Korean Prosecutors Identify Google Program Developer

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Korean authorities have finally tracked down and summoned the person thought to be responsible for developing the technology that violated Korean privacy laws. The Street View information was collected from 2009-2010, but couldn’t be prosecuted until the person responsible was located. Obviously South Korea takes its privacy laws very seriously.

More than a dozen countries accused the U.S. company of similar charges after South Korea first raised the accusations last year.

Korean authorities have finally tracked down and summoned the person thought to be responsible for developing the technology that violated Korean privacy laws. The Street View information was collected from 2009-2010, but couldn’t be prosecuted until the person responsible was located. Obviously South Korea takes its privacy laws very seriously.

While Street View is an awesome idea for public business and the like, which idiot thought it was a great idea for people's homes, lol? It is useful, though.

What exactly is being done that violated? Did the guy peep into people's houses or something?

Screw going to court in South Korea. If they summoned me you can bet your ass that I wouldn't go to that country with a crazy neighbor. Does anyone else find the term summoning humorous? Every time that I hear it I cant help but think of the older Final Fantasy games where you would summon monsters.

I still don't get how this matters so much to so many people.

I can walk down any block in anytown,usa and see the same thing that google saw the day they drove by.

It's not the photos that they are concerned with, or at least that is the least of it.

An earlier police probe found that Google's fleet of camera-equipped vehicles not only shot the 360-degree images of streets in Seoul, Busan, Incheon and Gyeonggi Province but also collected serial numbers of wireless devices on Wi-Fi networks as well as mobile text messages exchanged between the networks' users.

Also gathered were users' e-mails, passwords and credit card payment histories, police said.

Google admitted it so I think that the privacy concerns are justified.

if your broadcasting its public lock your wifi
i could care less if google has my SSID and any thing else that my router broadcasts its not usefull to any one

If you are stupid enough to not read the manual and learn how to secure your wireless devices I.E. routers and the like you don't need to fucking own them. Stick to LAN cables.

All I see is a lot of stupid users yelling that because they could not be bothered to secure thier wireless network, no one else should be allowed to listen to thier transmissions. There was a time when anything you pulled out of the air was yours to do with as you please, as long as the transmission was not encrypted. Yeppers, still that way in the US.

You know...gathering wifi ssn's can actually assist location, such as navigation by wifi and gps and cell combined.

Gathering personal data...another topic completely, but if you are stupid enough to broadcast personal data by not locking down your systems, not much can be said against someone capturing it.

Then again, the tech who made the code is a little different than the person who wanted the code made, which probably goes higher than 'the' person writing it.

I still don't get how this matters so much to so many people.

I can walk down any block in anytown,usa and see the same thing that google saw the day they drove by.

And the people that lived there could look out there window and see you walk by, that's the big difference.

if your broadcasting its public lock your wifi
i could care less if google has my SSID and any thing else that my router broadcasts its not usefull to any one

Of course no one can pull the info once your Wi-Fi is SSID protected, using packet sniffers, or MAC spoofing:rolleyes:

Of course who's to say Google don't have a custom software that grabs that information, more effectively than what is on the market already.

Back