Google Giving More Data and Transparency Around Government Requests

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google has updated its Government Requests tool with a lot more data, specifically the number of government requests and the exact amount of users or accounts requested. Thanks to TheWeazmeister for the link.

Today we’re updating the Government Requests tool with numbers for requests that we received from January to June 2011. For the first time, we’re not only disclosing the number of requests for user data, but we’re showing the number of users or accounts that are specified in those requests too. We also recently released the raw data behind the requests. Interested developers and researchers can now take this data and revisualize it in different ways, or mash it up with information from other organizations to test and draw up new hypotheses about government behaviors online.

Just, Awesome.

Google will do it, now will the other "fatcats" in internet users?

Facebook??? (hahhaaha, right!)
or Apple? :eek:

What blew me away was the number of requests they complied with to hand over user data requests in the US, 93%. Makes me think law enforcement might actually be only submitting legit request, I hope.

What blew me away was the number of requests they complied with to hand over user data requests in the US, 93%. Makes me think law enforcement might actually be only submitting legit request, I hope.

Google is not an authority on anything. Both law enforcement and Google are violating the 4th amendment. Laws were not originally intended to be enforced aggressively in a hunt-you-down manner, they were intended to be a framework for society so that if something did go wrong there would be legitimate recourse against the perpetrator.

With the abuse of recently invented technology society is turning into an open prison where Google and other giant corporations are the warden and you are the prisoner.

Think Planet of the Apes. It's called "Planet of the Apes" because the people in charge have no humanity :eek:

Google is not an authority on anything. Both law enforcement and Google are violating the 4th amendment. Laws were not originally intended to be enforced aggressively in a hunt-you-down manner, they were intended to be a framework for society so that if something did go wrong there would be legitimate recourse against the perpetrator.

With the abuse of recently invented technology society is turning into an open prison where Google and other giant corporations are the warden and you are the prisoner.

Dont forget that if the government gets the information itself it has a lot more legal problems. By getting Google to collect data for them (and Google does a good job of collecting & linking information) they can do whatever they want and just say "Dont blame us, we didn't collect the data"

Also, law enforcement officials are asking Google to remove things like YouTube videos of police brutality. The very proof of the even happening is being asked to be removed. It lends itself to the question, who is asking to have these removed? Couldn't we consider this "evidence" of a crime being committed that they are trying to brush under the carpet?

"United States

We received a request from a local law enforcement agency to remove YouTube videos of police brutality, which we did not remove."

Yep, good old police state USA. Thank fuck I live in Canada.

Dont forget that if the government gets the information itself it has a lot more legal problems. By getting Google to collect data for them (and Google does a good job of collecting & linking information) they can do whatever they want and just say "Dont blame us, we didn't collect the data"

Yeah! You're right. I didn't even think of that. The bosses of the government and Google are all friends, too. This is some nonsense!:eek:

"United States

We received a request from a local law enforcement agency to remove YouTube videos of police brutality, which we did not remove."

Yep, good old police state USA. Thank fuck I live in Canada.

Gnasher if I illegally immigrate to Canada can I hang out at your house?

Well, it's Big Brother isn't it? I bet anytime something is said about our so called President not even in a threatening the Fed wants to know.

Back