Android Market Soars Past 500,000 Published Apps

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
According to a report from research2guidance, the Android Market has surpassed a milestone of 500K published Apps. Not too shabby for an upstart rival to Apple’s App Store who had a very lengthy head start in the marketplace.

“Although Apple regularly cleans up its store from inappropriate or outdated content, its active application share still exceeds that of Android,” commented research2guidance.

In crApple vs. crAndroid, the only real questions should be "What does the other phone have that I want, but my phone doesn't have?"

In crApple vs. crAndroid, the only real questions should be "What does the other phone have that I want, but my phone doesn't have?"

Pretty much.

Apple has itunes, so that's why I chose Andriod, simple as that.

I have been loving android since their very first phone, and this was the main reason I liked it more... there were tons more free apps, that were easy to find and rarely any "intrusive" apps.

Now that its gotten so popular and used by so many carriers, there are TONS of crap apps just like the iphone.. you have to scan through the free ones, see what details they want to extract or stream from your phone (if any), and just do a lot more scanning to find what you need..... thats why I liked android before it got popular. But at least most of the apps are free and perfectly fine, unlike apple which has charges and fees for everything you access! And yes, itunes is really for suckers lol. SOOO many better/cheaper options to store/dl music, even legally....

I have been loving android since their very first phone, and this was the main reason I liked it more... there were tons more free apps, that were easy to find and rarely any "intrusive" apps.

Now that its gotten so popular and used by so many carriers, there are TONS of crap apps just like the iphone.. you have to scan through the free ones, see what details they want to extract or stream from your phone (if any), and just do a lot more scanning to find what you need..... thats why I liked android before it got popular. But at least most of the apps are free and perfectly fine, unlike apple which has charges and fees for everything you access! And yes, itunes is really for suckers lol. SOOO many better/cheaper options to store/dl music, even legally....

http://www.todaysiphone.com/2011/09/social-saturday-ios-apps-vs-android-apps/

Average price of the top 100 paid apps:

iOS: $2.15
Android: $4.57
Blackberry: $5.61

I've been writing some basic apps for Android and have not had a chance to work on apple market apps. A big reason I see for Android gaining ground is that it is low cost of entry. A small fee and free tools that work on any OS. :D So everything I write for the time being will be exclusive to Android.

To get into Apple I would need to by some form of MAC, pay apple's more expensive developer fee, and buy some of their devices to test on.

I already have two Android phones (one basic vmobile and a htc hd2 that can run android from the SD card). I'll admit that Eclipse IDE and the Android SDK can be a real PITA at times, but it is manageable with enough effort.

According to a report from research2guidance, the Android Market has surpassed a milestone of 500K published Apps. Not too shabby for an upstart rival to Apple’s App Store who had a very lengthy head start in the marketplace.

"upstart rival" "very lengthy head start"?

The iPhone didn't have an app store for the first year of its existence. The iPhone app store was introduced in July 2008, the Android Marketplace in October 2008. With three years under its belt, the 3 month delay shouldn't be that big a deal.

iPhone app store only just hit 500K apps itself earlier this month!

Back