Need Advice: Got Hardware, Now What?!

starhawk

[H]F Junkie
Hey, guys. Need some advice here. I'm putting this here because I don't know where else to put it, quite honestly...

I have craptons of hardware. The local computer shop (well, the better of the two) has given me basically everything they can't use. I'll start taking proper inventory in a few minutes, but suffice to say this stuff is literally clogging up a room, to the point of almost filling it.

I've got laptops, desktops, and parts galore. I have enough power supplies (mostly Dell) to last me the rest of my life. I have motherboards (split about 60-40 between s370 and s462) and enough chips to populate most of them. I've enough PS/2 keyboards to flood eBay and enough PS/2 mice to make my cat scarred for life. I have a truly sheepish amount of SDRAM (PC1xx). I have more old video and sound cards than I can even count, all of them old AGP.

I also have a two drawer file cabinet of hard drives. The top drawer is 10+ gig and the bottom drawer is under 10 gig. Considering how full the drawers are, I've probably got at least a couple terabytes.

I also have some networking stuff, but TBH networking is a real weak point for me, so I don't know what I have, really. I know that I've got a bunch of 3com ethernet hubs (3x 5port, 1x 16port, and something big, beige, and rackmount called a Super Stack II)... and I've got an offbrand (I think) five port hub, and a Hawking 16port switch... I think I have enough cables to string 'em all together. I've also got somewhere north of 30 PCI ethernet cards, and probably double that in dialup modems.

I also have what my friend *thinks* is a phone server. What we know is that it's a beige AT box with a keyboard port (smiley), a VGA port, a dialup modem (!) and six phone ports (2 on one card and 4 on another). It also has some sort of hardware access-control thingy -- looks like a parallel port genderchanger with a battery door. The sticker on the front of the case reads "Key Voice". Quite honestly, I've no clue WTF it is.

OK, having said (sorta) what I've got, I'm trying to figure out WTF to do with it all. Yes, I could sell it, and make a TON of money, but that's not it to me -- besides, I really don't think there's more than a few people here interested in the s370 stuff, which is the majority of what I've got. I will mention that I have almost no money, but as I'm unemployed, I also have craptons of time, and I know that if I throw enough time at it, I can probably do some good stuff here.

OK, [H], give me suggestions :D I'm all ears...

Inventory the stuff, group similar pieces into bulk packages, sell bulk packages on Ebay (or offload to an Ebay seller to sell on your behalf), and use the income toward purchasing modern hardware.

You may want to keep a few select pieces from what you've described, but I think you'll get more enjoyment with the money earned... not to mention reclaiming a currently unusable room!

Thought about that... but I'd only get the money once ;) and I spend money like squirrels eat acorns.

I'm starting to think that, with some help from [H] I could set up a (very) small cloud storage facility here, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it... I'd have to change my internet provider to something significantly more expensive, and I'd need to also get some stuff that I *don't* have... lots of battery backups and a hardware firewall, principal among them.

I have a couple of possibilities for where I could put the actual computing stuff if I was gonna do this (old bedroom of mine or an alcove at the top of the stairs) but I'd have to do some serious trading to get what I need -- something I'm more than willing to do if [H] will help.

I'm about to start doing inventory... I'm NOT going to inventory the HDDs or the power supplies just yet, because there's so #@!*ing many of both... but I'll take count of everything else and I'll post it when I'm done.

FWIW, I do *also* need power bricks for one of the 5port 3com hubs and the 16port 3com hub... my friend only gave me two bricks for four hubs, lol, and the 16port uses some sorta funky 4pin DIN connector...

This "Key Voice" box is really f***ing weird. It's got a Socket 3 (!) AT mobo in it, a PCI video card, a dialup modem... and then there's two really strange cards. They're both made by Dialogic; one's a D/41H and the other is a Dialog/4. The D/41H has four RJ11 ports on it (I think) and the Dialog/4 has two. They *look* like regular phone jacks with four wires (six positions, the middle four populated...) -- WTF?!

The video card is the only PCI card (and slot) in the entire system. Everything else is ISA 8 except for the D/41H which is ISA 16... has a Quantum HDD (can't tell what size without pulling the front bezel, which is a real PITA from what I can see) and a floppy drive -- NO optical drive whatsoever. Some sorta DB25 block on the back has two coin batteries in it and the name of some security company I've never heard of... the port that I can see is a male DB25, can't tell if the one in the box is male or fem without pulling the block, which I DO NOT want to do cuz I can't tell what it is. Two COM ports on the back and a smiley keyboard port.

Can post photos if needed.

What IS this thing?

EDIT: bios chip (a socketed DIP :eek: ) is AWARD 486, (c) 1998... holy crap.

Having looked up the cards it seems that box is indeed SOMETHING telephony related. I'd guess probablly running a computerised phone menu or something like that.

The device hanging off the back sounds like a paralell port based copy protection dongle for whatever software the box was running.

That stuff is too old to be useful. You could build your "cloud" servers and take up the entire room for half the computing power of a modern box.

Sell it. Sell it as fast as you can while it's still worth anything at all. There is a reason the shop dumped it on you.

Wow, *someone* moved my cheese. Hope the thread doesn't get autolocked as a result... I *know* it doesn't go here...

Crosshairs, or the rest o' ya'll, if you see this, could you gimme a little while to try and get it put back where it belongs before you put the ol' padlock (badlock?) on here? Thanks!

EDIT: Crosshairs, ygpm regarding this. Everyone else: this should get moved back to GenHW pretty soon, I think... sorry for the mess.

EDIT2: Damn you guys are fast. Thanks!

Last edited:
Here's the CPUs and motherboards... all quantities are single except where noted...

Intel CPUs...
Celeron, s370 -- SL4TF, SL3EH, SL3W9
Pentium 3, s370 -- SL3XY, SL4C8, SL5GN, SL3XX
Celeron, s478 -- SL6ZY
Pentium 4, s478 -- SL6WJ, SL5UK, SL5TK
Pentium M, s479 -- SLA9S

AMD CPUs...
Athlon XP, s462 -- A1000AMT3C, AX1700DMT3C, AX1800DMT3C [3x], AX1900DMT3C, AXDA200DUT3C, AXDA2200DKV3C, AXDA2600DKV3D [2x]
Athlon 64, s939 -- ADA4000DKA5CF

Full ATX Motherboards, s370...
ASUS TUSL2 [2x, 1 damaged]
Dell A10385-407 [requires Dell PSU]

Micro ATX Motherboards, s370...
MEW-VM [2x, manuf. unk.]
TUW-AM [manuf. unk.]
Compaq TR100
Gateway 4000757
Trigem Cognac+ [2x, eMachines boards]
Trigem Cognac [model unk., "COG-C.2" on BIOS IC]
Trigem Cognac [model unk., "COGNACF" on BIOS IC]
Intel CA810e Desktop Board [looks a lot like Dell to me...]
MSI MS-6390 v.30B

Micro ATX Motherboards, s478...
eMachines P35-141-1FA9 [not compat. w/ P-M CPUs!]

Full ATX Motherboards, s462...
MSI K7T266 PRO v.1.0
Shuttle AK31 v.2.0
Shuttle AK11 v.3.2
ASUS A7V8X
ASUS A7V266-E
PCChips M811 v.3

Micro ATX Motherboards, s462...
ASUS A7V8X-LA [came from an HP]

Micro ATX Motherboards, s754
FIC K8MC51G [no proc for this board]

Micro ATX Motherboards, s939
BioStar CRU51M9

EDIT: forgot to mention... I actually have two other s370 CPUs that I did not include because I can't figure out how to get the #@&$ing HSFs off without destroying the procs in the process... bastards tended to use really sticky thermal goop back then, as in I've destroyed 4 procs already trying to do the same. DAMN that stuff sticks hard after a few years :eek: if it's not just epoxy...

Last edited:
Well, I wasn't gonna run them all at once... that would scorch my roof off :eek:

I was more thinking running a few P3/Celery3 or AthXP boxes, each stocked to the gills with HDDs... I wouldn't trust the sub-10gig drives for this, but the 20+ gig drives should be perfect. Of course I'll use some as spares rather than as main drives, and I'll have to figure out IDE RAID for backup type stuff (I think)...

About to do the networking gear... except dialup cards...

EDIT: I do have PCI IDE expansion cards. 5 of them... all but one have two ports; that other one has three, but the third is out the bracket on the back...

Do you only have laptop parts or actual full-on laptops?

Both, oddly enough... I've torn apart something like 5 very dead laptops... what I don't have in almost every case is power bricks, though :rolleyes: the guy who owns the shop probably has an iGO and every tip known to man... the only exceptions are a thinkpad charger (bought it myself on ebay) and a Dell P3 laptop that I have like 3 chargers for, except that it's the only laptop with that tip :mad: gaahhh...

I also only have a handful of laptop hard drives. Two are 40gb, one is 30gb, one is 12gb, and the fourth is a Conner CP2121 which I'm considering donating to the Smithsonian... it's that damn old.

I'd like to sell (or trade for stuff I can use) most of the laptops... but my FS thread hasn't seen much activity... i.e. I've gotten ONE serious offer.

EDIT: D'oh! I can list the laptops I have (minus the thinkpads, no way I'm getting rid of those) in a little bit. I've got a few thousand ethernet cards to inventory first...

That wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be... here's the networking stuffs...

Hubs...
3Com Super Stack II (24 ports :eek: although I'm not sure if it's really supposed to be rackmount...)
3Com OfficeConnect Dual Speed Hub 5
3Com OfficeConnect Ethernet Hub 4
3Com OfficeConnect Hub/8TPO
3Com OfficeConnect Dual Speed Hub 16
Hawking PN236ES 16 Port Switch
Linksys NH1005 5 Port Hub

I'll note that I only have two power bricks for the first 3 3Com OfficeConnect hubs, and the Dual Speed Hub 16 takes a funky 4pin DIN power connector that I don't have anywhere... also no brick for the Hawking switch...

Ethernet cards...
CNet/Davicom PRO200WL [2X]
3Com EtherLink XL PCI [4X]
3Com Fast EtherLink XL PCI
3Com EtherLink 10/100 PCI [2X]
??? GQ968 [RTL8139D IC]
??? ENL832-TX+ [RTL8139C IC]
Linksys LNE100TX [4X]
Linksys "Network Everywhere" NC100 [4X]
Dynex[?] DX-101
Compaq #5F01C4
Compaq #D1074 [2X]
Compaq #169849-001
IBM EtherJet PCI Adapter
OvisLink LFE-8139ATXC
Netgear FA311 REV.B1
Netgear FA310TX [DEC IC :eek: ]
Focus Networks FO-065-2800R

Laptops... notes and all, copied from the FS thread...
Compaq Presario 2200 (HP # HSTNN-Q09C). Missing screen, WiFi Card, HDD Caddy. Has battery.
Dell Inspiron 600m. Missing WiFi Card, HDD Caddy, and battery.
Dell Inspiron 5160. Missing screen. Has battery, WiFi Card, and HDD Caddy.
Dell Latitude C840. Missing 4 keys on keyboard, WiFi Card. Has battery and HDD Caddy.
Sony VAIO PCG-FX140 (label on back reads PCG-954A). May have HDD under keyboard, it sure as heck isn't on the back. Does not appear WiFi capable internally, has battery.
Sony VAIO PCG-F430 (label on back reads same). May have HDD under keyboard, it sure as heck isn't on the back. Not WiFi capable internally. Has battery. Really feeping old.
Compaq EVO N610c. Has WiFi Card. No battery or HDD Caddy. Can't seem to find the RAM access, may be under keyboard. Have two of these, only difference is that one has a broken lid-latch.
HP Pavilion ze4560us. Has battery. No WiFi Card, or HDD Caddy.
Dell Inspiron 1150. Has battery, WiFi Card, and HDD Caddy.
IBM ThinkPad R40 Type 2682. Has battery, WiFi Card, and (slightly loose) HDD Caddy.
Sony VAIO PCG-GRZ610 (label on back reads PCG-8L3L). Has battery and HDD Caddy. No WiFi Card slot.
Toshiba Satellite A75-S206. Has battery, WiFi Card, and HDD Caddy. Feeping humongous.
Toshiba Satellite A15-S129. Has battery, WiFi Card, and (loose) HDD Caddy.
Gateway 600YGR. Has battery. No WiFi Card or HDD Caddy. Feeping humongous.

...and one that hasn't made it on there yet (just got it yesterday)...
Dell Inspiron 8100. Has battery, modem, and (loose) HDD Caddy. Heavy like a Buick.

Should I list the amalgamated parts as well?

Pity that dialup modems don't make good road surfacing material, 'cuz I'd have like 10mi of the stuff (at least) if they did...

PCI Modems...
Conexant H50003
HP 5188-2907
HP 5188-2898
HP 5187-5216 [2X]
HP[?] 5187-4317 [3X]
HP[?] 5185-0414
HP[?] 5185-4869
HP[?] 5184-3903
Compaq[?] 272360-001
Compaq 239887-002
Compaq 239887-004
USR 3094.3095
USR 5670 [2X]
USR 5660A [3X]
USR 5660A [4X W/O BRKT]
USR 5610-VAR-20
USR 5610B [2X]
Gateway 6001761
SMART Modular Tech. 90109-2 [2X]
SMART Modular Tech. 90079-2
??? FM-3956
??? FM0-EL-000V92LU [AGERE IC]
??? GQ968 [W/SND]
??? Riptide PC80079 [W/SND]
??? MR560LPM [AMR/CNR]
??? MW560CI
??? ENF656-PCI-INPR [W/SND]
??? 56PSV-A-W
ONSpeed HSP56 MicroModem
AOpenFM56-SVV [4X]
Computer Peripherals, Inc. CommCenter 33.6 [ISA]
Cyber Solutions Corp. FB PCTEL AMR [AMR/CNR]
Acer/SpeedCom HPI56M3
GVC F1156I/R12
GVC F-1156IV/R9
GVC SF-1156IV/R9E [2X]
GVC D-1156IV/P2
CIS TECH INC M1-5614PM3
Conexant RD01-D850 [6X]
Conexant RD01-D270
AZTech MDP3900V-U(B)
LITE-ON CNR002(#)/A1B [AMR/CNR]
Intel 537EPU[?]
Diamond Multimedia 22680001-003 [2X]
Diamond Multimedia F-1156I(+)/R12 [2X]
Hiro, Inc. H23534

Laptop Modems...
Dell 9X163 [Proprietary]
IBM 08K3252 [Mini-PCI]

PCI Wireless Cards...
TrendNet TEW-423PI(CA)
TrendNet TEW-423PI/A [2X]
Belkin F5D7000 V.5100
Netgear MA311 V.A1

Laptop Wireless Cards...
Dell 0U2027 [Intel WM3A2100]
IBM 91P7266 [Intel WM3B2100]
IBM 91P7301 [Atheros IC]
HP 7F04C4 [BCM 4306]
Absolutely Unknown (No Make/Model Listed) [RTL8187B IC, PCIe Mini Card]

I need to go to bed now. It's ~1:30 AM here and I feel :eek: holy crap tired...

Night ya'll, I'll be back sometime tomorrow.

I have one of those 24 port SuperStack IIs. It was awesome 6 or 7 years ago when I was hosting/going to LAN parties. I think it's just 10BASE-T but still alright if bandwidth and collisions aren't a concern.

Was out all day today and gotta be tomorrow as well >.< damn I hate doc appts... oh well, necessary stuff even tho it's not nearly as helpful as I'd like in my case... gaaaah.

While out, I was able to make contact with a company that actually sells telephony stuff. That Key Voice box is a voicemail system -- not something I can use right now! Should I part it out, save it for "someday", or try to sell it as-is?

Regarding the Super Stack II, don't know if it helps, but here's the info off the system...

Super Stack II Dual Speed Hub 500
Bottom sticker sez it's P/N 1661-110-000-8.01

Five ports in the back, namely: power (standard PC plug), something weirdass labeled RPS, a COM port, and what LOOK like a pair of SCSI connectors -- one female then one male. Weirdass RPS port has a big circular connector, then 2x5 staggered pins, then two more big circular connectors, all in something that's about the shape and size of a DB25 Parallel connector... WTF?

Gonna inventory keyboards/mice next. Also, got a pair of Harman Kardon HK-195 speakers... holy crap these things are amazing. I don't have ANYTHING in my house with bass like this :eek: They're beige, ugly, and unassuming... but turn 'em on and DAMN HOLY **** MAN THATS SOME SOUND.

Here's the keyboards and mice that I have (can anyone help match keyboards/mice to wireless recievers...?)

PS/2 Keyboards...
Dell AT101W [3X]
Dell QUIETKEY SK-1000RE
Dell QUIETKEY SK-8000
Dell QUIETKEY RT7D5JTW
Dell SK-8110
Dell #04N454
Dell #04N454 [DAMAGED]
Dell #07N242
Gateway G9900H
Gateway SK-2800C
Gateway SK-9920
KeyTronic E06101DPS2-C
IBM KB-7993
AOpen 90.00029.58B
Acer KB-2971
Acer SK-1688
HP SK-1688
HP SDM4700P
Compaq RT101
Compaq 5187-2154
Genius KWD-701
Logitech "Access Keyboard"

Other Keyboards (incl. Wireless + RX Units)...
Logitech "Internet Navigator Keyboard" - USB
Microsoft Wireless Desktop Keyboard [Beige]
Microsoft Wireless Multimedia Keyboard 1.0A
Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite Keyboard
Microsoft Wireless Desktop Receiver PS/2 Compatible [2X PS/2]
Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Receiver 2.0A [PS/2+USB]

Mice (all 7 of them, thought I had more :eek: )...
Microsoft IntelliMouse Serial Or PS/2 Compatible
Microsoft IntelliMouse 1.1A PS/2 Compatible
Microsoft IntelliMouse 1.2A PS/2 Compatible
Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0
Dell/Logitech M-S34
HP M-S48A [Logitech OEM?]
AOPEN 90.00026.705

Ummm... no. I want to sell as little of this as possible... laptops excepted. I'm far more interested in ways of getting a recurring bit of funds from this stuff than I am in selling it. Selling, right now, is last-resort territory at BEST.

Basically what I'm thinking would be best here is to set up some sort of miniature cloud-storage datacenter. I could set up a box running some sort of "this turns your PC into a hardware firewall!" linux distro. A second box would control what went where (sorta a router functionality, for logins and such). The rest could all be P3 or other crapware boxes, just acting as NAS boxes for people to dump files into. I would DEFINITELY need some power-conditioning stuff for brownouts, blackouts, and general filtering... but other than that, a few miles of ethernet cable (I don't have that much of that :eek: ) and a shelving unit or three... I'm already all set. I could build most of this like tomorrow.

My primary obstacles are (1) I don't yet have the power conditioning hardware, (2) my Internet connection is woefully insufficient and of the wrong type (VZW MiFi 2200 :eek: ), and (3) I know basically crap about networking so I'm gonna need craptons of help with laying out what connects where ethernet-wise. I'd be glad to do HW trades if anyone has a few spare boxes that say APC on the side ;) but you'd have to be local and all that. Alternatively... I could mark all my laptops down (I'd probably get actual money at that point) and then use that capital to buy the UPS units... but I'd rather trade than sell/buy if I can. I trust ya'll folks a lot. Don't get me wrong, Newegg has its place, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay that kinda shipping unless there's just no avoiding it.

That all said, one of the few things that I have a vast surplus of (probably the only thing, other than computer parts) is time. I have almost no money (I usually have less than $20 to spend at any given time) but I can rig stuff pretty damn good if I think about it long enough and experiment... I'm not the brightest candle in the wax factory, but I'm not exactly dim either. I'm also damned persistent. I give stuff a couple of days... a week at most. If I can't get it working at that point, then it's just never going to happen.

So... tell me how I can do this (or if I'm just out of my element as well as my gourd). I'm all ears.

If one of the laptops still have a working battery, power adapter, has a ethernet port, some sort of expansion slot for a ethernet card, can start and work, and has a CPU equal to or greater than a Pentium III, keep one of those for use as your PfSense router. The built-in battery basically serves as a UPS for the router. With the onboard ethernet port and expansion ethernet card, you'll be able to connect your laptop router to the modem and a gigabit switch.

As for your miniature cloud storage datacenter plan, are you fine with the power and heat costs? Also the old age of those parts doesn't give credence to the servers/datacenter/data farm's reliability or stability. Then there's your relatively slow internet. I mean, think about: What exactly will you be getting from doing this miniature cloud storage/datacenter plan that justifies the power, heat, and space costs as well as the dealing with the relatively low reliability/age/stability of those parts?

I know you don't want to sell those parts but the money you could get from selling all those parts could easily provide enough funds for a file server that'll outperform all that hardware combined when it comes to storage. Not to mention use up less power, create less heat, and less space.

I agree with Danny... not really worth creating your mini data center except for the experience, albeit with outdated hardware.

If and when you do decide to sell, I've found it easier to sell such old stuff on craigslist. btw, if those modems have drivers for win7, you'll be able to sell them to htpc peeps who wanna hookup their phoneline to the htpc for caller id.

The internet connection I can fix. We've been looking for an excuse to tell VZW to piss off anyways -- their service is slow and only mildly reliable, and we go through a MiFi every month to month-and-a-half because we put about 32gig through each one every month. (Before you ask: unlimited plan that we're grandfathered into.)

Two of the laptops are P3, the others are all Mobile P4 / P4-M / P-M CPUs. I have enough lappy RAM to stick at least 512 in most of them. I'm thinking of using that Dell Inspiron 8100 (if it still works...) simply because I have three chargers for it... but I've yet to see if it even boots. Guess that's next.

As for PfSense, I've heard mention of it, and I'm looking at the webpage for it now... I don't know much about Unix type stuff (BSD is Unix, right?)... how much command line crap do I have to know, and is it bash (isn't that just linux?) or something else? Looks like it can do everything but make pizza...

EDIT: learning ain't everything, but it's a lot. One of the mindsets one gets when in the kind of poverty I'm in is "OK, I have _____, now what can I do with it?" As in: you work with what you already have, not what you can get if you sell it.

That dell has a P3M 1ghz CPU and 512 RAM. Is that enough?

Also, gonna see if I can find a battery that works, since I think the current one in it is shot -- won't even recognize in BIOS... also gotta find a working optical drive for it, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem...

EDIT: found a working batt. Now for the ODD...

EDIT2: PfSense downloading... ODD found (I think)... is a 12gig HDD big enough for this thing? I also have a 30gig and a pair of 40s...

Last edited:
Oh derp. Went and looked at the min req for PfSense... yah 12gb is big enough.

Anyone know of something like Memtest86+ for HDDs? The one I've got is a Hitachi DK23AA-12 12.07GB drive... it makes an "I've got a loose screw somewhere!" sound when I gently shake it tho and I'm not sure it's still in functioning condition...

If all else fails, IIRC I've got a P3 Gateway somewhere that I can pull the (same size) drive from...

EDIT: no I can't... forgot that that drive is missing pins and got thrown out as a result >.<

Last edited:
Goldarnit, what the crap use is a 500mb *.img file?! That's fer FLOPPY DISKS DAMMIT!!

Oh well, at least I found the 97mb ISO after I went back... *sigh* that's a special kinda special...

The internet connection I can fix.
EDIT: learning ain't everything, but it's a lot. One of the mindsets one gets when in the kind of poverty I'm in is "OK, I have _____, now what can I do with it?" As in: you work with what you already have, not what you can get if you sell it.

Ok, you still haven't answered my main questions:
1) Are you fine with the power and heat costs?
2) What exactly will you be getting from doing this miniature cloud storage/datacenter plan that justifies the power, heat, and space costs as well as the dealing with the relatively low reliability/age/stability of those parts?

I simply don't see why you're sticking with that old hardware when you can easily sell them, make more money, and get better, faster, and more reliable parts
As for PfSense, I've heard mention of it, and I'm looking at the webpage for it now... I don't know much about Unix type stuff (BSD is Unix, right?)... how much command line crap do I have to know, and is it bash (isn't that just linux?) or something else? Looks like it can do everything but make pizza...
BSD is Unix. You have to know a decent amount of command line (or at least know how to google for instructions). Bash is for Linux, BSD, and Darwin

That dell has a P3M 1ghz CPU and 512 RAM. Is that enough?
Yes
O
Anyone know of something like Memtest86+ for HDDs? The one I've got is a Hitachi DK23AA-12 12.07GB drive... it makes an "I've got a loose screw somewhere!" sound when I gently shake it tho and I'm not sure it's still in functioning condition...

[Testing the Hard Drive]
Download the CD image of Hitachi Drive Fitness Test, burn the ISO file to a CD, and then boot from it, just like you would do with the XP/Vista install CD. Test the hard drive and see if any problems are found. DFT will run on most manufacturers' hard drives. Alternatively, you can use Seagate's SeaTools for DOS to test a Seagate or Maxtor drive. For a Western Digital drive, you could use Data Lifeguard Tools for DOS to test a Western Digital drive. For a Samsung drive, you could use Samsung's ES-Tool.

Sorry... just get caught up in other stuff. To answer you...
(This doesn't sound like an answer at first but stick with me...) My house is really big and kinda special in terms of heating and cooling. We have a 4000 sq. ft. house in the middle of NC (geographically, almost literally -- the Asheboro Zoo is the geographic exact center of the state and we're less than an hour east of there) but we only have central cooling -- the dunce who put in our heatpump took us for a ride... one of the things he was going to "come back and finish" (like four years and $3k ago :eek: ) was the heat part, because it was installed in the middle of summer. So we have NO HEAT other than space heaters (mostly fair sized radiator-style ones) and a woodstove that cooks Mom's lungs about as well as it heats our house (she doesn't have asthma, but she does have weak lungs because her parents chainsmoked the first ~20yrs of her life -- hard to imagine, but it was once a very fashionable thing to have a smoldering pipe in one's mouth at all times...).

Even better... when my father and some friends of the family put the second floor on, well, it was the late 70s early 80s and air conditioners back then were one floor only. There wasn't a fan in America strong enough to sit in our basement and push lovely cool air up to the 2nd floor... so the solution was the labor-saving option of not even running ducts up there, and just using fans in summer. Of course this was when summers were about 5-10deg F cooler than they are now...

That said... in winter, I can use our collection of (like four or five) box fans to both heat the house and cool this setup at the same time... should lower the costs of heating, since I can't imagine that this pile of electronics will pull the same as five 1500W heaters plus the 900W in the (only working) bathroom... that said, summer will be a pain in the @$$ to deal with because it gets OMGF*CKINGHOT up there. July and August make our upstairs suitable for baking bread :eek: well, I exaggerate, but you get the point. It's hot up there, ya'll.

Got an answer to that, too. Our house is laid out with a big hall at the front that goes parallel to the front door... big windows on either side of the door, too. We used to have a ginormous fecking tank of a window AC unit, which we used with cardboard baffles and the above-mentioned fans to move cold air (really tepid air) around the house to make it slightly tolerable. We still have the unit; it almost certainly needs a recharge, considering it's gone like two years now taking up space on the porch, but I have someone I can ask about that. Fun fact: it had so many damn lights and buttons on the front of it that I started calling it "Captain Kirk's AC" because it looked like it belonged on the bridge of the Enterprise.

As for what I get out of it... heat in winter, knowledge in my head, and a little bit o' cash. Right now, my mother and I live on (not kidding) less than $1300 a month, the vast majority of which is either Mom's disability check or Food Stamps. It's painfully hard to go to Wal*Mart and see all the stuff that I know I won't be able to buy for a very, very long time no matter how hard I want it... maybe, just maybe, if I get this going long enough to get a little income out of it, I can afford to upgrade to something stable. In the meantime, I have enough parts here to ensure that I have plenty of spares for days when one box or another has the idonwannawork blues.

Besides, it's not like I'm going to be building this with triode tubes and mercury bubble memory...

Screw loose is probably the arm/head(s), so it may not be parking properly.

One reason we keep saying to sell is because old parts means low reliability. I have no doubt many of those parts are using some of those infamous bad capacitors that were common back then; and if not, they've already aged quite well, so some may already be bulging or just about ready to do so. Yes, it's good to make do with what you got, but that stuff is so old...

Personally, I was in your shoes a few years ago; got a lot of free stuff from companies closing down in '04-'06. I tried to put them to good use. While I enjoyed going through it all, doing inventory, and testing all the parts, I finally got tired of dealing with them because of how unreliable they were. I got rid of most of that stuff from that era back in '08. Whatever I couldn't sell, I finally gave away for free after a year of listing it on CL and the FS/T forums (CL Free stuff section... it'll be gone in seconds).

Good luck to you, and let us know how it goes.

I honestly don't know where I could actually get money for the motherboards (all, with three exceptions, either s370 or s462), procs (all s370, low-end s478, or s462) or the sub-10gb hdds. Nobody WANTS that crap. It's junk to them.

But to me it's not like that. So what if one board goes? I'll have at LEAST a dozen spares. May have to swap out the proc for a different one, but I can do that. Also, the guy who's giving me all this stuff... he's not done. He's giving me some s478 stuff pretty soon, and a whole bunch of (hopefully much better) procs with it.

Besides, as outlined above... I'm poor and unemployed. I don't have much hope of changing that without this stuff. If I can make this cloud storage idea work, and work well enough to earn even $100/mo, that's... that's the difference for us between getting deeper in debt and breaking even. That's hope for us. That gives us a future that we wouldn't have otherwise.

As for when the P4 stuff comes in... if I can get going before I get it, then the P3/AthXP stuff goes out as the P4 stuff comes in. I can probably sell a Large Flat Rate Box full of P3 stuff for $15-20 plus shipping. It's worth about that much (maybe less!). If I sold it all now for that... I'd get less than $1k for it all, plus whatever the laptops sold for. Screw that. I'd rather take a risk. If I blow out a tire 3mo from now, I can still sell everything for about the same -- once it's that old, it's not going much lower in value than it already is. Besides, if all else fails, there's an eWaste bin at the local recycling/trash collection center...

Should I start a new thread in Networking/Programming for how to go about building this, or repurpose this thread for it, here? I don't hardly know crap about networking...

OK, having said (sorta) what I've got, I'm trying to figure out WTF to do with it all. Yes, I could sell it, and make a TON of money, but that's not it to me.

Do you mean in pennies? That would be the way to get the most weight of money.

My suggestion is that most of its should go to an electronics recycler or trash can.

... I can probably sell a Large Flat Rate Box full of P3 stuff for $15-20 plus shipping. It's worth about that much (maybe less!). If I sold it all now for that... I'd get less than $1k for it all, plus whatever the laptops sold for. Screw that.
Yah, being in SoCal helped me a lot with the sales I guess. I didn't get much for them, but I did donate a lot of the stuff to places that refurb systems for needy fams.
Should I start a new thread in Networking/Programming for how to go about building this, or repurpose this thread for it, here? I don't hardly know crap about networking...
New thread with summary and a link to this should be fine. Too much to read through in this thread to re-purpose it.

EDIT:
Not if I can use it... which is what I'm going to attempt first. You're right that most of this stuff IS worthless crap to most people, but I'm NOT most people and I think I can use it. If I turn out to be fulla crap on that, then at that point it's all going out one way or another.
As I said earlier, more power to ya! I was just trying to let you know my own experience when dealing with nearly the same situation. ;)

Not if I can use it... which is what I'm going to attempt first. You're right that most of this stuff IS worthless crap to most people, but I'm NOT most people and I think I can use it. If I turn out to be fulla crap on that, then at that point it's all going out one way or another.

EDIT: this is @ needmorecarnitine.

well I hope you get some good advice on which stuff is valuable. Good that you listed it all out. I don't think the motherboards will net you anything. Maybe the networking stuff can help you out a bit.

Well good luck with your endeavor.

As Enginurd said, just make a new thread over in the Networking and Security subforum with a link to this thread while asking how exactly to accomplish your goal. Make sure that you're clear cut with your goal.

Back