Sprint iPhone 4S Units Have Data Speed Issues?

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you bought a shiny new iPhone 4S from Sprint, you may have gotten more (or less) than you bargained for. Apparently there is a "nationwide issue" with iPhone 4S data speeds but, the good news is, Sprint says it is working on the problem.

Now it seems that an internal email has been sent to Sprint representatives, informing them that Apple and Sprint are working together on a “confirmed nationwide issue” dealing with the slow data rates many users are experiencing. There was no information about what the cause of the issues are or what the expected resolution date might be.

I used to have Sprint, and seeing the speed test there I have to say, Sprint's comment is spot on: "Overall, iPhone performance on the Sprint network is consistent with our expectations and the rest of our high-end portfolio."

Conditions can vary greatly though, 42Kbps wasn't abnormal near my home (and yes, I know the difference between KBps and Kbps so that isn't a typo), but go a little closer to the tower and it would go up to 300Kbps (37.5KBps). I saw somebody with Virgin Mobile actually get 1200Kbps the other day though, so they do seem to be improving since I left them.

Overall I wish I'd known Tmobile was going to offer this $30 prepaid plan with 5GB of HSPA+ speed then unlimited EDGE speed. I went with Verizon a few months ago, and while they're faster than Tmobile (Yeah 33Mbps speed tests on a cell phone network when WiFi gets 12Mbps), have better coverage, etc. they're well over twice as much a month.

I just figured it was my area. I've always had spotty service at my home. I live across the street from the beach and if I go 4 or so blocks inland I get full bars and decent internet speed.

This isn't limited to the iphone. I have the Galaxy S2 on Sprint and the 3g data speeds are horrendously slow. My colleague's 16 month old EVO in a side by side comparison was able to browse the web without issue while my S2 was struggling just to open a web page. And then there's the problem with the S2 losing service altogether and requiring a hard reboot. All kinds of trouble in Sprint land..

If you have spotty service at home, just call them up and ask for a free Airave unit.

If you have spotty service at home, just call them up and ask for a free Airave unit.

They couldn't put the Airave unit on my SERO account, tried twice already, so they gave me $90 in credit.
I already had them put Any 3 Numbers/Any Network on my account for free a couple of years ago which ended up giving me unlimited call since I was able to add my Google Voice number as one of the 3 free numbers. :)
since I have wifi here at home, the slow 3G speeds don't bother me

Ok, quick question on tethering... on the new android phones (like the nexus S).... android has a BUILT-IN wifi hotspot router creator that makes your phone basically "tether and share its internet as a wifi router" -- but sprint wouldn't know about this because its through the phone, and hence should look like all the traffic is going through the phone. RIGHT?

I mean, the only way for them to be able to tell if I am actually using a computer or my phone, is by DEEP INSPECTING my packets, which is invasion of privacy no? I mean, I easily bypassed this "spying" because tmob found out about my UNOFFICIAL pdanet tethering. I found out they looked at the browser "useragent" so I just went and used a useragent CHANGER firefox app, and set my useragent in firefox as an android useragent :D ... fixed that.

But this still concerns me (questions above)... anyone able to clue me in?

my Evo 3d is getting excellent data speeds at the time of this writing, granted I'm on 4G, which you know makes sense cuz its 2011...

Ok, quick question on tethering... on the new android phones (like the nexus S).... android has a BUILT-IN wifi hotspot router creator that makes your phone basically "tether and share its internet as a wifi router" -- but sprint wouldn't know about this because its through the phone, and hence should look like all the traffic is going through the phone. RIGHT?

I mean, the only way for them to be able to tell if I am actually using a computer or my phone, is by DEEP INSPECTING my packets, which is invasion of privacy no? I mean, I easily bypassed this "spying" because tmob found out about my UNOFFICIAL pdanet tethering. I found out they looked at the browser "useragent" so I just went and used a useragent CHANGER firefox app, and set my useragent in firefox as an android useragent :D ... fixed that.

But this still concerns me (questions above)... anyone able to clue me in?

On my bionic, when you activate the wifi tethering it contacts the provider first to determine whether or not to let it turn on. USB tethering works free though.

This is definitely not a problem only on the iPhone, it's a problem with Sprint's network in general. For a very long time now I've been lucky to get anything much higher than dial up speeds both at home and at work (work being in Madison, WI where there should definitely be solid coverage) on my Evo 4G. Sprint tech support was useless in trying to troubleshoot the issue, apparently empathy is an acceptable fix from their point of view. I just got a Galaxy S2 a few days ago, and was hoping speeds would be better, but they are pretty much identical to the speeds I was seeing on the Evo, so it's not the phones, it's the lack of bandwidth on the network.

Chiming in to say that this also happens to Sprint's 3G adapters for computers - USB, PC Card, Express Card, and built-in alike. We use Sprint adapters for our field workers and their connection drops so sporadically and randomly on a daily basis. When it doesn't drop, sites don't work due to DNS or policy issues with Sprint. Running VPN to our company server resolves this connection issue, but the speed and drop issue remains. It's pathetic. I hesitate to switch the whole company over to Verizon or AT&T because I don't want to deal with new unknowns.

I mean, the only way for them to be able to tell if I am actually using a computer or my phone, is by DEEP INSPECTING my packets, which is invasion of privacy no?

Their network. You have no privacy if you are going to use someone else's network. They can inspect and dissect data packets that are on their network.

I noticed users on newer PRL's have slower data speeds than users on older PRL's. I had about 2mb a sec on 3g. I updated and i'm now receiving 25kbps. I was told they're making huge changes to their network to increase data speeds. The newer PRL's are supposed to be ready for those changes, but those changes havent been put into effect yet.

I returned mine. It might possibly be a phone issue, but all I know is voice and data are much better now that I am back on AT&T.

I forgot they also had a data outtage over the weekend in Northern California. All in all they gave no reason to stay.

Chiming in to say that this also happens to Sprint's 3G adapters for computers - USB, PC Card, Express Card, and built-in alike. We use Sprint adapters for our field workers and their connection drops so sporadically and randomly on a daily basis. When it doesn't drop, sites don't work due to DNS or policy issues with Sprint. Running VPN to our company server resolves this connection issue, but the speed and drop issue remains. It's pathetic. I hesitate to switch the whole company over to Verizon or AT&T because I don't want to deal with new unknowns.

The only problems I've run into on Verizon are 1 network problem, and then some billing problems. If LTE drops there is a 20-30 second pause before it re-engages 3G mode where your data stops working, and then it won't go back up to 4G until your phone hasn't used data for awhile (or if you manually put it in airplane mode and back out again). The billing problems are a new surprise each month. Last month it was their system billed me twice for the same period for a calling plan. I contacted them, they acknowledged right away that the system had done that, and issued me a credit. I feel bad for anybody that autopays them though and doesn't look at their bill. (I know some people out there do that)

What did they expect when they suddenly have 100,000's of new data hungry users now. The iPhone brings nothing but trouble wherever it goes.

I remember the good ol days when only business people had smartphones and fast mobile connections :( Regular folks baulked at the $40-60 extra fees. Now it's the norm.

What did they expect when they suddenly have 100,000's of new data hungry users now. The iPhone brings nothing but trouble wherever it goes.

I remember the good ol days when only business people had smartphones and fast mobile connections :( Regular folks baulked at the $40-60 extra fees. Now it's the norm.

Elitist much? :confused:

The iPhone isn't 4G, so what is that article saying? Does the increase 3G usage affect the 4G service?
Its saying that sprint is now CAPPING 4G network access if you tether. (non capped if just on your phone) Some could call it a bait and switch. Its a big deal because one of the big "boasting claims" that Sprint makes all the time is that they dont hard cap like other networks but this is doing just that (while tethering)

Relevance to the iphone = its suggested that that the addition of the iphone has added a large load to their data network (duh, what did they expect?) and thats why they are now capping tethering on 4G.

Its basically punishing the sprint 4G users for the new sprint non 4G iphone users. "The sheep have landed here at sprint so all you using 4G android phones time to make sacrafices (but pay the same bill)"

I have an HTC Arrive on Sprint and my wife has an HTC Trophy on Verizon. Verizon's 3G service is FAR superior everywhere I've compared the two, my wife doesn't even need to use wifi at the house, the 3G is almost as good

Sprint is terrible, It's nothing they can fix. If you want coverage you need AT&T or Verizon sadly, and it should be illegal to charge $100/month for a phone. Think we need a law that limits cell phone bills to no higher than $35/month.

Sprint is complete crap here. Even though our bill nearly doubled we had to switch to Verizon just to be able to make fun calls. WiMax doesn't work inside of a cardboard box and their 3G isn't much better. It has zero penetration and it doesn't matter if I could get a free unit for home because wtf do I need my mobile broadband for at home. I need it when I'm out!

I'm not surprised a bunch of new iPhones would make it even worse. I'm so glad we bailed.

If you bought a shiny new iPhone 4S from Sprint, you may have gotten more (or less) than you bargained for. Apparently there is a "nationwide issue" with iPhone 4S data speeds but, the good news is, Sprint says it is working on the problem.

HAAAA...good luck. Sprint fucking SUCKS. I've been trying to get them to figure out why my 3G speed is 8k-40ishK on the tower that I use (right down the street, verified by the engineer that I talked to) with an average latency of 1900+ ms and...well....2.5 months later, it still takes 2 hours plus to download 20 megs worth of shit from the market, this is using my phone inside and outside.

Meanwhile, I can travel 3 miles, hit another tower...boom 200ish ms latency and 1400 - 1650k down...but "there is no problem in your area sir...blah blah blah...signal propagation..blah blah blah, maybe you should go outside...." also, I can go outside and hit the only 4G node in our area and with a POOR 4G signal I get better throughput then I do with a full 3G signal...hmmm...no problem detected in my area huh?

I'm canceling that suck ass cell service next month, I'd much rather get bent over by Ma-bell with their shitty 2GB data cap....at least it worked.

3248.jpg

http://www.publicradio.org/columns/...rgency-ipad-2-hipster-deployment-station.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCS0fcjaba8

Fort worth - dallas here. Evo 3d. 4g is nearly non existant anywhere i go, usually sits on 1 bar in 4g mode.

3g reception is ok, i can generally use the phone to stream youtube/podccasts.

HAAAA...good luck. Sprint fucking SUCKS. I've been trying to get them to figure out why my 3G speed is 8k-40ishK on the tower that I use (right down the street, verified by the engineer that I talked to) with an average latency of 1900+ ms and...well....2.5 months later, it still takes 2 hours plus to download 20 megs worth of shit from the market, this is using my phone inside and outside.

Meanwhile, I can travel 3 miles, hit another tower...boom 200ish ms latency and 1400 - 1650k down...but "there is no problem in your area sir...blah blah blah...signal propagation..blah blah blah, maybe you should go outside...." also, I can go outside and hit the only 4G node in our area and with a POOR 4G signal I get better throughput then I do with a full 3G signal...hmmm...no problem detected in my area huh?

I'm canceling that suck ass cell service next month, I'd much rather get bent over by Ma-bell with their shitty 2GB data cap....at least it worked.

Say it with me. Free Airave.

Say it with me. Free Airave.

Two words:

FUCK THAT.

Why should I have to use my HOME INTERNET service that oh by the way has a bandwidth cap per month to use my goddamn cellphone? I mean, that is just fucking dumb, if I want to use my phone like that I will just hit the wifi and be done with it...but then again, if I am at home if I am going to use my phone on wifi, then I might as well just use my desktop.

Their network. You have no privacy if you are going to use someone else's network. They can inspect and dissect data packets that are on their network.

That's bullshit, still invasion of privacy.... I am FORCED to use a carrier, as I cannot make my own cell service! Let's be real here

Anyways, isn't this the same as a phone company tapping your phone lines to see what you are doing on it? No difference, its my communication, and they are snooping in on it (either phone tapping, or deep packet inspection)

I call BS, that's just not right, morally..... guess there is always a VPN, right? :eek:

Two words:

FUCK THAT.

Why should I have to use my HOME INTERNET service that oh by the way has a bandwidth cap per month to use my goddamn cellphone? I mean, that is just fucking dumb, if I want to use my phone like that I will just hit the wifi and be done with it...but then again, if I am at home if I am going to use my phone on wifi, then I might as well just use my desktop.

I 100% agree..... I think its either T-mobile or AT&T. They have a "cell tower booster" for your house, THAT DOES NOT REQUIRE home internet. Like WTF is the point, we all know they are just making a wifi connection and using YOUR PERSONALLY PAID FOR home broadband as a VOIP type phone instead of as a cell tower riding phone.

Sprint needs to get with the times, and get a REAL home cell booster technology :rolleyes:

That's bullshit, still invasion of privacy.... I am FORCED to use a carrier, as I cannot make my own cell service! Let's be real here

Anyways, isn't this the same as a phone company tapping your phone lines to see what you are doing on it? No difference, its my communication, and they are snooping in on it (either phone tapping, or deep packet inspection)

I call BS, that's just not right, morally..... guess there is always a VPN, right? :eek:

I 100% agree..... I think its either T-mobile or AT&T. They have a "cell tower booster" for your house, THAT DOES NOT REQUIRE home internet. Like WTF is the point, we all know they are just making a wifi connection and using YOUR PERSONALLY PAID FOR home broadband as a VOIP type phone instead of as a cell tower riding phone.

Sprint needs to get with the times, and get a REAL home cell booster technology :rolleyes:

Its Ma-Bell that has the booster. I could go buy one for $250, but to hell with that too, it should just work, especially with the tower being physically right down the street and both my and my wife's phone show full signal, but yet data service is pretty much non-existent for the both of us.

Fuck Sprint, no, fuck all of the U.S. cell carriers, I'm done with this overprice bullshit.

Back