BitTorrent Admins Charged in Billion Dollar Piracy Case

HardOCP News

[H] News
Holy cow, these two better hope they don't have to pay $1.25B in restitution! :eek:

After anti-piracy investigators somehow managed to obtain a full copy of their site logs several years ago, a married couple behind the now defunct Interfilm BitTorrent tracker have finally been charged for their role in running the site. The Moscow pair face claims they cost movie companies a staggering $1.25 billion. Fines and possible jail sentences of up to six years await them.

you know, lawyers, corporations, and whoever else are going to keep pushing and pushing to the point where they charge the wrong person someday and it's going to get violent.

Personally I'm okay with that -- any system that wants to ruin my life and put me in jail for downloading a movie, all while drunk drivers, pedophiles, and politicians kill/molest/rob this country blind breeze through the judicial system laughing all the way. It's a system that's broken and I want to see it fall.

There are much much bigger problems out there we need to focus our attention on, but since people want an easy buck, here we are.

meanwhile a pedophile gets 1-2 years or walks free.

Since when? Most pedophiles get 10-30 years depending on the severity or the content of the CP. Actual child predators are pretty much branded for life and most get 25+.

Since when? Most pedophiles get 10-30 years depending on the severity or the content of the CP. Actual child predators are pretty much branded for life and most get 25+.

97% of people who quote stats made them up...

Are the movie companies factoring the supposed loss of revenue including the ludicrous price of popcorn/drinks/candy at a theater in that amount or something? Jeesh...

Hey, if you have not figured it out by now, life is a comedy. Literally. These days, you could not make some of the issues up. So far beyond wtf it is .....

They should have sued them for a hundred million billion dollars. screw this 1.5 billion dollar stuff. And while they are at it they should also sue computer manufacturers and internet providers for enabling the technology that allowed these movies to be downloaded.

I bet they actually lost $1.25

Where does the media industry come up with these insane losses?

They should have sued them for a hundred million billion dollars. screw this 1.5 billion dollar stuff. And while they are at it they should also sue computer manufacturers and internet providers for enabling the technology that allowed these movies to be downloaded.

You forgot the companies that made the routers the packets flowed through, the companies that provide the wires and fiber optics that connected everything, and even the power company for providing the electricity to run everything used to commit this piracy.

drevil.jpg

Wait, they were running a TRACKER, a search engine, not actually sharing the files. How can they be liable at ALL?

I just don't get why anyone would opperate a tracker, or try to facilitate piracy.
They went to all this effort for what? A billion dollar fine?
What were they hoping to acomplish?

This is why I don't use the "big names" in T0rrenting.... you want to blend in, not stick out.

BitTorrent and sites like TPB certainly "stick out" to the wrong people right away, so its best to avoid those

why the fuck would they even THINK of keeping a log for that site? fucking retards, just like the people who started this "billion dollar" case that will never, ever get paid. They HAVE NO MONEY, thats a BIG REASON they do what they do..... so what are they going to take from these Russians? Their house? Their paycheck? They should just move to another random country, and avoid the whole thing :)

They werent actually charged 1.23B, that is only what the studios said they were owed. The article states at the bottom what they were actually charged with:
"Confirming their indictments, Deputy Prosecutor General Viktor Grin said the Lopukhovs are accused of committing crimes under Part 3 of Article 146 of the Criminal Code. While the charges carry a fine of only 500,000 rubles (around $16,200), the pair could be sentenced to a maximum of 6 years in jail. A trial date has not yet been set."

What the fucking MPAA does not get is that by stopping piracy, they are only going to increase demand by less than 2%. For those who don't know is that Demand is when someone actually buys a product, not when someone "wants" it. I still bellieve that most of the piracy today is becasue the products are not worth the money to most of these people and would not buy it other wise. The other group of pirates download because they simply don't have the money at the current time and cannot wait until payday.

not in canada... pedophile gets near to nothing.

They werent actually charged 1.23B, that is only what the studios said they were owed. The article states at the bottom what they were actually charged with:
"Confirming their indictments, Deputy Prosecutor General Viktor Grin said the Lopukhovs are accused of committing crimes under Part 3 of Article 146 of the Criminal Code. While the charges carry a fine of only 500,000 rubles (around $16,200), the pair could be sentenced to a maximum of 6 years in jail. A trial date has not yet been set."

Thank you for the clarification. Because common sense says anyone charged with over a billion in theft would be getting life, not 6 years max.

I have to say...this is something that sounds like it might set a precedence. Which is sad. regardless if you think it's right or wrong to host a tracker.

I bet they actually lost $1.25

Where does the media industry come up with these insane losses?

I think its along the lines of...
Work out how much you plan to bribe to your favourite political party with and multiply by 50.

^Reading that makes me think.

Maybe they really did lose that much money. They lose that much money by paying who ever it is that is doing all this shitty work, and bribing officials, then the time they have lost because they spent it bitching and moaning. Not to mention the damage to their psychology, I mean, that's how most lawsuit ends up being so high. People getting scarred mentally right?

So you know what... 1.25 billion doesn't sound too far off when you factor all that in.

Back