LCD Televisions with 4:4:4 Subsampling and low Input Lag.

SJetski71

Fully [H]
Hey all, just dropping this thread here so i can keep track of a few things. Backdrop: Within a month or two i may upgrade the size of my TV monitor from a 32" to a 37" or 40". I'm currently using a 32" Panny L32S1 as my main, but with my new desk i have the option of sitting 4' to 4 1/2' back from my display. I'm compiling a list of TV's that supposedly have/hopefully have low input lag, working 4:4:4 for sharper colored text. Pixel refresh time is always a concern and higher static contrast would be a big plus.

List of research candidates so far and my sources:

- Edit: Check out PoohContinuum's more comprehensive 4:4:4 TV list and data thread right here. Note that he lists TV's that both passed and failed the 4:4:4 test. And keep your silly TV buying requests out of there ;) (thanks for all the work and support you've offered us Pooh!!)

- Dynex DX-32L230A12: Source = Racer's most recent posts starting from here. BestBuy has it for between $250-$350. Information and results are still very fresh but there are many many positives with this model. Along with working 4:4:4 and high contrast, It has separate backlight control and tons of service menu tweaks. Bestbuy's return policy makes it an easy purchase even for the reluctant. A big thank you to Racer for the multiple risks he has taken in trying new models, and for the extensive testing he has done.

- Westinghouse VR-3225 series: Source. The 32" and the 40" are available at Walmart with 90 day returns. The 37" VR-3725 is hard to find. Inexpensive, has 4:4:4, accepts 1080P rez over VGA (rare) HDMI & Component. Nice blacks/contrast + decent motion clarity. Specs & owner's manual here. We dug up some panel info here and here, 4 for 4 so far using Samsung panels and decent internal electronics (surprisingly).

- Westinghouse VR-3730 series: Source. The 37" seems to be the only size offered, recently went as low as $280, But $320-$350 is the normal price range. Has 4:4:4 over VGA+HDMI. Thankfully it has nice even CCFL backlighting with good blacks/contrast/colors (unlike the LED models which have poor colors and a tinted picture). Might be a Best Buy exclusive. Specs and owner's manual. There's a few user-reviews for it in this thread including another nice write-up by Racer. Seems to use Chi-mei/CMO parts which means build quality should be decent at the very least.

- LG xxLK450 series, very similar to last year's popular xxLD450. Low input lag, quick pixel refresh, 4:4:4 support. But it's a panel lottery again where a "Y" in the box product code means it has an IPS panel. (A "D" means it has a VA panel). Edit: JoshZH claims he had two of them with VA panels that passed 4:4:4 with the EDID fix, here's his reply to someone who questioned him about the VA version.

- Sony xxEX720 series almost positively has 4:4:4 and low input lag with the right settings. A big thank you to MaZa for testing and providing the best pic and testimony we've seen to date. Take a look at the 1st pic and testimony in his post here and judge for yourself.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*** YMMV Samsung LN-xxD550 Update see the last sentence for an explanation ... Possibly working 4:4:4 using Dvi-to-Hdmi into the rear hdmi port labeled "DVI" and then renaming the input label to "PC" within the TV menu. Many AVS forum members consider it the best current 60hz CCFL with even backpanel lighting and great contrast for an LCD. Prices vary a lot but you get what you pay for. [H] member Antipode reviews it for us here and here <-- input lag results, using two different test methods, 1 to 2 frames. Here's the D550 owner's thread and a D550 discussion thread. Edit Update: Looks like we have our first D550 with failed 4:4:4, it gets very close though. It may be a flawed panel/videboard combination (possible videoboard lottery), or all D550's may have this problem, Ryz documents his experience starting from this post. I would only risk this TV by purchasing it from a store that offers hassle free returns.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*** Runner ups that still deserve serious consideration, especially by those who will use them predominantly for gaming:

- The Panasonic U3 and E3 models have very low input lag, guaranteed IPS-alpha panels, low pixel smear. No 4:4:4 so certain colored text will appear smudged, a tradeoff some gamers will be willing to accept.

- The JVC BlackCrystal 3000 series: IPS panel, No 4:4:4, but has low input lag, low pixel smear and good contrast for an IPS TV. Those who need a secondary display for mostly gaming, and were considering Panasonic, can put this on their candidate list as well. A big thank you the thepoohcontinuum for testing it for us. Walmart often has the 32" size for a fair price with 90 day in-store returns. I think Costco B&M also carries it with 1 year in-store returns (?)

- RCA 40LA45RQ: (Edit: As it turns out, the xxLA45RQ series is not 4:4:4 compatible, it gets very close but...) Original Source. Walmart carries the 32", 37" and 40" models, Walmart's easy 90 day return policy, has 4:4:4, low 27ms input lag, decently low pixel smear, not sure if it accepts 1080P over VGA?, headphone jack. Here's the owner's manual.

- I'll add more to my list as i find them. Any thoughts, ideas, candidates and competing lists are welcome.
- Here's the AVS forum thread where they discuss LCD TV input lag results.
- Another AVS forum thread where they discuss Plasma Input lag results
- Here's a decent 4:4:4 Chroma Subsampling discussion.
- Poohcontinuum's brand new 4:4:4 data thread. Word of warning, don't pollute it with buying or recommendation requests since that is frowned upon at the AVS forums. You can do it here however ;)

Last edited:
Disclaimer for the noobs: I know they can be enticing but i do not recommend that monitor/display noobs use a TV as their main monitor, unless they are willing to deal with the following drawbacks:

- Text will not be as sharp due to larger pixel size. ALSO, if the TV lacks what is known as 4:4:4 Chroma Subsampling then Red + Blue + certain other colored text will appear smudged.
- Blacks are not as deep on TV IPS panels, or can appear crushed on VA based displays. Colorshift+viewing angles can be more of an issue due to display size, depends on the panel type though.
- Uneven backlighting, sometimes called clouding, flashlighting or bleeding, is always a concern, especially in LCD's that have edge-lit LED backlights.
- They are not plug and play, you might be ripping your hair out trying to get everything to look right. Tweaks are required for both the PC and in the TV menu. Many tend to give up at this point and settle for a lower quality picture, or return their TV.
- "Low Input Lag" on a TV is still almost always higher than with traditional PC monitors. So take the phrase "Low Input Lag", in the context of this discussion, with a grain of salt.
- It's rare for TV's to accept the native resolution over their VGA input, so it's usually HDMI or nothing.
- DPMS support is rare, so the TV will need to be powered on and off separately from your PC. Certain manufacturers, including Sony, have DPMS support over their VGA inputs.
- That LED is simply a backlight, and not a display type. The edge-lit LED backlights used on lower end TV's usually produce inferior results, manufacturers use them because they are cheaper, use less power, make a thinner TV, and it's a popular marketing buzzword.
- TV monitors sometimes do not play nicely in dual monitor configurations when combined with a different display. Menu settings may become unstuck such as overscan and even 4:4:4 may break temporarily. YMMV
- if it seems like i'm trying to dissuade you from using a TV as a monitor, then i've probably gotten my point across ;).

Also: Do not confuse "response time" with "Input lag" because it is NOT the same. Input lag will always be 3 to 6 times higher than the response time depending on the TV model. Manufacturers never publish the elusive input lag number, many of them may not know it themselves.

Last edited:
This is a good thread! I've been researching the same exact topic - LCD TVs with 4:4:4 support and low input lag.

To add to your list:

LG xxLD450 series. They are from 2010 but you can still find them in some places. Only drawback is weak black levels.

They have been replaced by xxLK450 series, but i have no seen anyone confirm the 4:4:4 support and the input lag is just slightly higher, but still 1-2 frames.

Otherwise, Panasonics seem to be the king of low input lag. TC-L42E30 seems to be among the best. I have not seen anyone test for 4:4:4 support yet. D30 and DT30 series also have very low input lag, but they are more expensive. E30 seems to be the sweet spot. I was also looking at the TC-L37E3, but there have not been any test for input lag or 4:4:4 support, although somebody here on HF said it seems fast.

Let me know what you find out, as I am searching as well. I will most likely be trying Panasonic TC-L42E30 around balck friday if I don't find anything better.

Let me know what you find out, as I am searching as well. I will most likely be trying Panasonic TC-L42E30 around black friday if I don't find anything better.

Will do. Btw, are you sure the Panny E3 hasn't been tested for input lag yet? I would check the last 10 pages of that AVS mega thread if you haven't already.

Going to link a few AVS forum threads for reference:

- AVS's Input Lag discussion thread, and the 4:4:4 mega test within it.

- AVS's 4:4:4 Chroma Subsampling discussion thread.

I haven't seen anybody do the test with the CRT monitor / TV side by side.
Many people have asked for it in that thread, but i have not seen anyone test it. Only the 42E30 model.

They have been replaced by xxLK450 series, but i have no seen anyone confirm the 4:4:4 support and the input lag is just slightly higher, but still 1-2 frames.
Looks like the LG xxLK450 series has 4:4:4 support: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=20427896&postcount=33

The xxLK450 still has a panel lottery though with S-IPS and VA panels in the mix. You can guarantee yourself a S-IPS panel by looking for the correct product code on the box. This year a "Y" on the box product code will have an IPS panel ... whereas a "D" on the product code means it has a VA panel.

CUSY and CUSD

There's also a rumor circulating at AVS that the LK series has the same internals as the previous LD models and that only the outside case is different. I cannot confirm this but it would be a good thing if true.

Looks like the LG xxLK450 series has 4:4:4 support: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=20427896&postcount=33

The xxLK450 still has a panel lottery though with S-IPS and VA panels in the mix. You can guarantee yourself a S-IPS panel by looking for the correct product code on the box. This year a "Y" on the box product code will have an IPS panel ... whereas a "D" on the product code means it has a VA panel.

CUSY and CUSD

There's also a rumor circulating at AVS that the LK series has the same internals as the previous LD models and that only the outside case is different. I cannot confirm this but it would be a good thing if true.

And obviously an IPS panel based on the <<< pixels.

Didn't one user test an IPS and VA variant of one of the LG models and the IPS variant did 4:4:4 and the VA did not?

Weird.

Thanks for starting this thread. I always wondered what the fringed text was about in other models. I was fortunate my LG 37LB5D did 4:4:4 but also had like 75 ms input lag :(

So i have settled on picking the 37LK450 "Y" or 37LD450 "W". Whichever i can find for a reasonable price. Both confirmed to be S-IPS panel, support 4:4:4 chroma, and have failry low input lag.

Thanks guys! Now I just have to find one.
Please let us know if you find them available for sale at your local stores. Maybe I can get one shipped to me.

And obviously an IPS panel based on the <<< pixels.

Didn't one user test an IPS and VA variant of one of the LG models and the IPS variant did 4:4:4 and the VA did not?

Weird.

Thanks for starting this thread. I always wondered what the fringed text was about in other models. I was fortunate my LG 37LB5D did 4:4:4 but also had like 75 ms input lag :(
Good point, i didn't make that clear, a person will want the IPS to assure a working 4:4:4 and quicker pixel refresh.
So i have settled on picking the 37LK450 "Y" or 37LD450 "W". Whichever i can find for a reasonable price. Both confirmed to be S-IPS panel, support 4:4:4 chroma, and have failry low input lag.

Thanks guys! Now I just have to find one.
Please let us know if you find them available for sale at your local stores. Maybe I can get one shipped to me.
Glad you were able to come to a decision. Try to think of all the electronics stores local to your area, including the smaller, lesser known ones. You'll want to broaden your search base to increase your chances of getting an IPS panel.

Glad you were able to come to a decision. Try to think of all the electronics stores local to your area, including the smaller, lesser known ones. You'll want to broaden your search base to increase your chances of getting an IPS panel.

Yeah, i already bought one. Heh. I got the LG 37LK450.
I called like 10 best Buys and all of them had the "D". Then I called AmericanTV (local to midwest) and asked the guy to check the display model. He came back saying it was a "Y" model. So i drove to the store and the brand new ones in the warehouse were all "D" models. So i ended up buying the display model with a small discount. I got them to sell it for $499+tax so $526 total. It's a bit more than Amazon and Newegg, but it was worth it for a guaranteed S-IPS panel.

I am seriously starting to think that any newer shipments are all "D" models (at least in the 32/37 size. a lot of people have much better luck finding 42/47 sizes with S-IPS panels). This one was manufactured in March 2011, in Mexico. I will be posting more details later.
But i confirmed it with a lupe test to be the S-IPS (<<<<) panel.

Now i have to order a DVI to HDMI cable to test the 4:4:4 support.

Last edited:
This is what i've decided on after researching these forums.

The info in this thread has led me to some nice places, and where i work (Best buy) we have the 37lk450 but right now they are all "D" model numbers which from what i understand i should stay away from?

the 32ld450 is actually still available for order as well, but this one is still a panel lottery? I heard this is the best overall TV for PC monitor. Haha, been looking for so long but this has narrowed my choices down.

Satisified with the 37lk450 so far?

I have not hooked it up to the PC yet, since my DVI to HDMI cable is still on the way.
I will be updating as soon as I get a chance to hook it up and calibrate it. I will be testing to make sure it supports the 4:4:4 sampling (which according to a few posts it should be able to do).

Then I will report on my impressions.

As far is the panel lottery, it might be easier to get the S-IPS panel in 32LD450 than in 32LK450, as very few people reported getting the S-IPS panel in the 32lk450 (mostly australians were able to get one).

Last edited:
Just to clarify: you are looking for the "y" in the LK450 series and "w" in the LD450 series.

Just updating, I decided to pull the trigger on the 37lk450. Where i work they were all "D" so i checked the display and sure enough it was a "Y" so i got lucky and picked it up. Gonna try to get it hooked up tonight.

Just updating, I decided to pull the trigger on the 37lk450. Where i work they were all "D" so i checked the display and sure enough it was a "Y" so i got lucky and picked it up. Gonna try to get it hooked up tonight.

I hooked mine up today.
Haven't tested much yet, but i did quickly calibrate it.

Here are the settings I used to start calibrating. Then I had to drop the contrast a bit and the backlight and slightly lower the H sharpness. Either way, give it a go and see how it works.

My settings are not perfect, but I am extemely happy with the way everything looks. Beats the snot out of my old 28" TN monitor. Text looks crystal clear. I tried counter strike and left for dead 2, i can barely feel any lag, or it might be my mind playing tricks on me. Either way it's definitely very playable.

Make sure you set the Edge Enhancer to either low or off, otherwise everything will look like ^&&^&t. For me, low works the best.

Sjetski what is your experience with full HD LCD TVs for computer use? I have been using my HD ready Sony KDL 32V2000 for years now and it works perfect for computer use. The fonts are just the right size almost 2 metre away from the monitor without having to use zoom functions. But I am worried to run 1920x1080 you would need 60 inch or something. Maybe todays LCD TVs scale well so you can use them in less then their native resolution and still get good results?. Mine is utter crap. It look horrible using the hdmi input and I believe it´s because it uses 1280x720 while it´s native resolution is 1366x768? Or it´s just some digital filters that I cant disable.

This TV has done me so great so I am tempted on replacing it with another HD Ready TV. It seem to magically be able to improve the visuals of games making it look more real whereas all the flaws in the graphics are so much more noticable on my 1080p monitors. I have a pair of 24" monitors but none of them give me the realism of the tv and I pretty much only use them for games where input lag is not as tolerable or 3D. I often catch myself playing fps games on the TV just because they look so much better and deal with the 55 ms input lag.

But of course for a new LCD TV I would like to do away with crushed blacks. Doing night racing on my S-PVA tv means that either I run it so black is black and I don´t see crap or I make it like I am driving in grey fog to get as much detail as I got with my old CRT. Which had even better black levels on top of that :p

This thread is relevant to my interests. :D

What about Sony TVs? What's the word on them? I remember most of them had low input lag, but that was almost 3 years ago, when i did my last research on this matter. Samsungs had the highest, along with Philips, as i remember.

That LG sounds good on paper, but i got burned with my current 42" LG tv/monitor (LH3000): horrible ghosting and sound volume problems (low volume has noise and i can't keep it too high (>15 out of 100) because it gets way loud, in any mode, pc or tv). Otherwise i like it, has low input lag and nice menus.

Sjetski what is your experience with full HD LCD TVs for computer use? I have been using my HD ready Sony KDL 32V2000 for years now and it works perfect for computer use. The fonts are just the right size almost 2 metre away from the monitor without having to use zoom functions. But I am worried to run 1920x1080 you would need 60 inch or something. Maybe todays LCD TVs scale well so you can use them in less then their native resolution and still get good results?. Mine is utter crap. It look horrible using the hdmi input and I believe it´s because it uses 1280x720 while it´s native resolution is 1366x768? Or it´s just some digital filters that I cant disable.

This TV has done me so great so I am tempted on replacing it with another HD Ready TV. It seem to magically be able to improve the visuals of games making it look more real whereas all the flaws in the graphics are so much more noticable on my 1080p monitors. I have a pair of 24" monitors but none of them give me the realism of the tv and I pretty much only use them for games where input lag is not as tolerable or 3D. I often catch myself playing fps games on the TV just because they look so much better and deal with the 55 ms input lag.

But of course for a new LCD TV I would like to do away with crushed blacks. Doing night racing on my S-PVA tv means that either I run it so black is black and I don´t see crap or I make it like I am driving in grey fog to get as much detail as I got with my old CRT. Which had even better black levels on top of that :p
Lots of good questions, but most of your suspicions about your 1368x768 are correct imho since you are not feeding it a native resolution and you "may" have undefeatable filters. If gaming is any sort of priority for you then def hit up the input lag thread i linked above, you should only have to skim the last 15 pages or so. But if you cobble a list of candidates together then you can whittle that list down using 4:4:4 text as just one of your criteria. But like i said before, lack of 4:4:4 mostly just affects colored text and they can still appear legible inside a 3D game, it depends.

There are a couple of tricks you can try to get a sharp pixel image on your current TV, shut off any zoom functions, lower sharpness all the way, disable all or most picure enhancements, and try a custom resolution of 1365x768 @ 60hz. If that doesn't work then try 1360x768@60hz. And if those two resolutions fail then try them again with a 59hz refresh rate (some may have to change this refresh rate in both the windows video control panel and the video card control panel). If it works, as i suspect it would, you will end up missing a couple of rows of pixels on the left and right side. The VGA and hdmi ports may have different options and results.

>>>Sjetski what is your experience with full HD LCD TVs for computer use?<<<
Most of my thoughts and experiences are in my second post. But you may still run into the issue of choosing deeper blacks -vs- shadow detail. <-- And these results will differ between VA and IPS TV's, and between models of course. 768P can be decent but 1080P is def the way to go imho.

In my case i compromised 4:4:4 colored text to get less input lag, but i chose a smaller 32" for the tighter pixel pitch so regular text would look a tad better. I've also read that a 37" is a noticeable improvement over 40" or 42" TVs in that regard (32" and 37" may be the sweet spots).

This thread is relevant to my interests. :D

What about Sony TVs? What's the word on them? I remember most of them had low input lag, but that was almost 3 years ago, when i did my last research on this matter. Samsungs had the highest, along with Philips, as i remember.

That LG sounds good on paper, but i got burned with my current 42" LG tv/monitor (LH3000): horrible ghosting and sound volume problems (low volume has noise and i can't keep it too high (>15 out of 100) because it gets way loud, in any mode, pc or tv). Otherwise i like it, has low input lag and nice menus.
Things can change a lot from year to year. Not sure about 2011 models but Sony's 2009 and 2010 models had high input lag, around 50ms or so which equals 3 frames. This is enough for most gamers, but not all, to notice.

Last edited:
Something i just thought of.

If Westinghouse kept producing their 37" W3 model, kept the quality up and stayed in the $500-$600 price range, then none of us would be having these discussions :p

The jumbo consumer monitor segment has been ignored for a long time now. I know there are "professional" ones but who the heck wants to pay those prices and no user support base...

I am not sure 1080p is the way to go. Everytime I go to stores and see games run on 1080p LCD TVs I am always amazed how bad it looks and why the technology don´t progress. Maybe they put the crappiest monitors to showcase console graphics but I wonder if it´s not the same deal as my 1080p monitor. As you increase the detail you highlight flaws in the graphics more then anything else it appears and games often tend to look unnaturally sharp to me anyway.

This is why I would optimally want a LCD TV that scale so well it wouldn´t matter if you run it´s native resolution or not like is so crucial on my old LCD TV. Does TVs with such good scaling exist today?

I am not sure 1080p is the way to go. Everytime I go to stores and see games run on 1080p LCD TVs I am always amazed how bad it looks and why the technology don´t progress. Maybe they put the crappiest monitors to showcase console graphics but I wonder if it´s not the same deal as my 1080p monitor. As you increase the detail you highlight flaws in the graphics more then anything else it appears and games often tend to look unnaturally sharp to me anyway.

This is why I would optimally want a LCD TV that scale so well it wouldn´t matter if you run it´s native resolution or not like is so crucial on my old LCD TV. Does TVs with such good scaling exist today?
I'm guessing the upscaling of 720P console content into 1080P content creates the imperfections. But i'm not sure which TV models do a better job of upscaling. This is one of the situations where a 1080P may not be better.

One thing seems certain, for whatever it's worth, that all future consoles will be 1080P.

From my experience, the differences caused by upscaling are minor. Current console games look bad on either screen, HD or Full HD...And don't forget that 720P it's not even the native resolution of HD screens, it's 1366x768, so upscaling is still involved. Not to mention that some console games don't even run in 720P, but in a lower resolution.

Anyway, back to good pc TVs, what about other current gen LG models? Is the LK450 the only one with low input lag and 4:4:4? What about Samsungs? Do the avsforums run the lag tests in game mode? Most TVs have that option, including Samsung, that's supposed to lower input lag...

Also, any gaming TV with LED backlight out there? I prefer them because of the small size, weight and power draw, compared to CCFL screens.

ps: currently i'm using an LG LH30 42" as my current, primary, monitor. I want to change it for something smaller (32" or 37", can't decide) and with less bugs (i've mentioned them in a previous post here)...I could go for the higher end 32"-37 models, but i don't know their input lag stats.

Last edited:
Just to jump back on your comments a bit...

As a owned of two Westy 37'ers... One was amazing and I am writing on it now.. the other... for some reason has an insane image retention issue that got worse and worse over time... almost like instant ghosting. But westinghouse... good farking luck with a RMA. They have some uber shady business practices... Shame someone could not just buy the information and components of their panes and just remake them... Hard project ; )

Sony EX720 has low lag 21ms and supports 4:4:4.
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk is the only review site that tests and reports subsampling.
Thanks for the heads up, added it to the first post.

Just to jump back on your comments a bit...

As a owned of two Westy 37'ers... One was amazing and I am writing on it now.. the other... for some reason has an insane image retention issue that got worse and worse over time... almost like instant ghosting. But westinghouse... good farking luck with a RMA. They have some uber shady business practices... Shame someone could not just buy the information and components of their panes and just remake them... Hard project ; )
Ya, Westinghouse has changed hands a couple of times in the past few years, they are a shell of their former self.

Buying the info to remake the original W3 model would be great, or even starting from scratch with the same intentions. There's latent demand for large and affordable "true monitors" but no manufacturers are stepping up to the plate.

I'm very curious to know how their current VR-xx25 compares to the old W3.

- It's rare for TV's to accept the native resolution over their VGA input, so it's usually HDMI or nothing.
- No DPMS support, so the TV will need to be powered on and off separately from your PC.

Sony's usually let you use 1366x768 and 1920x1080 via VGA without any fiddling.

My ~2007 era Sony will turn off the display if the computer is off or is instructed to do by the computer. Power light will go from green to orange. So this really depends on the TV.

Sony's usually let you use 1366x768 and 1920x1080 via VGA without any fiddling.

My ~2007 era Sony will turn off the display if the computer is off or is instructed to do by the computer. Power light will go from green to orange. So this really depends on the TV.
Yes, with some models the VGA input will work correctly for both native resolution and DPMS support. Thanks for clarifying since there aren't any absolutes here.

Find any models you want to guinea pig for us 450? :D

I still can't get over how inexpensive the base models have become in the past year or so.

SJetski71, did you decide on a new TV/monitor? That S1 you have is probably one of the best HDTV/PC monitor models out there so far as input lag and PQ go.

I have the 2010 U22 and it has acceptable input lag, but like the S1 lacks 4:4:4. Just curious if you decided to make a move.

I'm thinking about getting the RCA unit mentioned, however I'm still thinking about waiting until Black Friday.
Me too, still intrigued with that one. I'm hoping that it has more contrast than IPS-alpha along with non-crushed blacks and no ghosting (concerns i have with VA panels). Price along with a store's return policy will help determine if i guinea pig it, or not.

SJetski71, did you decide on a new TV/monitor? That S1 you have is probably one of the best HDTV/PC monitor models out there so far as input lag and PQ go.

I have the 2010 U22 and it has acceptable input lag, but like the S1 lacks 4:4:4. Just curious if you decided to make a move.
Not yet, but thx for chiming in Wilo, from what i understand the U22 and S1 have a similar "look", i bet it has everything to do with both being IPS-alpha etc etc.

I'm biding my time and growing my $$ slush fund while i wait. Hopefully more candidates turn up. I have a decent enough display to hold me over while i dilly dally ;)

I think Toshiba is in the middle of a model refresh which would explain the firesale prices i saw last month on the older xxE210U models. Now i'm wondering how the new xxFT2U model would perform as a monitor.

Sjetski71,

I'll be interested in seeing what you end up with. My u22 drives me crazy with the weird text but the pq in movies and games is unmatched.

I'm thinking about moving my u22 to another room and going with a solid ips pc monitor, but I'm afraid I might end up with buyer's regret.

Sjetski71,

I'll be interested in seeing what you end up with. My u22 drives me crazy with the weird text but the pq in movies and games is unmatched.

I'm thinking about moving my u22 to another room and going with a solid ips pc monitor, but I'm afraid I might end up with buyer's regret.
Definitely will, but it may be a little ways off. I agree with your PQ statement, maybe it's just our preference but there's something about the look these IPS panels achieve despite having mediocre contrast/blacks, i like it a lot. As for buyer's regret, i may be stating the obvious but def purchase from a place with a lax return policy. And just so you know, similar trends apply with the 2011 IPS models as they did with 2009/2010 models. Examples:

- LG still has a panel lottery. Their base IPS models still have low input lag, 4:4:4 is possible with the right tweaks, and the usual benefits associated with IPS panels. Roughly 1/2 to 1-1/2 frames faster than the U22.

- The base Pansonic models still have low input lag, no panel lottery and IPS-alpha goodness, but still lack 4:4:4. These newer panasonics are roughly 1/2 to 1-1/2 frames faster than the U22.

- LG still has a panel lottery. Their base IPS models still have low input lag, 4:4:4 is possible with the right tweaks, and the usual benefits associated with IPS panels. Roughly 1/2 to 1-1/2 frames faster than the U22.

- The base Pansonic models still have low input lag, no panel lottery and IPS-alpha goodness, but still lack 4:4:4. These newer panasonics are roughly 1/2 to 1-1/2 frames faster than the U22.

Re: LG - the panel lottery has always kept me away from them. Just isn't my deal, even though they do support 4:4:4.

Re: This year's Pannys - That's good to know that the input lag is better vs 2010 models. 1/2 to 1-1/2 frames probably isn't enough to make me swap out, but still - it is better and tells me that Panny is trying to back off some of that on-board processing that they introduced from 2009 to 2010.

I've tried to determine if the new Panny's are input lag friendly on their LED line-up, but can't find anything...

I've tried to determine if the new Panny's are input lag friendly on their LED line-up, but can't find anything...
I'd research their LED line-up at the AVS input lag thread first, but i think that one lower priced one was tested as good (?)

I'd be just as concerned about backlight uniformity since i've seen it mentioned a few times on that same lower priced edge-lit LED set. The CCFL equivalent might be more uniform.

On that note there are certain risks with all of the models discussed so far, some of us will just take the chance and hope we are choosing our poison wisely :p

I've read quite a few good reviews of the Panasonic VIERA TC-L37DT30 for a pc monitor including gaming. It's not an inexpensive solution though.

I have the best CRT monitor on the motherfucking planet. I'll test anything side-by side and write comprehensive reviews, just send me samples.

Re: LG - the panel lottery has always kept me away from them. Just isn't my deal, even though they do support 4:4:4.

Re: This year's Pannys - That's good to know that the input lag is better vs 2010 models. 1/2 to 1-1/2 frames probably isn't enough to make me swap out, but still - it is better and tells me that Panny is trying to back off some of that on-board processing that they introduced from 2009 to 2010.

Wilo i just replied to your post at AVS, but the problem is i didn't realize it was you until after i posted :eek:

My TV slush fund is growing quickly btw, so my purchase date is drawing near, still don't know what i want. I am very curious about the 37" RCA, and the Westinghouse to a lesser extent because the 37" is harder to find at a competitive price.

I have the best CRT monitor on the motherfucking planet. I'll test anything side-by side and write comprehensive reviews, just send me samples.
Hey kohan, i sent a few TV's to your home, but you still haven't reported back to us :eek:

Back