microsoft is pushing HARD on that front. Indeed I'm hearing that there are going to be Windows 8 ARM tablets for sale running the beta as soon as January.

HP could make a hell of lot more money selling the Touchpad with just the Windows 8 beta than they can with webOS, assuming that Windows 8 can run well on them.

I think it was more like someone actually wanted to sell stuff. I think the HP Slate sold almost as well as the Touchpad before the price drop, that simply wasn't going to work out. Regardless of what HP decides to do with it's PC business, it's going to need Windows 8 tablets particularly ARM based ones. I think Windows 8 ARM tablets are going to sell like crazy next year assuming they are priced in line with Android devices and the iPad, which there's little doubt that will be. They will be the new hot thing and that seems to drive a lot of initial tablet sales particularly outside of the iPad space and assuming that there's a ton of decent apps out on the store and from the rumors that are going around Microsoft is pushing HARD on that front. Indeed I'm hearing that there are going to be Windows 8 ARM tablets for sale running the beta as soon as January.

HP could make a hell of lot more money selling the Touchpad with just the Windows 8 beta than they can with webOS, assuming that Windows 8 can run well on them.

You are absolutely right that they will make a lot more money selling these dumb-pads to semi-morons. There also will not be an alternative tablet os.

You are absolutely right that they will make a lot more money selling these dumb-pads to semi-morons. There also will not be an alternative tablet os.

They are crap, so I've heard from MANY people who've bought it. How they will run a NEWER OS with more fancy addons, without lagging out, is going to be, well, close to impossible.

They are crap, so I've heard from MANY people who've bought it. How they will run a NEWER OS with more fancy addons, without lagging out, is going to be, well, close to impossible.

my touchpad is quite snappy with even the supposedly unstable alpha version of cyanogenmod 7....

with the updates that webos has been pushing out, the performance there has increased as well...

it's far from a "slow" tablet... there were some verbose logging going on at release that made everything slowdown a bit, but as far as pure horsepower is concerned, the touchpad is nothing to scoff at...

my touchpad is quite snappy with even the supposedly unstable alpha version of cyanogenmod 7....

with the updates that webos has been pushing out, the performance there has increased as well...

it's far from a "slow" tablet... there were some verbose logging going on at release that made everything slowdown a bit, but as far as pure horsepower is concerned, the touchpad is nothing to scoff at...

yeah, I see you hacked it like most people whom bought it, but I am trying to factor in the many people who have no clue about these mods.... the people who run stock, you know? I've heard from many unbiased people who played with it stock (who felt "buyers remorse") but I've also heard a bunch of people like you who claim it'll run just fine as long as you put on the right software mods.

Who am I to believe? lol. I had the damn thing in my cart too at the B&Noble online store... should have snagged it! :eek:

yeah, I see you hacked it like most people whom bought it, but I am trying to factor in the many people who have no clue about these mods.... the people who run stock, you know? I've heard from many unbiased people who played with it stock (who felt "buyers remorse") but I've also heard a bunch of people like you who claim it'll run just fine as long as you put on the right software mods.

Who am I to believe? lol. I had the damn thing in my cart too at the B&Noble online store... should have snagged it! :eek:

The latest update so far seems even more snappy then the previous one I had that was overclocked to 1.2 GHz. WebOS is far from slow in my opinion. I have not used other tablets, but my experience with iOS 4 and 5 on my iPhone seems to have about the same speed for general stuff in the UI and internet browsing.

Employee purchase took care of a lot of that WIP inventory. ;)

It's worth noting there is no Windows 7 TouchPad, that I'm aware of. It's called the HP Slate 500, if I remember correctly.

...or did they develop a new piece of hardware that they are calling "TouchPad" as well?

you may have missed the second half of my post there... even with the stock updates with 0 "mods", it runs quite well, as others in the thread have noted...

It's worth noting there is no Windows 7 TouchPad, that I'm aware of. It's called the HP Slate 500, if I remember correctly.

...or did they develop a new piece of hardware that they are calling "TouchPad" as well?

I've forgotten it had a different name. The Slate is what I meant to say. It'd be interesting if HP actually meant the TouchPad as opposed to the Slate.

I've forgotten it had a different name. The Slate is what I meant to say. It'd be interesting if HP actually meant the TouchPad as opposed to the Slate.

Ironically the HP Slate 500 is still available for sale and it lasted a LOT longer than Touchpad. I would love to see HP improve on that device and come up something for Windows 8. The 500 is actually a pretty nice little machine, it has it's flaws but with Windows 8 and some better x86 CPUs out and on the way the 500 could be dramatically improved. I've not updated my 500 yet to Windows 8 but I'm hearing that Windows 8 substantially improves the 500's performance over 7.

you may have missed the second half of my post there... even with the stock updates with 0 "mods", it runs quite well, as others in the thread have noted...

I agree. I've had a Touchpad since day 1 of the firesale, loved it from the get go and never felt it was slow. Under much duress I "hacked" mine and was amazed how much faster it got. With this new update HP sent out I think last week blew me away by how much faster it got.

WebOS has a few glitches that bug me on the web browser but there are very few that I can't find a workaround for.

I would rather it be the Atom version. Yes Windows 8 runs on ARM, but your programs won't. What good is windows without programs? I would like to see a slate that would run all my windows program.

Why would they not run?
That makes zero sense.

The OS sits on top of the hardware, and the software on top of the OS.

I can run almost all of the same programs from the PPC version of Ubuntu as I can on the x86 version of Ubuntu.

Why would it not be the same for Win8?

Back