BitTorrent Throttling Internet Providers Exposed

HardOCP News

[H] News
Does your internet service provider throttle BitTorrent traffic? You might be surprised at what you find out.

Data published by the Google-backed Measurement Lab gives a unique insight into the BitTorrent throttling practices of ISPs all over the world. It reveals that Comcast was slowing down nearly half of all BitTorrent traffic in the U.S. early 2008, but only 3% last year. In Canada, Rogers has the worst track record as it systematically throttles more than three-quarters of all BitTorrent traffic.

In Canada it`s now common knowledge all the big ISP`s throttle Bittorrent traffic on top of having ridiculously small Data caps.

Small ISP`s & VPN`s are the only real alternative for this. For the few people who can have access to this.

Unfortunately I have to maintain Canada`s oligopolies are a great testing ground for all this before it rolls out to the US & other places worldwide.

Operation Occupy The Internet!

They just want to protect the 99% of users who don't use large amounts of data :D

thank god rogers is not up in northern ontario. The cheap bastards didn't want to install fiber lines up here so they didn't bother. Another company did though and i'm with them but i hope they don't get bought out by robbers.

i'm still enjoying my unlimited, unthrottled package.. though.. i'm paying 58 bucks a month for a 6mb connection :(

if your in Canada teksavvy is your best option, Bell and Rogers have both taken up this practice , throttle p2p (inluding games like wow and others) even p2p patch distribution

sadly my 5m..8m dsl is faster in games than my 25m cable was..and torrents work now

I've never really had any issues with Shaw that I've noticed. I quite frequently download files at >5MB/s, through various protocols.

Lucky to be with Teksavvy (on Rogers network!) with 25mb download unlimited cap no throttling at any time. If I was just with Rogers I'd probably be throttled even though I'm on their network.

Switched from Rogers to teksavvy, but unfortunately can only get the DSL. Waiting for the Rogers to release my local POI to teksavvy. Knowing them, it will take a loooongg time

It's great that Comcast doesn't throttle that much- as if I had a choice to go to another cable company if they did. :rolleyes:

Switched from Rogers to teksavvy, but unfortunately can only get the DSL. Waiting for the Rogers to release my local POI to teksavvy. Knowing them, it will take a loooongg time

same, rogers has been very slow at this, for obvious reasons.

Telus Optik ADSL here in BC. No throttling, works good, unmonitored data caps. Feels good man.

Unfortunately, it's not delicious synchronous DSL. Damnit 15/1.

Shaw throttles a lot though. That's partly why we switched.

I've had Comcast for a long time and I've never not been able to max out my download when torrenting (assuming the swarm is fast enough).

Its no secret my ISP throttles P2P traffic. I've did some comparison myself using paid VPN services and it was obvious that they were severely restricting P2P traffics.

Its unsurprising ISPs throttle larger uses of data. I know of some that throttle steam downloads too.

Cool, my ISP, Sky (in the UK), is one of the good ones.

They may be a bit quick to pander to the content providers (no surprise really since they are one themselves) but they've always done right by me, good speeds (including p2p) no caps, and cheap.

But then, they have a massive network (Previously Easynet) of their own rather than being yet another UK provider that just resells British Telecom bandwidth (Who are awful at throttling everything, not just P2P)

Back