DARPA Proposes Satellite Recycling 'Phoenix' Program

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
DARPA is getting into the recycling business and they don’t do anything in a small way. DARPA is planning on recycling satellites in Earth orbit for reuse on future missions. The recycling project will take the creation of new technology to retrieve and harvest the space junk.

"Satellites in GEO are not designed to be disassembled or repaired, so it's not a matter of simply removing some nuts and bolts," said David Barnhart, DARPA program manager.

Oh if only I could get royalties from every project that's used my name over the years. :rolleyes:

say I had the means, what's to stop me from going into space and taking all the satellites?

are there laws governing space yet? Because I am thinking space pirate could be freaking awesome and a viable career choice.

say I had the means, what's to stop me from going into space and taking all the satellites?

are there laws governing space yet? Because I am thinking space pirate could be freaking awesome and a viable career choice.

I don't think darpa would appreciate people grabbing their... "weather"... satellites.

Depending on whose satellite you were trying to take out and what it's for, I would say a loaded pistol with a silencer on the end.

Yes, there are, and no, it's not.

Back