Battlefield 3 Preview Performance Preview @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Battlefield 3 Preview Performance Preview - Battlefield 3 just landed to excited gamers everywhere today. We've got a preview of performance in single player mode and a look at multiplayer mode. If you are going to be playing this game today, or this week, you will want to give this a read for a preview of what performance to expect.

Nice!!! thanks for this

(i so need a new computer
whyme.gif
)

Do you plan on doing a little testing on some of the older cards? I know its early, but I'm curious to see how it will run on my gtx 295 for example. Most out there aren't sporting gtx 580's

Hopefully AMD can get a driver fix out for the CFX "shuttering" that's not something anyone wants to see :(

Otherwise looking forward to playing later tonight :)

Glad to see its not a rig buster and my trusty 5870 can get the job done.

I've been waiting all morning for you to post a performance review, I knew you were all probably stuck playing... definitely a good sign when you can't pull away! (I was playing too...)

Finally a game that pretty much exceeds my expectations.

Take that Rage, DNF.

Damn, great dedication getting that out already! Really, really disappointed in the CFX stuttering. It confirms what I was feeling on Caspian Border in the beta; I dropped down to 1920x1200, thinking it was FPS lag, but even at 60+ FPS it stuttered horribly, to the extent that it wasn't too much fun to play. Hopefully AMD gets this cleared up quickly.

Thanks for the review. Looks like I'm not the only one dealing with these horrible stutters when walking. Frames are glorious though.

Singleplayer graphics were phenomenal for the record. I love the bright lighting effects used to mimic real sun-light, bright spots of light off of water, or on certain materials, the lens effects, gives it a much more realistic feeling.

Nice work with the quick turnaround on this (p)review.

In some ways I'm glad I wasn't going crazy when I complained about Caspian Border microstuttering at 70 fps with two 6970s. For the most part, though, I'm really disappointed that the issue was not smoothed out by release. The stuttering is worse than any game I've seen and made the beta a real chore sometimes.

For those of you experiencing it, turn your settings down a bit and enable Vsync. For me it completely took away the stuttering as long as the FPS doesn't drop below 60, although now there is a little input lag. I'm going to fire up multiplayer this morning and see if that's manageable.

Very excited to see that my GTX 570 was an excellent choice. Everything on Ultra in MP = WIN! Not bad for $280!

This work day needs to GET OVER RIGHT NOW! Jesus people are leveling up while I am here earning a living. BS!

Ok looks like BF3 isn't an absolute system killer in multiplayer then :) That's very good news!

Agreed. When I ordered my 570 and saw a few reviews and threads talking about multiplayer beta completely DESTROYING people's gtx570 rigs I almost cried. I thought my new card was going to still not get me maxed out (or even close). Glad to be proven wrong here.

I would be curious to hear some discussion with regards to VRAM usage @ eyefinity/surround resolutions if possible. 2560 works too though.

FInally a game worthy of my build!!!! It has been YEARS since I have played a game that would of doen that with my system.

Besides, this game has amazing graphics and is a joy to play. When I was in the middle of a firefight, my system would slow to a crawl for a few seconds when there is heavy fighting.

I am going to bury myself in BF3 this weekend. I am going to see myself pulling some all nighters in the near future...

:confused::confused::confused:

WTF? hehehe sorry dude but this game is played all over the world a great deal, not only on the states... and i know that because i am not from USA :p

/paranoia off!

Then its spreading! Run for your lives! To the caves!

Have yall played with hyperthreading with regards to stutter? Is it on or off for this review?

Very excited to see that my GTX 570 was an excellent choice. Everything on Ultra in MP = WIN! Not bad for $280!

This work day needs to GET OVER RIGHT NOW! Jesus people are leveling up while I am here earning a living. BS!

I dunno about you, but my 570 isn't quite cutting it at 1920x1080 Ultra settings. In MP I do get some noticeable slowdown at times. It's not unplayable, but not what I would call smooth.

By the look of SLI scaling, though, a second one should be very beneficial.

I dunno about you, but my 570 isn't quite cutting it at 1920x1080 Ultra settings. In MP I do get some noticeable slowdown at times. It's not unplayable, but not what I would call smooth.

I got 1 round in before work, but everything was running nicely. I was just basing my assumption of the review posted here....I don't assume much difference with my rig.

These games just train you to view other people as a threat. That's why when you go to the supermarket everyone is giving each other dirty looks and is nervous/unfriendly. Didn't used to be that way in this country and still isn't in most other countries where people are friendly.

:confused: Not sure if serious or kidding? LOL. The same could be said for most horror, crime movies, etc where somebody is a victim. You just have to realize that it's meant to be a game to entertain people. That's all really.:D

My 570s play at 1920 x 1200 @ ultra settings. I never going below 50fps. Definitely worth it.

Just ordered a GTX 570 with next day shipping. Hopefully it'll run smoothly.

PC gaming is taking off again lol :D

Military type games never excite me much, but always great to see advances in graphics like this. Great preview

I'm curious how this runs on a GTX 470.

I bet you can run it on "High" with low FXAA at ~50-60 fps.

This game did not turn out to be the killer of high-end hardware they made it out to be, very happy with the performance I am getting at 2560, especially compared to beta.

Ok I just tried disabling HT, that had no affect, the issue persists, no change. So that didn't fix it.

Thanks for testing that. Marcdaddy had mentioned that it solved his problem on a TriFire setup so I had gotten my hopes up.

Any plans to post some CROSSFIRE+Eyefinity vs SLI+NVSurround data?
I would love to know how 2x 6970's CF would perform @ Eyefinity setup.

Thanks a lot for the review.

I'm curious how this runs on a GTX 470.

Single player has been running without any slow downs on a 470. Max settings, No AA no HASBAO or whatever. With 16xAF. @1080p

I was very pleasantly surprised to find a raw input option for controls. Truly a PC game.

EDIT: Will be trying multiplayer when i get home from work.

Did anyone else enable click for iron sights, not sure if it was new mouse or what, found it hard to hold down.

Last edited:
I had two 570 GTX's and at 2560 x 1600 Ultra setting, AA off, HBAO off, the FPS is 80+ in multiplayer.

Thanks for this.

I play with gtx 580@850/1100 and the game runs good enough but in heavy fight with loots of smoke, explosions etc. framerate drop below 30, 1080p, ultra, 4xaa.

SP 2. level, square fight
2011-10-25 01:04:45 - bf3
Frames: 17044 - Time: 300000ms - Avg: 56.813 - Min: 29 - Max: 93

less demanding level
2011-10-24 21:24:52 - bf3
Frames: 12656 - Time: 199588ms - Avg: 63.411 - Min: 39 - Max: 107

Thanks for this review.

As for the stuttering in CFX, CatalystCreator has said on Twitter that they're investigating the issue. So far the workaround seems to be to just uninstall CAP3 and just use the 11.10 V3 Preview, or install 11.9 and use CAP3. It'd be awesome if you guys could do a comparison and see which nets better numbers and experience.

Also, the Frostbite 2 engine is supposed to take advantage of hyperthreading and be able to span up to 8 threads. I'd also be curious if you could do a run with your 4.8ghz with HT on and OFF and see what kind of numbers it gives, to see if it truly does take advantage of HT.

Thanks for testing that. Marcdaddy had mentioned that it solved his problem on a TriFire setup so I had gotten my hopes up.

No worries, I'm not giving up trying to figure it out, I want to either A.) Find out what is causing it or B.) At least figure out how to eliminate it so CrossFireX users can enjoy the game

Thanks for this review.

As for the stuttering in CFX, CatalystCreator has said on Twitter that they're investigating the issue. So far the workaround seems to be to just uninstall CAP3 and just use the 11.10 V3 Preview, or install 11.9 and use CAP3. It'd be awesome if you guys could do a comparison and see which nets better numbers and experience.

Also, the Frostbite 2 engine is supposed to take advantage of hyperthreading and be able to span up to 8 threads. I'd also be curious if you could do a run with your 4.8ghz with HT on and OFF and see what kind of numbers it gives, to see if it truly does take advantage of HT.

Interesting info, thanks

its nice to see a cutting edge game engine that not only looks absolutely incredible but is well optimized too. its probably still not quite as good as Crysis at simulating a tropical rainforest, but I've had more "OMG WOW" eyepopping graphical moments in three hours of BF3 than I had in all of Crysis. This game is really something else...

But I don't quite get why they'd put so much effort into the graphics to make it more immersive, and then your player character doesn't cast a shadow? le sigh

Back