Happy 10th Birthday, iPod

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It just seems like yesterday, but it has been 10 years since the introduction of the iPod. The introduction wasn’t that well received, but as it evolved, the world embraced the new technology like no other.

"With iPod, Apple has invented a whole new category of digital music player that lets you put your entire music collection in your pocket and listen to it wherever you go. With iPod, listening to music will never be the same again." And so it hasn't been.

Happy Birthday! Definitely a game changer but phones are now taking over this market as even the iPod's sales are flat lining.

Ummm Diamond Rio and similar devices beg to differ, they were quite popular in their own right. That being said, they were clunky, difficult to use, low on storage (flash memory was super expensive) etc. Now if you want to say mp3 players as we know them today did not exist. THEN you have more of an argument. Part of that was due to apples game changing iPod 4G (yep it took them 4 generations before it really caught on) and part was due to technology finally reaching the right point.

More like "Happy 10 years to Creative getting ripped off by Apple."

Considering that portable mp3 players were everywhere when I visited Japan in 2000, it is safe to say that "no, Apple did not invent a whole new category of digital music player." Apple did make a more stylish looking significantly more expensive player which they marketed the hell out of until it became popular and, in the US, became the default form / concept of the mp3 player.

Considering that portable mp3 players were everywhere when I visited Japan in 2000, it is safe to say that "no, Apple did not invent a whole new category of digital music player." Apple did make a more stylish looking significantly more expensive player which they marketed the hell out of until it became popular and, in the US, became the default form / concept of the mp3 player.

I think the sales chart speaks for its self nobody fucking cared about the thing until apple put it in shiny white plastic and made brainwashing ads spending millions to make people think steve jobs the antichrist fucking inveted the mp3 and it had one fucking new idea that was not ripped off from other mp3 players before it.

ipod-sales-chart.gif

ah my diamond rio... with 32mb of storage! 8 of the best song i every had!

I think the sales chart speaks for its self nobody fucking cared about the thing until apple put it in shiny white plastic and made brainwashing ads spending millions to make people think steve jobs the antichrist fucking inveted the mp3 and it had one fucking new idea that was not ripped off from other mp3 players before it.

So, you go Santorum all over every Apple thread because Apple has good marketing? You're sort of freaking me out. Microsoft spent $300 million on two ads with Seinfeld; do you not hate Microsoft because their marketing isn't as good as Apple's? Would you hate them as much if it was?

They made a device that could store a large amount of music and actually fit in your pocket. What's not to like?

Who purchases off of ads anymore anyways? I have yet to buy something because of an advertisement, anyone else the same way?

My first generation iPod that I ordered on announcement day still works great to this day. It's on it's fifth battery. I think that says a lot about the quality of Apple products. It instantly made every other mp3 look obsolete and old fashioned.

I still have one that's 5 years old in my car. Apple did not invent the mp3 player, they just knew how to market it.

I still have one that's 5 years old in my car. Apple did not invent the mp3 player, they just knew how to market it.

Yeah. It also helps that the early iPods really were the best MP3 players on the market. That changed pretty quickly, but Apple's marketing kept them on top. I still remember those old iPod commercials with the dancers and stuff. A lot better than the stupid Mac vs PC ads.

You know it is funny that someone mentioned the Diamond Rio. I actually had one. I also had a creative one and those two MP3 players were so terrible to use that I literally did not buy another mp3 player until about a year ago. I finally bought a little $50 iPod nano and honestly it is a great little device. The only flaw? the iTunes requirement as iTunes just flat out blows. But beyond that, it is a pretty slick little device.

Yeah. It also helps that the early iPods really were the best MP3 players on the market. That changed pretty quickly, but Apple's marketing kept them on top. I still remember those old iPod commercials with the dancers and stuff. A lot better than the stupid Mac vs PC ads.

Actually, the first iPods still sucked in terms of sound quality when compared to the Nomad. They, like most Apple products, just LOOKED better.

You know it is funny that someone mentioned the Diamond Rio. I actually had one. I also had a creative one and those two MP3 players were so terrible to use that I literally did not buy another mp3 player until about a year ago. I finally bought a little $50 iPod nano and honestly it is a great little device. The only flaw? the iTunes requirement as iTunes just flat out blows. But beyond that, it is a pretty slick little device.

I still have my Diamond Rio though I lost the damn interface cable eons ago.

My first generation iPod that I ordered on announcement day still works great to this day. It's on it's fifth battery. I think that says a lot about the quality of Apple products. It instantly made every other mp3 look obsolete and old fashioned.

I'm on my Nomad Zen which came out the year after the first iPod did. It's still on its FIRST battery and gets more than 6 hours charge. Apple products are designed to be disposable.

They made a device that could store a large amount of music and actually fit in your pocket. What's not to like?

iTunes, the lack of drag and drop file support on any computer you connect it to, being forced to wipe the unit clean if you plug it into a desktop that it has not synced with before, the non user servicable batteries, the Apple Tax on "Made for iPod" devices (purposely locking out cheaper third party alternatives with a sensing chip in the cable or headphones cord), proprietary cables/connectors, purposely locking out third party software and not providing any alternatives for Linux users, DRM, inferior sound quality compared to many preexisting MP3 players and many since, the fact that the unit cannot be powered solely on AC power alone (meaning you're always draining from the battery even when you keep it on AC, causing excessive wear and tear on a consumable)...

I really can keep going.

Back